Locked out? Hunt the roads..

Brivic

Feb 10, 2013
Magalia calif
Detector(s) used
GM3/ A2b/ etc etc
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a great area of old tertiary deposits; seems like it is all on private property. The stuff is for real, my mate has an "in" with a rancher. Tho I cannot break his vow to not tell where it is , I know where it is but I cannot get " in".
So I have looked into the laws of detecting on Public Right of Way...... seems that if the county has nothing to say, that the Army corps of engineers forbids it [ calif] or the NFS says all is artifacts,etc,, always someone trying to control you. Tresspassing laws will not allow going under bridges to small un navigatable creeks either.
Any ideas??
Thanks, Brivic.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....mineral rights are not always given up with easments either.......

Ricky Wgasa

Feb 11, 2013
Gold City (Oroville), California
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Getting to know a rancher may be rewarding in many ways

Cattle ranchers are straight shooters so to speak. I would think most would be open to allowing you onto his property for recreational detecting. Once you know one you'll soon know another and so on. I may be way off on this but the many ranchers I've met in Northern California may well be open to a reasonable request. Good place to meet them is at the local coffee shop.
I am new to detecting but know that research is likely the detectorist's best friend. Thanks for opening this topic. Good luck.
p.s. what little I know from past experience is that the ranchers often have access to public lands to graze their cattle.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cattle ranchers are straight shooters so to speak. I would think most would be open to allowing you onto his property for recreational detecting. Once you know one you'll soon know another and so on. I may be way off on this but the many ranchers I've met in Northern California may well be open to a reasonable request. Good place to meet them is at the local coffee shop.
I am new to detecting but know that research is likely the detectorist's best friend. Thanks for opening this topic. Good luck.
p.s. what little I know from past experience is that the ranchers often have access to public lands to graze their cattle.

..............as I eluded to in another post....with this Rush right now and people just going....most ranchers are flat pissed off at detectorists/gold hunters right now because people dont respect lands,and are sue happy

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I always offer a signed waiver of liabilty, and a dozen doughnuts doesn't hurt either:laughing7:

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do a little research on the property itself. Often property ownership does NOT convey ownership of the subsurface mineral rights. That's how a lot of these oil companies get oil that's on 'private land', they file on the subsurface mineral rights. Then they can gain access to the land.

OP
OP
B

Brivic

Feb 10, 2013
Magalia calif
Detector(s) used
GM3/ A2b/ etc etc
Primary Interest:
Other
G'day again. As a rancher/ hobby farmer with 150 acres, one time in my past. ,I was happy to see someone on the weekends .I used to let folks on the place untill the gate was left open. Took a few days to find my calves in the bush.
Now it is me asking permission. Yep, with waiver of all rights and an offer of 50% of my finds, also my word that I will fill all holes that get dug.Also respect the "dunny "issue ,by getting all my " jobs" done before hunting their property.
I would hope that is enough,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe a donut too

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....you know where they are coming from at least.Good luck,I get told,"no",more now.....by lifetime friends than ever....just have to not take it personal,cause its not...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions