What's new

Motley day!

tnmudman

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2017
Messages
709
Reaction score
1,537
Golden Thread
0
Location
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found several good peices today, but the motleys blew me away. I found them about 20 ft apart within 5 minutes of each other. You could call these heartbreakers because of the tip damage but they made me pretty dang happy. 1021181756c.webp1021181757a.webp1021181759c.webp1021181759.webp1021181753a.webp1021181754d.webp
 
Upvote 0
I would be smiling...:thumbsup:
 
Looks like a great day , so what’s the piece in last pic and also what’s the point in group pic closest to the big chunk or core of the red rock maybe jasper or flint but the grey flint point looks nice the squared base looks olderImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1540166823.898516.webp
 
Im not sure arrow, it is different for sure, the flaking on it isnt anything special though. The last picis a piece of shaped hematite I think. It has facets to it, looks like its been in fire.
 
Thanks for additional pics .... both of those pieces are really interesting
 
Does the chunk of hematite have an edge? It looks like a small celt from here.

You had a fine day of walking there, congrats.

Definitely looks like something of that nature but is that material hard enough for that looks softer either way I’d be hanging onto it
 
It just looks that way in that pic Joshua, it it squared off on the end and it is a hard material arrow I could be wrong on what it is exactly though, but it has certainly been worked into shape and is an artifact.
 
Hematite celts are pretty common in MO, where there is a supply of good quality hematite. Gary
 
I dont see a thing in those finds I wouldnt of been thrilled to find. Liking the Hematite piece might be some kind of tie on item. We need more pics of it all sides, rock
 
Chisel comes to mind on the red one but still uncertain also I am not that far from you and have never found a Motley but do want to there nice
 
Great finds.Congrats
 
I think the red piece is a paintrock, at least that is what I have heard people call them . I have another one in my collection that my brother found, I will post some pics of it too if I can find it.Thanks for the comments. I have seen some hematite celts found here, I think I posted a pic of one a freind of mine found.It was huge. This piece I found doesnt have a bit end on it ,its flat on the edges, I think that line across the bottom was scribed on there not a plow mark.
 
The one in the bottom right corner is the one my brother found. It is of the same material.
 
I think the red piece is a paintrock, at least that is what I have heard people call them . I have another one in my collection that my brother found, I will post some pics of it too if I can find it.Thanks for the comments. I have seen some hematite celts found here, I think I posted a pic of one a freind of mine found.It was huge. This piece I found doesnt have a bit end on it ,its flat on the edges, I think that line across the bottom was scribed on there not a plow mark.

I agree. I find a bunch of them here in my area too. Great looking finds. That was a very productive hunt.
 
Do you think those two are motleys? That was what I thought as soon as I found them. Motleys are a pretty rare find around here but I know of at least one which was. These would be my first ones I think, if thats what they are.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom