Mods need to do something...

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading posts here for a long time. And the last few years I have noticed a trend.

Someone finds something nice, like the CW ID ring in the banner. The first page or two is the normal congrats/banner vote posts. Then it turns into a crapfest. People telling the guy to give it to the family, people telling the guy to do this, do that. 7 pages of nonsense for the most part.

This also is happening on posts where someone finds something that is worth money. People chiming in about what the guy should do as far as the land owner is concerned. There is one post in particular where the poster stated that the land owners told him to keep everything. Is that good enough??? Not for some people, because they still keep posting, telling him what they would do in his place....blah blah blah..

It is time for these types of posts to get the same treatment as posts that call an items authenticity into question. They clutter up the forum and add nothing positive to the discussion.

It is no ones business what someone does with a find. Why are moderators allowing this behavior to go on?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been reading posts here for a long time. And the last few years I have noticed a trend.

Someone finds something nice, like the CW ID ring in the banner. The first page or two is the normal congrats/banner vote posts. Then it turns into a crapfest. People telling the guy to give it to the family, people telling the guy to do this, do that. 7 pages of nonsense for the most part.

This also is happening on posts where someone finds something that is worth money. People chiming in about what the guy should do as far as the land owner is concerned. There is one post in particular where the poster stated that the land owners told him to keep everything. Is that good enough??? Not for some people, because they still keep posting, telling him what they would do in his place....blah blah blah..

It is time for these types of posts to get the same treatment as posts that call an items authenticity into question. They clutter up the forum and add nothing positive to the discussion.

It is no ones business what someone does with a find. Why are moderators allowing this behavior to go on?
I always say ..you found it ...you keep it ......To me that crap about trying to find the owner is just that.......crap..... and it is no one's business but yours what to do with it............ those one's that say find the owner just like to look good to others.........and as for the mods as long as it does not break Tnet rules.... they are doing there job right..... But remember just because we don't like what some one may post that is no reason to delete it.......If that was a reason to delete a post i would have had a lot of my post's deleted.......

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryaan,

I agree, please report it when you see it happening, it is impossible for us to read all of the posts, just because a mod hasnt said something doesn't mean we are allowing it, it more likely means we haven't seen it yet........ We may post in a thread, but that does not mean we have read every post in that thread....... I read several hundred posts a day at least, but there are a lot more than that made every day........................I work on average on 10-12 hours a day............

OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, but its to the point now where you can almost "call" what is going to happen in a post as soon as you see it. The "moral" brigade will show up, and badger the poster with thoughts of what THEY would do. And they just don't post one time and leave it at that.

My point is, make it against the tnet rules for this behavior to continue. It really does take away from a good find. And I have found myself not posting things because of this behavior.

Why should someone who makes a good find have to put up with this crap?

OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryaan,

I agree, please report it when you see it happening, it is impossible for us to read all of the posts, just because a mod hasnt said something doesn't mean we are allowing it, it more likely means we haven't seen it yet........ We may post in a thread, but that does not mean we have read every post in that thread....... I read several hundred posts a day at least, but there are a lot more than that made every day........................I work on average on 10-12 hours a day............

Hey posted before i knew yours was on here. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and understand. I know we all have real lives outside of the interwebz as well and some things can get missed. I guess the problem i have is it is always the same 2-3 people ruining posts by constantly badgering the poster as to what they should do. I WILL be reporting them from now on however. Thank you. :)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately in the world today there is a (sadly) growing movement of people
who seem to feel they have a mandate from God to tell other people how to
live their lives. Most of these asshats can't manage their own lives, but they
are apparently perfectly comfortable telling others how to live theirs, and feel as
if they even have "ownership" over what another person has earned (or found).

The harassment is much worse if you are one of those folks who's worked hard
and become successful as a result. Our Government is telling those who haven't
been as fortunate that they have a RIGHT to some % of your wealth, simply because
you have worked hard and have more as a result, and they either didn't put out the
effort, or didn't have the good fortune you did on investments or choice of career.

