What's new

Metal Detecting VS CRHing

Coins4Cheese

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
657
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Which one is better, MD or CRHing?

Good thinks about MD:
Get to sometimes find old objects that are sometimes worth a lot of money
Find very interesting objects, sometimes objects that you can't buy
Thrill of the hunt

Bad things about MD:
You might never break even MD
Good metal detectors cost a lot of cash
May get in trouble with the law
------------------------------------------------------
Good things about CRH:
Doesn't cost a lot of money. You pay for what you find, and that's about it
Farily easy to find silver sometimes
Can hunt in any weather

Bad things about CRH:
Must have a lot of Patience
Bank tellers might be jerks sometimes
You might get reported because you bring in large quantities of coins all the time

Feel free to add your own!

Both hobbies are great hobbies. But, CRHers usually find more silver than MD's do. For example, MD's will probably never come across the silver LJ has found, IN THEIR LIFETIME. And LJ's only been hunting for a couple years. I saw a video about a guy on YouTube that found a silver coin by MD, and he's a well known MDer; he said it was silver #38 for the year or something like that.
MD's will most likely never reach the wheaties that shake N bake finds IN A WEEK. But, Md's do have a better chance at finding older coins such as Seated's and Bust's. This may sound like a stupid question, but why MD? CRHing produces the most finds in the long run right? True, we may never find a gold eagle or rings like some MD's do, but in the long run, IS IT WORTH IT? I'm not saying that one hobby is better than the other, I'm just asking, why do it?

Let the comments fly :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Coins4Cheese said:
TXTim said:
CRH= Quantity
MD = Quality

Sometimes, but not always. MDing is like looking through someones change purse 70 years ago, if you get lucky. MDing finds are not that great in shape if they're buried in the sand for 50 + years. I can prove wrong that the statement CRH= Quantity MD = Quality is incorrect. For example, you can find a fair amount of wheaites in a box, and a lot of them would be in good condition, and if you're lucky, some might even have luster! But sometimes this doesn't apply to MDing.
I dissagree. I have dug over 500 wheaties in my search for silver this year alone. At least half are VF+ condition. I can't expect mint luster from a dug coin tho. It's still quality. I don't hunt playgrounds, and I am digging Morgan dollars, rare IH's, Barbers, and this week a 1758 Spanish Reale. Many of the old silver coins that I have dug are VF condition including the Barbers, because they may have been dropped soon after being minted. Much of the circulated old silver found CRHing is usually heavily worn. ffd
 
[/quote]I dissagree. I have dug over 500 wheaties in my search for silver this year alone. At least half are VF+ condition. I can't expect mint luster from a dug coin tho. It's still quality. I don't hunt playgrounds, and I am digging Morgan dollars, rare IH's, Barbers, and this week a 1758 Spanish Reale. Many of the old silver coins that I have dug are VF condition including the Barbers, because they may have been dropped soon after being minted. Much of the circulated old silver found CRHing is usually heavily worn. ffd
[/quote] Yes, you do prove a point. So I guess you could say CRHing is to find select coins, while MD deverseties. You can find morgan's in Ikes sometimes, people still come across barbers, and you can still find IH for about every 100,000 pennies you search, although they are 99% of the time not rare. When you find silver coins, sometimes they are in good condition. For example, a lot of the '64 dimes looks like they were made yesterday. I think it is because people were hoarding them. But as for Barbers, Busts, etc, when you do come across one, they are very worm. I have a question. How come people dig up 100 + year old coins, and they have a lot of fine detail? Wont the dird smooth it out over time?
 
I dissagree. I have dug over 500 wheaties in my search for silver this year alone. At least half are VF+ condition. I can't expect mint luster from a dug coin tho. It's still quality. I don't hunt playgrounds, and I am digging Morgan dollars, rare IH's, Barbers, and this week a 1758 Spanish Reale. Many of the old silver coins that I have dug are VF condition including the Barbers, because they may have been dropped soon after being minted. Much of the circulated old silver found CRHing is usually heavily worn. ffd
[/quote] Yes, you do prove a point. So I guess you could say CRHing is to find select coins, while MD deverseties. You can find morgan's in Ikes sometimes, people still come across barbers, and you can still find IH for about every 100,000 pennies you search, although they are 99% of the time not rare. When you find silver coins, sometimes they are in good condition. For example, a lot of the '64 dimes looks like they were made yesterday. I think it is because people were hoarding them. But as for Barbers, Busts, etc, when you do come across one, they are very worm. I have a question. How come people dig up 100 + year old coins, and they have a lot of fine detail? Wont the dird smooth it out over time?
[/quote]Some coins, especially silver, do not accumulate much wear in the ground (depending upon soil type).
I agree with the brilliant uncirculated silver finds made when crhing. I will say tho that I can turn a dull, circulated Kennedy half or Roosevelt dime and within a matter of seconds make it appear like BU condition. ffd
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom