Metal detecting in a cemetery?

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa and I were metal detecting outside of a cemetery where there is a little park . well someone called the police! I assured the cop that we wouldn't go into the cemetery. The officer said we were fine as long as you stay out of the cemetery. Then off he went . Well a month later a front page story in our local newspaper reported that two people were caught metal detecting in the cemetery and there is outrage in town how we have possibly stolen artifacts from loved ones who have plots there and the police city council and DPW are going to seek a way so this wont happen again! what BS ! Someone really has it out for me !

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, I'm confused.

You were not inside the cemetery.

Two OTHER people caught, or are they talking about you?

Was there something actually stolen?

With it being such a small town, you can talk directly to the police, and then to the reporter if you are the innocent party being falsely accused.

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were not in the cemetery and yes the story was about me and my grandpa and in the story the officers quote was " they were not in the cemetery " but the articles title says metal detectors in cemetery

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, sad and pathetic all rolled into one........and these are the resources we rely on for NEWS. At least they put the officers quote in the story.

Side Note - I wish my detector would hit a gold ring or coins at 6 foot.....

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the guy that was interviewed said that detectors can go 2 feet deep and are very powerful and it all depends on how far you want to dig

Walleyeman

May 14, 2015
MI
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was this story posted online? share the link if it was.....I would comment on it

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how to send a link but its on the newburyport daily news website

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I tossed a comment onto the page... for what it's worth.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see why anyone would want to go near a cemetery with one in the 1st place. Plenty of other places to go. Just asking for trouble, especially from the lookie lou's.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "detector owner" that turned you in doesn't want you on "his" turf! :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have many threads on subject of detecting in grave yards, they never end well. Please don't turn this into another one...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, sad and pathetic all rolled into one........and these are the resources we rely on for NEWS. At least they put the officers quote in the story.

Side Note - I wish my detector would hit a gold ring or coins at 6 foot.....
Sure is pathetic!! If you read the news (web & paper) it'll blow your mind what lousy grammar and numerous misspellings there are! Don't they have an editor or a proof reader? They should fire them both and invest the savings in a good spell checker software!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're really POed and don't mind getting your name out, Call the editor and request a retraction of the story due to the lack of or inaccurate facts. Might get you a chance to explain where you actually were and most detectors only get a few inches deep. If they don't give you the chance, let the readers know.

Almost fell off the chair reading the idiotic comment about it being grave robbery.....

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being the smart aleck I am...... I'd go over to the guys house and ask for permission to search his lawn. When he says no I'd ask "Why you got a body buried in your yard?" Of course the amera would be running to catch the look on his face!

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an abandoned grave yard while deer hunting one time. The newest grave was 1930. I went back and looked with my detector, didn't find a thing. Wasn't looking to rob a grave, just looking around the trees etc for coins.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people's kids have nothing better to do...........except make life hard on everyone else. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions