rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well got me another field to hunt now its actually 3 but all connect. I will walk all the edges first. When I find some flint cobbles I will mark them at every section. After I find all of the possible camp sites on the edges I then walk the middle kind of like connecting the dots so to speak. Its takes the whole day just to get a idea as to where the good spots might be. I then look for flakes and debitage. After I see some I then focus on that area and look for the color of flakes I found. I found some Scrapers and Hammer Stones. The best piece I found just before a thunderhead was coming so I had to leave. I found 3 possible camp sites. I will try to get back soon as I can to investigate the areas better. HH, rock

Attachments

• SDC11082.JPG
    SDC11082.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
  • SDC11079.JPG
    SDC11079.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • SDC11084.JPG
    SDC11084.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • SDC11086.JPG
    SDC11086.JPG
    673.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is promising Rock…wish I had some fields to walk too…I'm sure it is only a matter of time before you nail down a point or two from this new spot.

:icon_thumright: ''New Field'' Hope your new field brings you a lot of really neat artifacts.

You've got a very nice start there rock, looks like it'll be a good site....good luck with it. :icon_thumleft:

I just wanted to point out to the people that aren't aware if you find flint cobbles in a field. The only way they could of gotten there is 2 ways. Either the water use to be allot higher or somebody carried them from the creek for a purpose like making arrowheads. Chert and flint form in water. I find most of the time if there is no flint cobbles there is no artifacts. Not a whole lot of rocks in those fields I was in yesterday.

Looks like you might have some success in this field. It is always a thrill to be able to walk a field for the first time. Never know what you'll find. Thanks for showing.

Looks like you might have some success in this field. It is always a thrill to be able to walk a field for the first time. Never know what you'll find. Thanks for showing.

Very true. I got thrilled I saw what I thought was a chopper. I carried it a bit trying to get the dirt off of it. Finally I saw the material and it gleamed in the sun light. I then knew what I had.........a big piece of slag glass. I threw it in the bushes. lol

It is always exciting to walk a new field. Even if you don't find much one year sometimes you find a lot the next year. It depends on how the field was plowed.

Yeah it is so big of a field I just tried to zig zag around some. It was still wet in some places from all of the rain. I need to get back before the grass starts growing up in the rows and covers everything up. I believe it is rite about a half mile long.

You will find them it will just take that right kind of rain ;) nice finds boss

You will find them it will just take that right kind of rain ;) nice finds boss

Yeah. I went to one of my good fields yesterday after a couple of little rains and for the first time in my life was skunked..........only found a piece of pottery.

hey hey rock
i am wondering what is that real almost black lithic?
you seem to find quite a bit of it

hey hey rock
i am wondering what is that real almost black lithic?
you seem to find quite a bit of it

I just call it black flint its from the creek. Raw pieces are in the creek but most are small cobbles so most of the artifacts are small that I find. its a real prize to find a whole one made from it. The ones I find in the creek are usually black but it also be the stain from the water that makes them that way. I found this one in the field.

Yeah. I went to one of my good fields yesterday after a couple of little rains and for the first time in my life was skunked..........only found a piece of pottery.

Ive been back since this post. Found mostly flakes and pieces. Im going to let the rain do its job before I go back to this field again. Better luck next time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back