Malabar Period/Fox Lake Brevard Co, FL Rpt.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real good post Tom.
I wonder if any of them swing a metal detector.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some Spanish artifacts showed up there.
I bet this story would be pretty interesting if they disclosed how they came to find out about the sites located in that area.. I have a pretty good idea how that happened.
" informant reports"

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thanks, Tom. I had to refresh my understanding of "Malabar Period." Maybe others will find this useful.
malabar_period.JPG

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in Brevard county and the presence of "sites" can sometimes be mind boggling. It's like at one time the entire county was a site. I have found pottery digging in my yard. I don't ever look anymore along the St. Johns River (private & State land) but it is the western border of a 70+ mile long county. The Indian River which is brackish/salt runs the length through the coastal portion. Food sources were so abundant that the Natives literally could live anywhere and be assured of food within a short walk. Stone artifacts are very rare but pottery and shell artifacts abound. There was/is abundant clay along the river and shells of course were everywhere so tools are shell for the most part. Tom and Gator are known "shell men". I personally have a hard time picking them out from among the billions of other shells! There was a state archie who worked his entire life until he retired recently, mostly in Brevard and Indian River Counties mitigating road and construction sites to preserve ancient sites and artifacts. Any small hammock along the St. Johns River has so much pottery you can gather a bucket full of shards in no time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread