Maybe a Small Civil War Camp Site

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started the day early and took my daughter out kayaking, it was her first time. It was still early and nice out, so I grabbed my gear and went out into the woods. I dug a lot of shotgun shells and finally got a dropped 3 ringer at the top of a hill. A few feet away, another one. Game on. I started working my way around the top of the hill and found a spot that was full of melted lead, probably 4 or 5 bullets worth. On the one side of the hill I found the 2 buttons along with the pistol bullet. I found a total of 12 bullets. I put in about 3 hours and it really started heating up, so I called it quits. I will go back tomorrow morning and see if anything else pops out.

Woods.jpg Lizard.jpg Had a little friend helping out.

Button.jpg New York.jpg New York coat button, cleaned up nicely

Button Back.jpg Button Front.jpg Train.jpg Found this about 5 feet from the New York button. I did some searches on the Web, but wasn't able to find one just like this one. Anyone seen this one before?

Melted.jpg Bullets.jpg Key.jpg Found the top half of a key, wish I could have found the rest of it, I love these keys.

Pistol Bullet1.jpg Pistol Bullet.jpg This pistol bullet has something stamped on the bottom, under a magnifier it looks like a flower or a star?

Group.jpg Wood Bullet.jpg One of the bullets I found was stuck in wood, I peeled one side off to expose it.

Thanks for looking, HH.

Upvote 21

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice relics

Looks like a nice little camp site. I'd return and scour the area

HH Jer

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jacobsdt, you have definitely stumbled onto an awesome, old, untouched camp site...what a collection of great finds! I'm hoping there is a few more keepers hiding, so I'm looking forward to seeing them too...great stuff, thx for sharing...ddf

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic hunt! Cool buttons! :occasion14:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sites like that are hard to find. I'd be living there for a good while. Congrats on saving the history. [emoji106]

HH RN

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds theres sure to be more!!!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job finding the site and the finds. That button cleaned up beautifully.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I'd say you're definitely on a camp site. However, the Union button is an overalls button & much later (20s or 30s). Congrats!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe not a camp but possibly a picket post. Depends on how large an area it covers. Still I'm sure there is a lot more to find. That New York button came out great.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great work. Keep the photos coming.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!! Incredible hunt! Nice Red Eft also [emoji3]

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice discovery!! It's hard to tell what you will find in there !! Good luck!!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the idea of it being a picket post fits. In my opinion, I lean toward it being an overnight camp and not a long term one(unless there is a ton of iron signals, then I change my mind and it's longer than just a night or two.) Still...being a Union camp they discarded plates and other nice things even on overnight camps because they had such good supplies and didn't have to worry so much about things like the Confederates. It could also be that a much larger camp is nearby too. A super nice spot to grid off and I'm sure you'll find more goodies and a super spot for a plate to pop out! I would definitely look closely within an mile radius of there too and see what potential camp locations you can find and try to get on those properties.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Dig out the melted lead spot. Should be a fire pit, lots of nice relics ended up in the fire. Good luck, sweet spot.

OP
OP
Jacobsdt

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the idea of it being a picket post fits. In my opinion, I lean toward it being an overnight camp and not a long term one(unless there is a ton of iron signals, then I change my mind and it's longer than just a night or two.) Still...being a Union camp they discarded plates and other nice things even on overnight camps because they had such good supplies and didn't have to worry so much about things like the Confederates. It could also be that a much larger camp is nearby too. A super nice spot to grid off and I'm sure you'll find more goodies and a super spot for a plate to pop out! I would definitely look closely within an mile radius of there too and see what potential camp locations you can find and try to get on those properties.

I will agree with you on just an over night camp. I went back today and only found one more bullet. This is in the same area my partner and me found 3 US plates and 1 Eagle plate. It was about a quarter mile away from this current spot. We only found a few bullets with the plates. Maybe a few picket camps around in these woods, I do see possible old roads dug in near both these spots. Thanks for the input.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will agree with you on just an over night camp. I went back today and only found one more bullet. This is in the same area my partner and me found 3 US plates and 1 Eagle plate. It was about a quarter mile away from this current spot. We only found a few bullets with the plates. Maybe a few picket camps around in these woods, I do see possible old roads dug in near both these spots. Thanks for the input.
Hey that's super you found four plates in that area. A spot doesn't get any better than that! Sounds like troops were all around and that old roadbed could hold the clue to finding out where others are. Sounds like a great place to do some exploring for sure and look forward to any other spots you find nearby and you might find a really big camp still yet!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's not to luv about Virginia . The entire State was practically a campsite during the Civil War .
That is a plus when you have an interest in CW era of history . You are extremely fortunate to hunt the Great State of Va.
Keep exploring !

CMD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions