What's new

Military eagle whatsit

Gary66

Full Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
This thing is paper thin and I've been wanting some ID for quite a bit..any info or guess would be appreciated.

It looks like there was a spot at the top that a ribbon could have gone thru.

Found on land G.W owned.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1809.webp
    DSCN1809.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 951
This is the problem with comments online. One can't hear the tone or inflection of the comment, so it can be taken as a slur or a snide remark. But sometimes it's just all in fun. I've been guilty of it myself. In the future I'll try to be the duck and let it slide off my back. We have a hard enough time fighting ticks, heat, mosquitos, hard clay and hacking through roots.
 
Upvote 0
DirtDigler said:
This is the problem with comments online. One can't hear the tone or inflection of the comment, so it can be taken as a slur or a snide remark.
Very very true. Come back Gary. We dont want to lose any members. Maybe your just busy. :dontknow:

It might help if we all remove our comments that could be misunderstood.
 
Upvote 0
I worked hard on this Gary. What do you think? Do you think its a match? Could yours have a shield?
 
Upvote 0
Gary I apologize if I offended you any way.

I removed my questionable post and we're waiting for you to answer Gary!

Big Cypress Hunter has put a lot of time into this, the least we can do is work with him! Even if you were offended by the rest of us, you ought not take it out on the one that's trying to help you.

Come on Gary, what do you say?


Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
Thanks pilot. I removed one of my posts as well. I hope I havent offended anyone.
 
Upvote 0
No problem, BigCypress. I really don't think we did, but it's all subjective I reckon. Hopefully Gary66 will answer us soon!



Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
I've taken three more pics and as you can see this thing is hard pressed to reach an inch..second pic is thickness and third is the back pic.

Thanks for the help
Gary
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1819.webp
    DSCN1819.webp
    69.3 KB · Views: 499
  • DSCN1821.webp
    DSCN1821.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 495
  • DSCN1822.webp
    DSCN1822.webp
    38 KB · Views: 480
Upvote 0
Thanks for the new pics. :icon_thumright: I was just wondering if you thought it was a match. The size is right for a button. I definitely see a globe but Im not sure if it has a shield. :-\
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Thanks for the new pics. :icon_thumright: I was just wondering if you thought it was a match. The size is right for a button. I definitely see a globe but Im not sure if it has a shield. :-\

side view points to a top of button
 
Upvote 0
I see the longitude latitude globe lines.
 
Upvote 0
After looking close..yes there is a globe

It's so worn away I don't know if there was shield in the middle of the chest or not.

What year(s) would that have dated from if it is what you posted a link to?

See the only thing that has me thinking that it wasn't a button
is the slot above the eagles head. Like it did hang from a ribbon or
was a fob.

I do know that at some point there had to have been more to it
as it is paper thin and very delicate.

I believe you are on the right track tho.

Thank you
 
Upvote 0
Gary66 said:
What year(s) would that have dated from if it is what you posted a link to?
If its a 2 piece Geodetic Survey button like I think it is, it would be late 19th century-early 20th. Ill have to research it more. Yours looks like the thin front of a 2 or 3 piece button (hollow inside) 2 or 3 piece buttons are no older than about 1850 I think.






Gary66 said:
After looking close..yes there is a globe

It's so worn away I don't know if there was shield in the middle of the chest or not.

See the only thing that has me thinking that it wasn't a button
is the slot above the eagles head. Like it did hang from a ribbon or
was a fob.

I do know that at some point there had to have been more to it
as it is paper thin and very delicate.

I believe you are on the right track tho.

Thank you
ADDED: A fob or medallion would be thicker. I think it broke and just looks like a slot. Looking closer at your new pics and you can see a rough edge.

button gary found pa2.webp
button gary.webp
 
Upvote 0
I found another. This one made by N.S. Meyer. Buttons will have differences due to the different manufacturers. I havent found one without a shield but I think the wings are a match as well as the globe. The head is turned the same. It also would make sense where you found it. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28933
 

Attachments

  • button geodetic survey meyer.webp
    button geodetic survey meyer.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 0
Man I went through every button on that site and yes it is the closest one BUT...There is no shield period...it's
just the eagles chest. My sister and I both sat here with reading glasses, good light and a magnifying glass
comparing the two. The head has no upturn at all...it's looking straight over. Maybe an early version?

Oh and I think ya have it on the tear as well.

Thanks
Gary
 
Upvote 0
Dang...That's it.

Now what is it I wonder.

How in the heck do you guys find that stuff?...I sure do appreciate all the help!!

Thank you all :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Found a match, but not an ID :D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,251636.0.html

I don't think it's a button :dontknow:
Good work. Im glad you noticed this thread IS. Thats it for sure... found in N.C. I didnt even think of searching our own database that is continually increasing with finds. The slot is just corroded.

I wonder why its so thin? Is it part of something else or just worn. :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • Picture_100.webp
    Picture_100.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
IronSpike said:
Found a match, but not an ID :D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,251636.0.html

I don't think it's a button :dontknow:
:icon_thumleft:

Good match IS :icon_thumleft: the bird looks like a Phoenix not a Eagle :P

SS

I thought that as well, just wasn't sure why it was on a globe :icon_scratch:



http://www.ancientresource.com/images/coins-general/constantine-dynasty/cons-phoenix0279.jpg
I know of Roman coin's with that image, I've had a couple, but I think the Phoenix might be worth researching.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom