Mud ball fights , rock battles , BB gun wars ......

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
and other ignorant things we did as kids that helped us become survivors as we grew older .
Share your stories of what happened when a group of unsupervised kids got together 'back in the day'.....
Know how to make 'killer' darts out of corncobs and chicken feathers ......hand grenades from sun dried clay or apples and firecrackers ......plan a weekend BB gun war ......?
Tell it so some folks will understand what a sheltered life they lived growing up ;D

K

Kentucky Kache

I made bows and arrows out of sticks and string. Man, that was fun. And I still have both eyes.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to have rock and walnut fights with the kids across the alley. Used trash can lids as shields.
Scott

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We would take a spoke from an old by cycle wheel, screw the spoke nut on backwards, cut the white tips off of 8 or 10 kitchen matches with a pocket knife and tamp them in to the end of the spoke nut with a match. Once you have all the match tips in the spoke nut, you press the match in the nut Tit and brake it off leaving about 1/4 in. from the nut. Then you would light a match and hold it under the spoke nut until the match heads would ignite and shoot the broken match at your target. I know it sounds like a lot of trouble for a little bang, but we thought we where doing big...........................Gator-Flea..............................

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Back in the day dad would buy us boys firecrackers and we would fold ketchup packets arround them with a piece of tape. We would run arround with lighters and have our "war games". Kinda like early paint balls I guess ;D

I would not dream of letting my kids do that now....... Dad was the greatest :notworthy:

VPR

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Back in the day dad would buy us boys firecrackers and we would fold ketchup packets arround them with a piece of tape. We would run arround with lighters and have our "war games". Kinda like early paint balls I guess ;D

I would not dream of letting my kids do that now....... Dad was the greatest :notworthy:

VPR
I teach all my grandkids how to handle explosive ordinance in unacceptable ways the same as I did with their parents .
I'd rather they came home with all their fingers and both eyes intact than go to the emergency room to
find out how badly they are hurt from something an untrained kid from another family presented to them
in a 'Hey,Y'all ! Look at this !' scenario .

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never felt like I was to destructive, but did have a back yard range of miles and miles of woods and wilderness. We done alot of Rattle snake and copper head hunting,searched for Scorpions,Dirt bike riding, four wheeling and learned very well how to use firearms,bows, and would do alot of practice throwing knife and tomahawks into stumps and just enjoyed the outdoors.

I sure miss those days,
Nova Treasure

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
We used to go to the RR track and find big bolts and nuts. two bolts and three nuts threaded together to lock, fill the center nut with match tops ans carefully screw tight. then up on the roof, throw them down, Bang!!! and the bolts would go away, sometimes a block away. and then there were renuzit gallon cans ,with about an inch of the stuff left in it. punch and then solder a hole in the cap, screw it on tight, toss it on a fire and run~~~ the solder would melt the vapors would ignite and KA BAM you would have a flat piece of tin Bob,

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
we used to take pieces of pipe and bottle rockets and have bottle rocket fights. You would be amazed how accurate you could get with practice. Thought I was in high cotton when we had a couple of broken lawn chairs we sawed up and used the curved tubes as "guns" to shoot out the rockets.

We would also get a wagon and a couple of pieces of string. go up onto this BIG hill and ride the wagon down at incredible speeds and then crash at the bottom. No helmets, no pads and we survived.

The STUPIDEST thing I EVER did as a kid was have tressle races with a couple of friends. We lived by railroad tracks and three of us boys would wait by the tressle until we could see the train about 1/4 of a mile away on a flat stretch, we would then take off running accross this huge tressel and try and make it across before the train got to us. There was always a small pond about 20-25 feet under the tressel but I don't know if any of us would have survived that kind of fall. We survived that but I sure don't know how looking back now. Had some REALLY close calls a few times. And finally got busted by the police and had to stop.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
lead pipe with one end capped - lit firecracker - marble dropped on top gave you a handheld mortar that would destroy a plate glass window and leave no evidence.
bottle rocket laid on paper plate and lit while riding a bicycle so you could joust.
rusty can lids used like ninja throwing stars.
playing baseball with rocks for balls bare handed. siegfried schlagrule

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Getting my first chemistry set! Grab a heap of potassium nitrate, a helping of powdered iron, hit the mix with a shot of sulpher, carefully blend together in mom's wooden salad bowl... and you have your own blackcat firecracker (minus the cardboard casing and fuze)! My uncle taught me how to make my own fuze using kite string soaked in a mixture of... never mind. I guess that kind of knowledge is now verboten to the kinder of today. But we had a blast blowing-up everything! AND, to top it off, when we ran out of chemicals, we had a hobby store that carried chemistry sets and replacement chemicals- just buy some more. No license, no ID required. They actually sold this stuff to kids back then!

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
I accidentally caught my backyard on fire one time about 6 or 7 years ago (I'm 15) and last summer I blew up an M-80 in my hand. lol

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
I really don't do much because my mom is paranoid and she doesn't let me go anywhere or do anything, but in the summers I go to my great grandma's/great aunt's house with my cousins and we have fun on July 4th :headbang:
Last July 4th me and my cousins got lots of fireworks and artillery shells were the best but unfortunately they only shot one thing at a time and so I tied 3 together and put them in the tube and 1 of them didn't go up very high and it blew up about 8 or 9 feet above the ground so we stuck with tieing 2 together.
That's pretty much the only time I am able to have fun.

B

BIG61AL

we would have acorn fights. We gather up wagons, boxes coolers full of acorns and put them it the card board tube from gift wrap paper and fling at each other....one side of the street fighting the other side.....when we done there would be thousand of nuts litering the street
we would ride our bikes about twenty miles away to the next town and none of our parents would know where were until we got home.
we use to have bottle fights....you gather up empty soda bottles [real glass back then] and two us would stand apart and throw the bottles in the air to get them to smash into themselves to create a shower of broken glass.
if i got bored I would line up the old Pepsi bottles [10 inches tall???] in the street and just wait until someone would not see them and break them with the under carridge sending a spray of glass out from under the car
wow...i sound like a hellion...did not think i was a bad kid until just now

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
jlb783 said:
I accidentally caught my backyard on fire one time about 6 or 7 years ago (I'm 15) and last summer I blew up an M-80 in my hand. lol
Lord have mercy ! Friend , you Have to make friends with some crusty old fellow past 55 that can show you the safe way to apply fire to things that explode while you still have some fingers .....
This is exactly the point I was making on how I trained my own children and what I teach my grandchildren .

woodwizard

Mar 28, 2009
those were the days-my a$$ still burns whenever I think back on the thrashin i got the time caught kitchen ceiling on fire makeing smoke bombs out of salt peter and sugar and over heated the mixure.I'ld give the recipe but you never know where big brother is nowadays.will tell ya that a 1lb coffee can of this stuff would fill a city block with no problem

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
truckinbutch said:
jlb783 said:
Lord have mercy ! Friend , you Have to make friends with some crusty old fellow past 55 that can show you the safe way to apply fire to things that explode while you still have some fingers .....
This is exactly the point I was making on how I trained my own children and what I teach my grandchildren .
It wasn't my fault, I found it in elementary school near the playground and when I got home my dad put it somewhere and I got it out last summer and noticed that the fuse was real real short and so I took the top off and put some toilet paper in and lit it and put it on the ground and after a while it didn't blow up so I did the safe thing to do and I waited a few minutes and then picked it up and when I did I noticed there were still some embers and I was going to try and get them out and then I heard a ssss and thought ohh sh!t and then boom! Suprisingly it did not heard at all (my hand just went numb) it just scared the sh!t out of me. lol
I do know how to handle explosives I was just careless that time because I thought that surely since I've waited more than 5 minutes after it should have gone kaboom there would be know embers or anything.
Come to think of it, it was actually 2 years ago not that it matters.
And I caught my yard on fire cause I was screwing around with a lighter and lighter fluid and I was only 7 or 8 or 9.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Anyone rememder those Roman candles, long tubes about 15 or so inches long. You were supposed
to put them down in a bottle & light one end, almost like a bottle rocket, but these shot about 15
or 20 colored balls? about 100 feet or more. We used to hold them & shoot them at each other in
the dark. It was like a star wars weapon at night & they really moved.

NEAL

Feb 12, 2007
Rives
I remember going swimming in the gravel pit next to the train tracks. We would find small boulders, jump in while holding on to them just to see if we could touch the bottom. The farthest any of us got was my buddy Dave, he ended up with a few stitches on his head from the crane that was abandoned at the bottom.......good times.

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Ankh said:
As for the fire works.I stumbled on a web site that had an unsuspecting additions or two that one would never think would be there. www.thegunzone.com scroll down to "a tough way to go" and "Leading Darwin Candidates" If you are squeamish do not even bother looking extremely graphic one guy didn't make it,the other was alive when the pic was taken.
Geez... did you see the one where the guy got bit by the K9?
That would suck!! BAD!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread