You are splitting hairs. Garry stated that he was informed by family members that Travis had carved the maps. Period.
Did they see him carve them? I don't know, I was not there. Were you?
To all;
To me, and this is just
a personal opinion (addressed to everyone reading this) it does not really matter whether Travis carved them or Don Pedro de Gonzalez did it, really I would think that a PATTERN was used. The only reason I have not yet carved our front door (have an ordinary steel door there for now) is that I have not found the pattern we want. It is much more difficult to carve something entirely by freehand, than to use a pattern. I would think that with a treasure map carving, a pattern would be a huge help - in other words, I strongly suspect that the stone maps are a copy of one (or more) treasure maps that were NOT on stone but cloth, or parchment, leather, wood etc. The state of AZ had the stone maps classed as "curiosities" for years, and would make great decorative items for a treasure hunter's home. In fact several treasure hunters own copies of the stone maps and are using them exactly that way, as decorations. However where did this map originate? And I am referring to the map itself, not the stone maps but the map used as a pattern to create the stone maps. Or was it all just a work of imaginative art by Travis, or whomever the "real" artist was? Bottom line there really are other treasure maps, which seem to be very similar to the stone maps and may well predate them. Plus there were at one time, a set of cloth maps that were described as "identical" although of course for some people, the fact that a flat 2D map cannot be identical with a 3D physical map, for most purposes a flat map can convey the necessary information for the intended user. I wonder if those cloth maps were not the pattern used to create the stone maps?