I'm not surprised that there hasn't been a parade yet to honor some criminal that
stole a bunch of money from a wealthy person. Instead of jail
2617.gif
they'll get a medal
and a parade ...
bur2.gif

I haven't had a good find yet, but if that were to occur in one of my threads the odds
are quite high that I would simply tell them to Piss-Off, and that what I did with MY possessions
was none of their damn business.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it is pretty bad when a wonderful find is reburied under a mountain of crap. A mod did see this post however so there is hope.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ryaan,

I agree, please report it when you see it happening, it is impossible for us to read all of the posts, just because a mod hasnt said something doesn't mean we are allowing it, it more likely means we haven't seen it yet........ ............
.. Well i don't know what you are talking about...I see nothing in what has been talked about in this thread here that would cause ....something to be deleted........ We all say things like keep it .... no find the owner ..... that is just tnet we all have our own ideas ..... and we will stick with them ........ You can not pry our ideas out of our cold dead brains.................

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mods have a hard enough job without them having to also monitor all of our opinions. If none of the rules have been broken, move on. I like seeing the finds and hearing the stories of all the adventures, but I very rarely read beyond the first couple of posts. With threads that have asked questions, and asked for the input of other members, that is different, and in most cases educational.

OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, their job is hard. But talking to other members, friends who used to hang here, this behavior is making this site harder to want to come back to. I agree that with threads asking for opinions, that is something totally different. I am takling about threads that start of innocent enough and then turn into a cess pool of people telling the OP what THEY think he should do. WITHOUT being asked. It clutters up the forum and makes a lot of people not want to come back here anymore.

You find something nice/valuable. You post a picture because you are excited and want to share it with the community. Things go ok until the moral police show up and start giving unsolicited "advice". THEN these same people will make the poster feel bad for not donating/splitting/giving away their find.

You can't say this doesn't happen, because I can find you at least 50 posts where it DOES happen. People should be able to post a great find without needing to worry about the moral police invading their thread and making them feel like crooks for keeping something they find.

I am not making simple accusations. Look around the forum a bit. Look a the posts. Look at the behavior. If this is acceptable to you, then you are part of the problem. Not being snarky, Just stating that people should be able to post a good find and not have to deal with NONSENSE from a few moral police.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been on the site long, but I have seen some pretty viscious, rancorous attacks on people on the metal detecting forum. Seems lots of people get behind the computer and become Supermen with a bad attitude!

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I stated that I rarely read beyond the first couple post's. I appreciate the finder having his moment to share his new finds and adventures, but that is usually done in the first 2-3 posts. I purposely don't go looking for controversy, and as I stated just move on.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, I ask that when anyone sees it please report it, it violates our rules and will be addressed if reported...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

borlamm1

Jan 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ryaaan21.....to much b;¥£%*n not enough fishin ;) if u find it its yours.....possession is 9 tenths of the law. Be happy it was found n if ya r able to locate the owner n ya want to give it bck then do so....if not add it to ur collection. Big woop!!!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is the dilema...at what point on a public forum do you regulate the posters opinions and still have an interesting forum.I agree that the morality trolls bug me.....but....what the heck...censureship.Its kinda complicated in a way.but if treasure hunter says its against the rules...then prob solved.
Not an easy or simple thing say I....but rules are rules.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the dilema...at what point on a public forum do you regulate the posters opinions and still have an interesting forum.I agree that the morality trolls bug me.....but....what the heck...censureship.Its kinda complicated in a way.but if treasure hunter says its against the rules...then prob solved.
Not an easy or simple thing say I....but rules are rules.

Report it and let the mods here decide if it is a rules violation.

TN is a private own forum with public access.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pickin up what yer layin down treasure hunter.If I am offended by the practices of others I will be sure to tattle asap....jus kiddin...I moderate a poker site and know how tough it can be......all good but dont expect to hear from me in a pm anytime soon.that also is allowed.hh

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pickin up what yer layin down treasure hunter.If I am offended by the practices of others I will be sure to tattle asap....jus kiddin...I moderate a poker site and know how tough it can be......all good but dont expect to hear from me in a pm anytime soon.that also is allowed.hh

Just stating it is impossible for mods to find all problems with out members help. Reports are kept private among mods, we do not reveal who reported post.

We don't consider it tattling it is helping keep TN enjoyable for most members ...

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The "Do Gooders" as my Australian friends call them, ruin everything. I've had do-gooders work very hard to get city parks and recreation departments to revoke my written permissions to hunt sites, I've had them curse me for Working hard to find an historical site, dig it, and donate the artifacts to the local museum, even! They feel it should all stay in the ground, until Harrison Ford and Harvard University can come and dig the Tutankhamon treasure up. Europeans are so much more understanding (for the most part); that's why I travel all the way to Europe to dig! At the airport in Munich, when they looked at my finds, they were basically "Ja, we have this stuff and plenty more to spare. We are glad you had fun digging up this stuff; come again!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread