Minelab CTX 3030 vs Fisher CZ3D vs Tesoro Tejon Ground Test

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18" does seem big but I read somewhere that someone was using the 17" and pulling quite a few coins. I had always heard 15" was about max for using on coin sized targets, but maybe not?

Never tried the CZ 3D Newfiehunter. I've owned the F75 LTD, F5 and F2. Super deep and great relic detectors, but the noise was just too much for me when it came to hunting coins at schools and parks. Far too much trash in my area I believe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colosprings73

Colosprings73

Apr 17, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Fisher CZ3D,
Tesoro Tejon,
Whites 6000 di pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Detector Pro Pistol Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,
Wow.....
Did not realize how long it takes a thread to catch on.......

Update
CTX3030 IS MY MAIN MACHINE.

I traded my Tejon

AND WISH I NEVER SOLD MY CZ3D.

I have made some awesome finds IN VIRGINIA with my CTX3030 this summer.

I am just glad that all who have read this thread and watched my youtube channnel.

I have new videos to post.....however...I am also an aerial photographer and things have picked up the past few months.

Have no fear to my youtube subscriber's. ......I will post some cool videos next week and have some great digs planned....especially the Civil war site my brother a and I discovered. ........I need to update that video series as we have found some awesome items......

Thanks to all of you for subscribing and HH

Mark

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mark,

Glad you are well and kicking, thanks for visiting and the update. Look forward to your future video's. Thanks again for sharing.

OP
OP
Colosprings73

Colosprings73

Apr 17, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Fisher CZ3D,
Tesoro Tejon,
Whites 6000 di pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Detector Pro Pistol Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My pleasure. ...just wanted to make sure you all know my main passion is this hobby/obsession. ...:)

Adrian D

Aug 21, 2013
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fletch88 Im just wondering if you liked you garrett ace 350?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fletch88 Im just wondering if you liked you garrett ace 350?

I didn't like the bell tones or the yellow color. It had ok depth for that class of detector. I really did not use it long enough to say much more about it as I traded it in on another detector. If you are set on buying a Garrett, go with the AT Pro. It's much better IMO than the ACE series and will give you room to grow if you are new to detecting.

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your going to cover Pros and Cons then you will have to get down to a salt beach and repeat the tests when the results will be very different.

If you never hunt the beach then its not an issue,i live 20 miles from p'cola beach and never hunt their..:metaldetector: i would rather have a light simple and easy to use deep seeker..Yea i like tesoro's my supertraq is one,but my deep seeker is the tek t2 or cz6a,or even my gamma 6000..If you want to hunt the beach and land get a cz21,does both great..

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize the Tejon is a fine detector I just prefer a little more out of my detectors. Some 20 some years ago I would have been happy using something basic like the Tejon, but today I like a little more information before I break ground. Not bashing and I couldn't care less what others choose to use. I just happen to want a full featured detector.

I hear you. I went from an ACE 250 to a Tejon. I now find this interesting considering how many folks slam Tesoro for being "stone aged". Going from that ACE to my Tejon was a HUGE leap for me in depth and pin pointing capability. I love my Tejon and it does and does not bother me that it could stand a tech upgrade. This is a deep unit so I still respect the machine for that. But my lower back is shot and I like multi tones to help me decide whether to dig or not. I really like that feature in a day to day machine. So I relegate my Tejon to cleaner areas with deeper relics. Now if Tesoro brought out a multi tone Vaquero or Tejon I likely never would have bought my AT Pro., which has brought me a lot of pleasure. Swinging my Tejon is like a feather compared to the ATP stick with a brick on the end of it. Maybe the "do it all" machine is a fantasy and I simply have to tailor certain machines to certain conditions.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here. I started out with a basic beep-N-dig type detector and spent years learning the language of the detector. First time I used a good VDI detector I realized the computer was smarter than I was. Hum? It really boils down to if you prefer to dig a lot or not. I don't buy the idea people can tell what is in the ground just from the sound. I used sound for some 25 years and was damn good, and I was never good enough to say yup, that's a dime at 3" all right. In fact I'd personally challenge ANYONE who thinks they can take their beep-N-dig and tell more accurately what is about to come out of the ground than I can with my VDI machine. Of course, being able to tell what is in the ground isn't that important to some, and, you can never be 100% sure even with a computer. That is where personal preference comes in.

I spent several years lying to myself that my ears were better than any computer and refused to even give the new VDI detectors a chance. Once they went digital, as a programmer, I realized I was only fooling myself. No human ear can identify a digital signal more accurately than a computer. That's just foolish. My days of digging everything that beeps is long gone. I want to know what I'm going to be recovering, or not. I'm getting too damn old to be bending down for everything that makes a peep lol. That said, I don't blame any one who wants to. That is how you not miss a thing.

I respect those who choose to hunt without a good display machine but it's just not for me anymore.

And the reality is, how many targets did the VDI tell you was trash but was a gold ring or other prize target? Its a double edged sword in that respect. I have the CTX 3030, been hunting for 30+ years, had all the top of the line detectors, just ordered my first Tesoro, want to see for myself. Watch the links below with the Tejon, try that same test with a CTX 3030.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the reality is, how many targets did the VDI tell you was trash but was a gold ring or other prize target? Its a double edged sword in that respect. I have the CTX 3030, been hunting for 30+ years, had all the top of the line detectors, just ordered my first Tesoro, want to see for myself. Watch the links below with the Tejon, try that same test with a CTX 3030. YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By60muTPd6E
You won't use the Tesoro more than 30 min ill bet. I tried to go back to a Silver uMax after using CTX and Etrac just for a park coin shooter and couldn't go back to a single tone machine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread