What's new

Medallion?

Cheeserock

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
40
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett AT-Pro Whites Classic SL-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This gave me a solid quarter signal. It seems to have a zinc-like center and a plating of what might be brass. It's pretty heavy. There is an area where the center is visable, some was broken off, maybe there was a loop for a chain so it could be worn around the neck. I'm thinking it's just a piece of heavy junk jewelry. Look farmiliar to anyone?

DSC01965.webp
DSC01973.webp
DSC01974.webp
DSC01975.webp
DSC01977.webp
 
Yes it looks very familiar. Its a Spanish Reale Mexico Mint replica copy made for souvenir purposes.
 
Upvote 0
I am going with replica also. The patina and other features just aren't right for the real deal. There have been lots of these found in the Treasure Coast area due to the high numbers sold to and lost by tourist in the area on the beach. I am not positive but I do believe that there is some marking or indicator on more modern replicas that will tip you off. There should be some older posts on the topic somewhere on Treasurenet.

Take Care.

DaChief
 
Upvote 0
I have this one somewhere in my files but Id have to search. Its a common souvenir replica but Id rather find this than a Zincoln. :icon_thumright:

Here it is. Dont forget no two genuine cobs are alike.
 

Attachments

  • spanish cob replica cocoa beach find 2007 rotated.webp
    spanish cob replica cocoa beach find 2007 rotated.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 237
  • spanish cob replica cocoa beach find 2007 rotated.webp
    spanish cob replica cocoa beach find 2007 rotated.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC01973.webp
    DSC01973.webp
    98.2 KB · Views: 232
Upvote 0
Yeah, after I posted I looked in the cobs section and found a photo of a fake that was a perfect match. Oh well, maybe "Today's the Day".
 
Upvote 0
The easiest way to tell is that it is not silver.
 
Upvote 0
Cheeserock said:
Yeah, after I posted I looked in the cobs section and found a photo of a fake that was a perfect match. Oh well, maybe "Today's the Day".
I wouldn't right it of just yet :P pour some bleach on the Silvery bit were some has broken off, if it turns Black, you have Silver :read2:

SS.
 
Upvote 0
You should put the green check on the first post. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom