What's new

Material Reference Thread

eastTNJoe

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
546
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we need a thread for people to add images of identification of material. I will throw out a few that I think are accurate. If someone disagrees with my ID please correct me....I would rather be accurate than misguided. Please add your own from your collection that you know or that you wonder about and want others to weigh in. Please put the location the material was found. Thanks!

20130731_215008.webpDel Rio Chert TN
20130731_215106.webpBlue Hornstone TN
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what I find in North Ga. I am sure there are more.
Shale, Quartz variants, Black Flint or some call it Skunk Flint, Jasper, Banned Flint, Milky White Quartz, Crystal Quartz, Quartzite types, Hematite, Root Beer Flint and many more I dont know the names of. Lots of types here. All of these personal finds.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2019.webp
    100_2019.webp
    186.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 100_2954.webp
    100_2954.webp
    162.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_3620.webp
    100_3620.webp
    135.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_3049.webp
    100_3049.webp
    121.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_2344.webp
    100_2344.webp
    81.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_2788.webp
    100_2788.webp
    164.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_2859.webp
    100_2859.webp
    169.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_2905.webp
    100_2905.webp
    127.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_2358.webp
    100_2358.webp
    97.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_3560.webp
    100_3560.webp
    131.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_3276.webp
    100_3276.webp
    105.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_3363.webp
    100_3363.webp
    140 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Agatized coral..and other Florida material

29983.webp



739537d1360601898t-big-points-forumrunner_20130211_115753-1.webp



IMG_20130417_163354-enhanced-1.webp
 
Last edited:
Baybottom chert

baysixmile.webp
 
Coastal plains chert

ForumRunner_20130801_001348.webp



ForumRunner_20130801_001703.webp



ForumRunner_20130801_001846.webp



IMG_20130417_163547-1.webp
 
More coastal plains chert.. there are several color variations.
This is more common in the St. John's River area.

ForumRunner_20130801_020426.webp



ForumRunner_20130801_020708.webp
 
Suannee River chert

IMG_5996.webp
 
rock 001.webplocal creek chertrock 002.webpsome people where finding points that we thought was taddhada quartz from Al. but we found this deposit just north of us. it is a quartz mat.rock 003.webpThis came from same deposit, but has turned to some type of opal mat.
 
Three variations of Dover chert /flint from Dover tennessee
 

Attachments

  • image-1119050069.webp
    image-1119050069.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 107
Fort Payne Chert
Tn/Ala

100_4385.webp
 
Last edited:
Bangor Flint/ Tn

photo copy 3.webp
 
FL coral, coastal plains (raw and heat treated)


Bluish water stain Coastal plains chert FL


"Greasy Agate" FL


River stained rice grained chert
coastal plains



pinhead coral


baybottom chert













coral







Conglomerate
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom