Liberty Cap Largie and Draped Bust Half Cent! My firsts!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past weekend, a good friend and I went out to detect a massive cornfield in Central Pennsylvania. A 1700s house was located across the street, and my buddy told me that if I walked all day, I might find a coin, but the odds were slim.

He didn't account for my copious amounts of dumb luck.

Right off the bat, I got a 22 on my Equinox 600, and dug out this toasty Draped Bust Half Cent, my first half cent ever!!

DSC_0586.jpg

For some reason, this coin doesn't photograph well at all. In hand and in daylight, Liberty can easily be read, and I can faintly make out 1808.

Needless to say, I was extremely pumped, finding my first half cent within ten minutes of parking the car, so I took off and found some more relics.

DSC_0563.jpg

Oddly enough, I found a brass trigger guard and a .69 Cal. musket ball within 25 yards of each other. Not sure if either are military related. The thingie with the hearts on it appears to be the lid of a makeup compact or something. No idea what the oval thing is, and except for the braided edges, it has no design, and is made of brass.

DSC_0566.jpg

An unexpected find was this horse bridle rosette, with a photograph or drawing of some kind in it. Not sure what it's supposed to be.

DSC_0562.jpg

These IHP's weren't in the ground for as long as some of the other relics, so they're not as deep fried.

DSC_0584.jpg

My find of the day had to be this toasty Liberty Capped Large Cent, my first of the type and oldest American coin! It was about 350-400 yards away from the colonial house, and next to the yard of a 1900s built home. I was ecstatic with the find, though I could barely tell what it was when I tried rubbing the dirt off. At least it cleaned up well enough to tell what it is when you see it.

All in all, I had a great weekend, and I can't wait to go back next week during Christmas break!

Upvote 40

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past weekend, a good friend and I went out to detect a massive cornfield in Central Pennsylvania. A 1700s house was located across the street, and my buddy told me that if I walked all day, I might find a coin, but the odds were slim.

He didn't account for my copious amounts of dumb luck.

Right off the bat, I got a 22 on my Equinox 600, and dug out this toasty Draped Bust Half Cent, my first half cent ever!!

View attachment 2059912

For some reason, this coin doesn't photograph well at all. In hand and in daylight, Liberty can easily be read, and I can faintly make out 1808.

Needless to say, I was extremely pumped, finding my first half cent within ten minutes of parking the car, so I took off and found some more relics.

View attachment 2059913

Oddly enough, I found a brass trigger guard and a .69 Cal. musket ball within 25 yards of each other. Not sure if either are military related. The thingie with the hearts on it appears to be the lid of a makeup compact or something. No idea what the oval thing is, and except for the braided edges, it has no design, and is made of brass.

View attachment 2059914

An unexpected find was this horse bridle rosette, with a photograph or drawing of some kind in it. Not sure what it's supposed to be.

View attachment 2059915

These IHP's weren't in the ground for as long as some of the other relics, so they're not as deep fried.

View attachment 2059911

My find of the day had to be this toasty Liberty Capped Large Cent, my first of the type and oldest American coin! It was about 350-400 yards away from the colonial house, and next to the yard of a 1900s built home. I was ecstatic with the find, though I could barely tell what it was when I tried rubbing the dirt off. At least it cleaned up well enough to tell what it is when you see it.

All in all, I had a great weekend, and I can't wait to go back next week during Christmas break!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never hunted out, luck or not, patience and hard work will produce. Those early US coppers are awesome- Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread