My Bank Called Me Today CHECK THESE OUT!

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a call from my bank mgr. today, she said, "we took in some old silver dollars can you come over and check them out?". I took my loop, scale , magnet and a couple of real silver dollars to see what was up. There are 34 pieces and I knew right away they where all counterfeit...The teller that accepted the coins felt bad, she was thinking of me when she took them in. Anyway I offered the manager 34 dollars to take 'em off their hands. The coins are all under weight @ 19g and stick to a magnet. I'll have some fun giving them away as gifts or dropping them in front of one of my buddies on the beach while detecting.

IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0048.JPG

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wildcarrot,

Yeah I had a similar experience at a stamp club meeting a fellow member brought in some old US silver dollars that a friend of his had and asked for my opinion.

Like yours above they were all from the classic period and looked a bit off....I had a magnet on my keychain and sure enough they all stuck....lol...
just modern knock offs from China.

Regards + HH

Bill

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really sucks. You would think the manager would have had a look at those before buying!

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow...They seem to have silver lustre to them, even though you could tell they're fakes by the way they carved the dates and in some of them Liberty's head too. They don't even have much of the pitting cast fakes often have. No noticable seams either - just shallow details and others that are "off."

One of the jewelry stores I buy scrap coin from still has around 200 similar fakes he found in his safe from when he bought the business. I wanted a few so I can goof on people with them but he wanted to keep them for the same reason.

Good thing you had your magnet.

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Class act by buying them anyway. :icon_thumright:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trade with china has and always will suck!! hope they have the mook who passed that trash on video, love to see their face when Secret Service rolls up to his home code 3. got a fake quarter in a roll last year, went in the trash can

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Are some of those copies of newer silver commemorative dollars? I think I spy a 1986 Statue of Liberty silver dollar and another newer one.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are some of those copies of newer silver commemorative dollars? I think I spy a 1986 Statue of Liberty silver dollar and another newer one.

I see the 1986 90% silver immigration dollar too, I doubt someone would counterfeit that since it's only worth just above melt.

@op, you did the right thing taking them off of the tellers hands, you turned what could have been a potentially bad situation for her into a stronger relationship from the bank. Now that she's a little more educated maybe next time she'll call you when some real solid rolls come in!

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I see the 1986 90% silver immigration dollar too, I doubt someone would counterfeit that since it's only worth just above melt.

@op, you did the right thing taking them off of the tellers hands, you turned what could have been a potentially bad situation for her into a stronger relationship from the bank. Now that she's a little more educated maybe next time she'll call you when some real solid rolls come in!

+1 - that was nice of you. no way she could have known any better.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife was once a teller and any counterfeits had to be turned in....but to who I do not know. Good thing you are on good terms with the bank, ya got your foot in the door, so to speak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread