missing nickels?!

wabash river rat

Feb 16, 2007
i've had my cibola for about 4 months. finally starting to learn a few things about it. have found the usual trash, but i have been finding pennies and a dime every now and then. but i haven't found any nickels. the other day i had a buddy throw down an indian head he had. i swept it with the discrimination set past tab but not all the way to the top end. sensativety on 8 and it didn't make a sound. turned the dis. down to tab and got some chirping. what should i do. when i first got it someone on here said sens. on 8 and dis. on just above iron and dig everything. a lot of diggin' and a lot of trash, but i learned about my machine. would like some help with this one though. thank you

Godspeed

wrr

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Sounds like too much discrimination. The amount of rejection required to eliminate pulltabs will also eliminate nickels, most gold rings, and other desirable targets.

Discrimination is based on conductivity, and aluminum is more conductive than the copper-nickel alloy used in U.S. 5¢ coins. Some Indian Head cents (1859-64) are also copper-nickel, rather than bronze.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hey wrr, My Cibola discs out nickels between iron and the 5c spot. They can vary anywhere in that area so set it at iron and then thumb the disc to see where the target breaks up. You have to remember that gold, foil, and nickels are all in that area. Most of the time if I thumb the disc and it stops toning at the tab spot thats what it is, if it stops before that dig it!!! You may dig alot of trash but someday................ Good luck
Let me know if you need more help!!!!
Greg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discrimination is based on conductivity, and aluminum is more conductive than the copper-nickel alloy used in U.S. 5¢ coins. Some Indian Head cents (1859-64) are also copper-nickel, rather than bronze.
PBK hit the nail on the head. He knows what he's talking about.

Turn down the Disc. to pick up nickels, pull tabs, and just not beep on iron nails.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
wabash, as the others stated, you might turn the disc down to iron but also bring the sens. down a bit as well and recheck against a nickle and that IH. The Cibola is a pretty hot machine and if it's set too high on sens., it may decide it likes canfetti and other similar items over lesser conductive targets and mask them out. Practice with it and see what a sens of 5 or 6 will do. If your soil is a bit more mineralized, that can be another factor to keep in mind as well.

OP
OP
W

wabash river rat

Feb 16, 2007
thanks everyone for the info. it sounds like the advice i got before i got my detector was on the money,"set it to just above iron,sensitivity on 8, and dig everything." i'll do some more practicing in the next week. i've got two weeks of vacation coming and if i can get through the honey-do's i'm gonna md and fish. i'll try what you guys have suggested. thanks again!

Godspeed,

wrr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread