Macintosh GPS mapping software question

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I used to use a Windows-based PC years ago, I had an absolutely fantastic GPS mapping program that allowed me to plug my Garmin GPS into my PC and up- and down-load information. I could view maps, overlay Google Earth photos, overlay topos, control the opacity of the layers, etc. I could look at a topo map, pick a spot or a route and download the data to my handheld GPS. Conversely, I could hike with my GPS, then download the route data onto a map to see exactly where I had been.

I loved it and it inspired me to do a lot of hiking and exploring. It was an invaluable tool for overlaying old maps onto new topos, finding great hunting spots (bow, rifle, and metal detector), and planning hiking trips. The user interface was convenient and very easy.

I haven't been able to find anything similar for the Mac platform. I found one similar program but it's so cumbersome and difficult to use, I get frustrated every time I try to use it (MacGPS Pro).

Any ideas? I would almost consider buying a cheap Windows notebook just to have access to this program again.

Thanks,
Bob

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That would allow me to upload tracks, waypoints and routes from my GPS to Google Earth maps. That is very handy... thank you.

I'm still looking for something that would allow me to view maps --even layered combinations of maps-- and download waypoints/routes made on them to my handheld GPS.

Good hunting,
Bob

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Google earth pro on a mac Has a lot if different interfaces to use. I love it.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try open source QGIS.
It's free, will do everything you want to do and is better than the expensive professional programs.
I use it on Mac, Windows and Linux.
Did I mention it's free?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread