Beach Papa
Hero Member
- Joined
- Apr 25, 2012
- Messages
- 586
- Reaction score
- 271
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- East Coast
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
- Primary Interest:
- Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wife and I spent 3 days at the beach for my birthday so I could metal detect. Great weather, good exercise, lots of fun and a little treasure. I found my biggest silver on the last day. I also found a total of $2.50 in change, a deteriorated wallet with a foil packet in it along with some cards, including one credit card but no cash or drivers license, and the usual tabs, caps and junk jewelry. The chain is 51 grams.
There was a post a week or so ago with a discussion about the dangers of using Tarn-x to clean silver. Ron Lord suggested using salt and vinegar as a safer alternative, especially around kids. I have used Tarn-x in the past and washing soda in heated water over aluminum foil. Both methods work pretty well, but neither one seems to get the tarnish out of the deep crevasses of silver jewelry, even with a tooth brush. So I decided to try the salt & distilled vinegar over aluminum foil in a glass bowl. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. First, the mixture produced bubbles with a rotten eggs smell, so I knew it was releasing the iron & sulfur from the silver. I let it soak for several hours and then took a tooth brush to the chain. Not clearly visible in the first photo is a lot of tarnish deep between the links in the chain. The tooth brush seemed to remove most of the tarnish which wasn't removed by the electrolysis action of the salt & vinegar. After the tarnish was removed I put some polish on the chain and rubbed it in, and added a decent clasp in place of the junk that was on there. I will probably never buy another bottle of Tarn-x. Thanks Ron Lord, good suggestion, and really glad I was able to find some big silver to try it out on. LOL


There was a post a week or so ago with a discussion about the dangers of using Tarn-x to clean silver. Ron Lord suggested using salt and vinegar as a safer alternative, especially around kids. I have used Tarn-x in the past and washing soda in heated water over aluminum foil. Both methods work pretty well, but neither one seems to get the tarnish out of the deep crevasses of silver jewelry, even with a tooth brush. So I decided to try the salt & distilled vinegar over aluminum foil in a glass bowl. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. First, the mixture produced bubbles with a rotten eggs smell, so I knew it was releasing the iron & sulfur from the silver. I let it soak for several hours and then took a tooth brush to the chain. Not clearly visible in the first photo is a lot of tarnish deep between the links in the chain. The tooth brush seemed to remove most of the tarnish which wasn't removed by the electrolysis action of the salt & vinegar. After the tarnish was removed I put some polish on the chain and rubbed it in, and added a decent clasp in place of the junk that was on there. I will probably never buy another bottle of Tarn-x. Thanks Ron Lord, good suggestion, and really glad I was able to find some big silver to try it out on. LOL


Upvote
0









