Marking Nickels

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow cool adea i say do it. You can dump them out and spray them with orange paint!!! Some one on this sight did halfs ?? And he said he got some back. Great idea.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow cool adea i say do it. You can dump them out and spray them with orange paint!!! Some one on this sight did halfs ?? And he said he got some back. Great idea.

lol.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Marked my Obverse with 7-2-12 and reverse with A.S. Only did like 10 coins though. Don't want the dump bank thinking im trying to advertise on coinage :)

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking nickels??!!??

What is this world coming to.........

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking any coin = worthless
Not true its the best thing just knowing how your dumps move and come back. So you clad lovers pull your heads out of the sand and work it. you will
be very surprised what you find out!

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not true its the best thing just knowing how your dumps move and come back. So you clad lovers pull your heads out of the sand and work it. you will
be very surprised what you find out!

Has it caused you to change how you do your pick-ups or your dumps?

thtr12

May 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw 2 marked nickels in the last set of rolls I got, Just a number like 2 or 4 in black ink.
Never bothered marking them myself.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tim I think it's time. Time for a nice even coat of that Posh Pink if ya know what I mean.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has it caused you to change how you do your pick-ups or your dumps?
Its hard to change my pickups. But every one should try to pick up from as many diff.. banks as they can. I now bring $10.000 to $14.000 I was bringing $5000 to ac every weekend thats over 2 hours away 120 miles.And i don't get them back!! I go to ac to have fun. Plus i get 2 boxes to see if its any good. So far its not. But i only did 2 boxes a week for two weeks.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking coins would only tell you something if the coins all came from one source and you only supplied from one bank chain.

Outside of that you have no control of the next person who gets the coins and where they dump them, and so on and so on.

I just don't see any value to it, especially in big metro areas where there are dozens of bank chains, hundreds of branches, and each courrier service has multiple processing centers.

My 2 cents

Bigheed

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless you're doing on the order of 20-30 boxes of nickels a week, it's pointless damage to mark them... the odds of getting your dumps back are so slim, it's ridiculous.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes(rarely) when I get a box of nickels, and the rolls are not exactally in line with eachother, I get a red sharpie and dot each roll to make sure all 50 rolls are there... no big deal, i really don't consider that marking nickels though.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i could do 30 boxes of nickels a week, i would!! dumping becomes an issue at that point because nickels are large and take up a lot of space... in fact, i have a box sitting in front of me right now :)
Unless you're doing on the order of 20-30 boxes of nickels a week, it's pointless damage to mark them... the odds of getting your dumps back are so slim, it's ridiculous.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only will you find out if your dumps are returning to your bank (or not even leaving if the banks roll thier own off the coin machine). If you find a lot of coins with the same mark, could let you know if others are dumping in your hunting grounds which of course could mean they are hunting there to.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end it's nickels........is it really worth it to mark them? What's next, marking pennies?

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing gets people more riled up on here than mentioning "marking coins." Except perhaps how the coin carriers obviously cull silver. Lol. CRHers are fun! IMO I dont think its worth it. I am going to buy and dump no matter what. Plus I dont look for special stuff in halves much, so I am ruining the coins for a real collector.

Sometimes I do like seeing alot of marked though, sometimes those are the best boxes. I think because wherever these people are dumping there must be alot of volume being dumped in coin machines by John Q Public.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points Jon.

Marking doesn't really bother me, just seems like a waste of time if in the end you aren't going to change your dumping or pick-ups based on the coins you get back. Marking coins with huge mintages like pennies or nickels just seems like a real waste of time.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
thtr12, when I was a child my dad had a bag of nickels with numbers on them. He would have my sister and I pull nickels from the bag to use the numbers when playing the lottery. Maybe he spent them, but knowing my dad they went into his water jug of coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread