Liberty Cap Largie and Draped Bust Half Cent! My firsts!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past weekend, a good friend and I went out to detect a massive cornfield in Central Pennsylvania. A 1700s house was located across the street, and my buddy told me that if I walked all day, I might find a coin, but the odds were slim.

He didn't account for my copious amounts of dumb luck.

Right off the bat, I got a 22 on my Equinox 600, and dug out this toasty Draped Bust Half Cent, my first half cent ever!!

DSC_0586.jpg

For some reason, this coin doesn't photograph well at all. In hand and in daylight, Liberty can easily be read, and I can faintly make out 1808.

Needless to say, I was extremely pumped, finding my first half cent within ten minutes of parking the car, so I took off and found some more relics.

DSC_0563.jpg

Oddly enough, I found a brass trigger guard and a .69 Cal. musket ball within 25 yards of each other. Not sure if either are military related. The thingie with the hearts on it appears to be the lid of a makeup compact or something. No idea what the oval thing is, and except for the braided edges, it has no design, and is made of brass.

DSC_0566.jpg

An unexpected find was this horse bridle rosette, with a photograph or drawing of some kind in it. Not sure what it's supposed to be.

DSC_0562.jpg

These IHP's weren't in the ground for as long as some of the other relics, so they're not as deep fried.

DSC_0584.jpg

My find of the day had to be this toasty Liberty Capped Large Cent, my first of the type and oldest American coin! It was about 350-400 yards away from the colonial house, and next to the yard of a 1900s built home. I was ecstatic with the find, though I could barely tell what it was when I tried rubbing the dirt off. At least it cleaned up well enough to tell what it is when you see it.

All in all, I had a great weekend, and I can't wait to go back next week during Christmas break!

Upvote 40

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread