Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If these guys can do field test videos in Germany why aren't the US guys posting any ? I guess I need to simmer down it will be here when it gets here. lol

I’ve been watching your videos. I’m a Max user, but I’m very intrigued with the hype yet the quietness in the US.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ML even gave his forum a little plug on one of their released EQ posts written by Steve. No hype there.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would be very happy if Minelab would make the equinox manual
Available before the holiday, I want the time and opportunity to
become familiar with its functions and settings.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Minelabs website.

Minelab is pleased to announce that the new EQUINOX Series of detectors is expected to be available for purchase worldwide from late January, 2018 onwards*.

Since we first announced EQUINOX at Detectival in September, there has been unprecedented market interest in this product range.

Volume production of detectors has started and will continue at a rapid rate across December and into the new year. Detectors are expected to be delivered to our sales channels in late January, subject to transportation scheduling.

Customers who have pre-ordered detectors should thus expect to start receiving them from late January.

https://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=324372

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this gonna be the Deus killer?

Highly doubt that. If anything ML Equinox is trying to copy XP even the form of the receiver. ALL previous models had a square looking control panel now the Equinox will sport a small rectangular control panel.

The wireless coil and it’s ability to be detached from the unit so you can scan walls , under bushes etc is still unbeatable.
I think that the Equinox is taking aim at the Garret trio of AT machines. One does not need to purchase 3 AT machines when they can buy one Equinox. Equinox will be like 4 machines in one.

I still think that the whip fast Deus will kick butt on recovery speed vs Equinox.

3C53AD68-71A0-4D4C-9680-B99B265ADB32.jpeg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Building on what 'scoop said - I have a Deus, I plan on getting an EQUINOX if it performs per the specs and pre-release hype videos I saw. The reason being that it has one killer feature the Deus does not have and one feature that is "more convenient" than the Deus. It has simultaneous multi-frequency operation This should make it perform better under certain challenging conditions such as wet salt beach and surf hunting than the Deus. Since it is fully submersible, it makes a "more convenient" water machine than the Deus where you have to add the antenna claptrap to enable the coil to "talk" to the headphones or control box when submerged. The Deus still has the EQUINOX beat on weight, portability, high frequency operation (max operating frequency for the EQUINOX is 40 khz vs. 80 for the Deus with the elliptical HF coil), probably recovery speed (though it looks to be close based on the pre-release demo I have seen), and perhaps iron unmasking. As a result, I will get an EQUINOX as my beach/water machine and to be used elsewhere where multi-frequency operation provides an advantage. The DEUS will likely remain my everyday Grab and Go machine and when I want to keep a low profile. So Deus killer? Not exactly. I think the machines compliment each other. I think EQUINOX will take a HUGE bite out of the Garret AT MAX market share as well as the Nokta Impact market share and Whites MX Sport demographic.

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Building on what 'scoop said ....As a result, I will get an EQUINOX as my beach/water machine and to be used elsewhere where multi-frequency operation provides an advantage. The DEUS will likely remain my everyday Grab and Go machine and when I want to keep a low profile. ...

I am looking at getting an Equinox for my swimmin* holes and shallow rivers edge in lieu of my ATP , I still love my beast Ctx3030 for saltwater/surf and large fields with my 17” coil.

As vferrari said the multiple frequencies and the waterproof ability is a huge plus for me and I can ditch my ATP ...IF it is what they say it is..

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to see what it does in iron.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to get my hands on one and start putting it through its paces. I want to see what others results are from around the country too. I dont hit salt beaches often enough so I will be looking for beach reviews (although I have already read one that is very promising). I think it will make the perfect companion for anyone with an FBS machine. One for deep high conductors, one for heavy iron and mid - low conductors.

I hope it wakes up my lake beaches for more gold!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to see what it does in iron.

Agreed. Hunting in iron is a skill that I haven't honed yet, but intend to...and to do so, running a top-notch iron-unmasking machine would be how I'd prefer to acquire/hone that skill. Hopefully (as I am expecting) the Equinox proves to be one of those top-notch iron unmaskers...

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't wait to get my hands on one and start putting it through its paces. I want to see what others results are from around the country too. I dont hit salt beaches often enough so I will be looking for beach reviews (although I have already read one that is very promising). I think it will make the perfect companion for anyone with an FBS machine. One for deep high conductors, one for heavy iron and mid - low conductors.

I hope it wakes up my lake beaches for more gold!

EXACTLY what I'm thinking, Jason...a perfect complement to an FBS machine. I like to think that with FBS and Multi-IQ, almost all bases will be covered. And not only "covered," but covered by two top-notch machines in their respective arenas (deep high conductors, and unmasking non-ferrous in heavy iron). If the Equinox can do in the iron what FBS can do as a deep silver/copper coin hunter... :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping the EQ would be a deep machine. Kind of a let down. I keep watching youtube vids of people digging deep holes and uncovering tiny silvers. Wonder if these vids are tampered

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping the EQ would be a deep machine. Kind of a let down. I keep watching youtube vids of people digging deep holes and uncovering tiny silvers. Wonder if these vids are tampered

Impossible to know if the vids were faked, but who says the EQ wont be deep? The only thing ML has stated is that it was not designed to outperform the FBS on low conductors. That is a simple aspect of frequencies used. The lower base frequency on the FBS means it should be better on high conductors. They also said the EQ has improved target ID based on better ground noise removal. Thats the REAL problem for us detectorists.... ground minerals are typically the limiting factor on depth. this is why we can dig insanely deep targets on those sugar-sand florida beaches. So even though this detector wasnt built to be a silver slayer, it could likely still be just as good or better performer.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI--

Just to carry on with what Jason said, I am not sure what made you think it won't be "deep." I actually expect -- due to the improved handling of ground mineralization -- it to be a VERY deep machine. If that 1 cm gold coin that was dug by Gordon Heritage (as shown on Minelab's web page) was anywhere near the bottom of the 10" deep hole he said he dug to retrieve it, that's impressively deep for that target, in my books...

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI--

Just to carry on with what Jason said, I am not sure what made you think it won't be "deep." I actually expect -- due to the improved handling of ground mineralization -- it to be a VERY deep machine. If that 1 cm gold coin that was dug by Gordon Heritage (as shown on Minelab's web page) was anywhere near the bottom of the 10" deep hole he said he dug to retrieve it, that's impressively deep for that target, in my books...

Steve

I guess it was more of the comparison between the fbs and Equinox. I want to find deep silver in those farm fields! It's all assumption until we see some real reviews or actually swing one in our own soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread