McCloud River, Mount Shasta area

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There sure is, but I won't tell. Mount Shasta Metal Detecting Club John Anderson 530.925.4103 msmdc.org

Awesome. I've made my trip for this year, but before next years trip!!!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
none on the mountain.
Lower McCloud might, but Sacramento River has color, for sure.
With lowest water in awhile, prospecting should be good!

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was up on the mountain did a very small amount of panning in the McCloud, I could not believe the amounts of black sand I got, like 45% of the material I dug was straight black sand. Really heavy, no gold!:)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be extremely careful as many indian holy sights and rituals take place along that McCloud arm of shasta lake. Once a year they open the dam and kayaking mania ensues as what a righteous run :hello2: John

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the heads up HJ, I was at a private home of a friends of ours so likely in an ok spot. What do you know of gold in the McCloud HJ?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen any and kayaked,panned a couple a times. East a I5 not so good till ya get past lakehead then geology changes on the east side. Have never seen any but ????????John

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the input John. Much appreciated!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold from Shasta Co., California, USA

Check out the link above. I have found that the data available on this site is pretty good for locating old mines, etc., in my area and this page should be useful for your purposes. Look for the coordinates on right hand side when you click a mine link and compare them to the areas you are interested in. Good luck.
PS: If none of these are reasonably close to your locale of interest it is likely you will not find any or much gold either.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good link also mines and Minerals of shasta county has a great map also with x marks the spots also. Gold is all over shasta just not the east(below lakehead) near as much. The west is long called the Golden Crescent since the late 1800s-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread