hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, hope you enjoy these photos. Here's the story. Two summers ago I took my detector to a river nearby because the water was way down exposing a big portion of the gravel bar. Walking along I noticed it and thought it was the rubber end of a rifle butt stock. It was covered in moss that had turned black. I decided to pick it up to see how old it was or if there were any markings on it. Thats when I noticed the weight. Being a lifelong arrowhead hunter I knew what it was even thou I could'nt think of the word right away. Just about walked by it. The holes seem to be right at 3'' on center which I thought was pretty good for probably not having a tape! But you never know.
100_09391_zps67fce857.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_09401_zps086e562c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_09461_zps372e3020.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_09491_zps7a3b741a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_09451_zps15511745.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_09501_zps7d9eb0ac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_09371_zpse3df6235.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Upvote 0
No doubt it would easily make the banner. It is spectacular for sure. But to qualify it has to be a recent find and this was found two summers ago. But not making banner does not mean we are not thrilled to see it or take away from the rarity of it. I have never found one. It is still a banner find in my book.
Thanks, Posting photos of it for everyone to see was tops on my list. My hats still off to treasurenet and all its members. I hope to make some more finds in the future.

Interesting Find! I would have left the moss on it for authenticity.

I've never seen a real boat stone. How were these made? How did they "hull" the stone out? Magnificent find. Wow!! No dings or nicks anywhere. Wow!!

Boatstones
I've never seen a real boat stone. How were these made? How did they "hull" the stone out? Magnificent find. Wow!! No dings or nicks anywhere. Wow!!
Thats what gets me. Here a link I found that tries to describe how they were made. Another site talked about finding lines on the inside still visible showing the scraping motion used to hollow out the inside.

What a great find I have only seen those in books, congrats and thanks for showing it to us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back