What's new

My best find this year!

rockheadhunter421

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
350
Reaction score
193
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this awesome blade in Surry Co., NC, near Pilot Mountain. Back in February, we had a few winter storms come through. One day after the snow/ice had melted, I decided to make a venture to the park. Sometimes I will jog/walk up to 3 miles a day. I never thought I was going to find this. If it wasn't for seeing that smooth flat surface, I probably would have passed right by it. I should have took an insitu but I was so excited I ran to the nearest creek and rinsed off the mud. Once I finished jogging, I took the picture of it sitting on a bridge at this public/recreational park. Actually, this is the best blade I've ever found!
 

Attachments

  • 0311141646.webp
    0311141646.webp
    180.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 0311141647.webp
    0311141647.webp
    375.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Depends on what it is for the age. The flaking being scattered I would guess Woodland period
 
Personally I would need some diagnostic artifacts like projectile points and a pretty good knowledge of the general area it came from to be able to put together a picture of the site .. to make any kind of determination of how that piece fits in to the larger picture.
 
Nice and large....pretty color to!
 
Agree
 
Last edited:
Personally I would need some diagnostic artifacts like projectile points and a pretty good knowledge of the general area it came from to be able to put together a picture of the site .. to make any kind of determination of how that piece fits in to the larger picture.

I knew that was coming! This one as you know was found completely isolated. However, if I do find anymore evidence in that general area that necessarily doesn't mean that we can still determine the age. A quantitative amount would a least give us a better idea at least. Who knows, someone may have already picked up all that evidence. What does T.W.S.S. mean? That's what she said? lol.
 
Looks like an adze to me.Most of the ones I find in Maine are pecked hard stone.I have some from Illinois that are flaked.Don't believe it to be a hoe they are usually bigger considerably wider....mjm
 
Looks like an adze to me.Most of the ones I find in Maine are pecked hard stone.I have some from Illinois that are flaked.Don't believe it to be a hoe they are usually bigger considerably wider....mjm.
 
Looks like an adze to me.Most of the ones I find in Maine are pecked hard stone.I have some from Illinois that are flaked.Don't believe it to be a hoe they are usually bigger considerably wider....mjm.

I've seen some pecked hard stone adzes before but not a flaked one. I never thought this one would be an adze anyway so I'm very happy that I found one. It adds more diversity to my collection.
 
Oh yea, thanks to everyone for their replies and helping me figure this tool out. I really appreciate it! Happy huntin'!!
 
Here's a few different kinds of adzes to look at.The first is an Illinois chipped adze .The next three are from Maine the first is both chipped and ground.I've only found one of these.The littlest one is my smallest and is chipped.The last is my largest and is pecked.I have six or seven more of different varieties.Some adzes can be multipurpose with different bits on each end.That's the one I'm waiting to find or maybe one with an effigy on it.....mjm
 
Here's a few different kinds of adzes to look at.The first is an Illinois chipped adze .The next three are from Maine the first is both chipped and ground.I've only found one of these.The littlest one is my smallest and is chipped.The last is my largest and is pecked.I have six or seven more of different varieties.Some adzes can be multipurpose with different bits on each end.That's the one I'm waiting to find or maybe one with an effigy on it.....mjm

Were you going to attach pictures?
 
Sorry here you go..mjm

ForumRunner_20140409_145241.webp
 
Wow that is a huge adz! That flaked adz is pretty too! 8-)
 
I found 1 in the creek I hunt. Its not big but has some nice color to it and its a flint type not the usual black I find. Its the only type of artifact I have found made from this type of flint. OK I just left it in the frame, been in the creek all day and am tired.
Its the one on the right.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10792.webp
    SDC10792.webp
    808.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I have some very small adze bits.. Think in terms of a set of different size chisels. Different jobs require different sizes
I have a couple of quartz adze bits smaller than the one shown here. They still have the typical curvature in the bit and have a sharper edge than this piece. I can see the flaking on this piece allows an adze like hafting. I'm not sure.
 
I think the material being rhyolite is a little different. I've seen a few pecked stone ones before from NC in a local collection. I'm sure someone somewhere has rhyolite ones in their NC collection. I'm going to my first artifact show in Clemmons, NC on May 3rd. Maybe I'll get to see some there.
 
Those two Maine adzes are rhyolite...
 
Here's a rhyolite chipped celt that is similar to yours. Like the rest said yours looks more like an adze. It was in with the cache pictured with makes it easier to date.
017 (800x600).webp
 
Scrocks are you referring to the larger tool you have in there.The smaller one next to it looks like an adze but can't tell from here...mjm
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom