What's new

Marking searched coins

SnakemanBill

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
411
Reaction score
233
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed this week that I'm seeing quite a few halves that are marked up. I assume that someone is marking their coins after searching. Is this common for CRHing? Is the practice frowned upon?

I was thinking about marking a box before dumping to see if they come back and if so how soon would they start showing up in my new rolls. Thought I would ask first in case the practice is considered bad etiquette for CRHing.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah I did mark 15 tracker coins a while back. Reason being I found one myself, it was the first intelligent marking I had seen.
It was a number with a date and initials. done by someone back in 2005 and...it was the only one.
I dated it as found and passed it back into the system.

Sleeper tracking.

btw, the above post has so much info in it that it can save any new CHR a lot of time and grief.
And yes, it was ment to offend some people :) HEHEHE and it worked. who else is upset?
 
Dang, I'm glad I got in early, had my say and got out. I love threads like this. :thumbsup:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
Silver_Fox said:
Dang, I'm glad I got in early, had my say and got out. I love threads like this. :thumbsup:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
LOL
 
jewelerdave said:
Silver_Fox said:
Dang, I'm glad I got in early, had my say and got out. I love threads like this. :thumbsup:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
LOL
....and Dave, as usual, your posts are always one of the best, welcome back :thumbsup:
 
The Poacher is checking in on this thread......

Lots of "self-rightious indignation" being bandied about......

I marked about 5K coins two years ago..... still ain't got one of them back.

Any '74D seen with a red sharpie mark through the "we trust" is probaby outta Souf Jawja....

Lighten up, folks, they're just coins, and unless they have precious metal in them, they ain't worth squat ~~ other than fifty cents.

Let's go catch some shrimp.....

Robin
 
CaptainRobin said:
Lots of "self-rightious indignation" being bandied about......
Pretty big words from a swamp feller. Can you tell this CA boy what the heck that means :icon_scratch:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
It means some folks have their panties in a wad.......

Robin
 
OK everyone I admit it, I marked the coins and I liked doing it. There, it's finally out in the open for all to see. It's not a large amount. What's 3% of 4,000,000? What's a guy to do when you only make $10,000 a year? But I digress, let's see what color was I going to use today. Umm.
 
CaptainRobin said:
Let's go catch some shrimp.....
OK, you catch em & I'll fix em.

How you want em? I can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That's about it. :thumbsup:

(thanks to Benjamin Buford Blue for the best line in the movie)
 
Thinking about marking the next box of pennies... What do ya think? :tongue3: LMAO
 
capy325 said:
Thinking about marking the next box of pennies... What do ya think? :tongue3: LMAO

Spray paint them silver.
 
Mark if you must but no need to mark them all. pick out say 20-25 rough coins per box. (like LJ says)

Put usefull information on them (like JD said) with a narrow sharpie like a date and your initials.

Also like JD says you have gained a lot of info on this thread. But every area is different. Small towns may be closed systems, with the same 50k recirculating. But in big cities there may be millions of halves circulating and you may not see your marks again for years if you only do 5k a month.

Like JD said and most of us now know silver gets deposited every day in this country.

Even Jackson Metals and wise tellers can't stop silver from making it into boxes.

The fact is the more you search the more you will find. And the more you search the better the chance that your dumps will come back to you.

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom