What's new

MY BUDDY FOUND A 1795 FLOWING HAIR DOLLAR

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Messages
1,284
Reaction score
859
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to share this with you guys.

I honestly tried to make him set up an account, but he has no time for forums. He told me to share this with you guys, and he's hoping for a rough grading. Please and thank you!

The gent that found this coin, is a hard working man. He doesn't have a lot of time for detecting. He loves the hobby, but times are tough in my part of Canada. A guy has to work, even if it means going through terrible back pain on a daily basis, without the use of painkillers. He's a family man, and a good one at that. I hope that down the road, he can find some time for what he loves, detecting.

I'm beyond ecstatic for him. It couldn't go to a more deserving man. :icon_thumright:
-------

He found this beauty not far from the Saint John river, in the woods (AT Pro). It was near an old trail, and when he first hit it, it sounded like a soda can. Shallow and big. He walked right past it, as there was a few beer cans around. But after finding a few early 1900's coins, he thought to himself, I better go back and dig that. Boy, is he ever glad that he did. :)



2m6mo7q.jpg


2n8wp3.jpg


335e35u.jpg


90y8tl.jpg



Happy hunting.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 94
I have had no regrets selling any of my finds! I take a pic and put it on my wall. I'm happy with that, along with the cash. Here's about $10,000 of it right here. Paid bills and went to Disney with my family. To be continued......:headbang::hello2::laughing9::laughing7:

Btw that is some beautiful wallpaper my man. You have found some incredible pieces of history
 
I have had no regrets selling any of my finds! I take a pic and put it on my wall. I'm happy with that, along with the cash. Here's about $10,000 of it right here. Paid bills and went to Disney with my family. To be continued......:headbang::hello2::laughing9::laughing7:


Well a thief ain't going to get much! :happysmiley:


That's pretty cool. I'm looking at a blank wall as I sit here typing and think I might just do the same thing for 3 things I have sold. I have actually sold a fair bit, but was selective, and like you I have no regrets. If I dug them today it would be different because life in general is different, but I'm good with all the choices I made at the time.
 
Gio your friend made one heck of a find. It's almost impossible to find one of those in the states let alone in Canada! Looking at it on the computer screen is as close as most of us will come to one of those.
 
Not making a blanket statement that every single person that sells regrets it but all of the people that I have talked to have regretted selling their best finds. The money goes quickly and that particular find is gone forever. You are also one of the rare ones who's happened to find a ton of great stuff and has continued to do so. So you're continuously filling that void. Most of us will only ever find one or two incredible finds. I think another important point is that it depends what it is. If I found a diamond ring or a 1916 D merc I would likely sell it in a heartbeat. But the pine tree shilling I found was the holy grail for me. That was "the" thing I wanted to find. So that particular find is worth much more than the money that I would get for it. I'd rather be able to look at it and have it in my collection. I appreciate you chiming in bud because it made me think about the items that I likely would sell and the ones that I don't think I could. Just out of curiosity Hogge is there anything that you think you just couldn't let go of? And hey maybe I'm just so new at this that I feel this way now and that may change down the road. But for now I'm a colonial lover and I just can't let any of it go.
We all get into this hobby for different reasons. The main one for me was to make some extra $. I guess I've done that. Being somewhat spoiled....I want bigger and better! I sell it all! I am working on a display in my store, to showcase a lot of relics, pipe stems, buttons, buckles, that sort of thing. Sorry the pic came out turned 90 degrees. The wall is in my store. Catches A LOT of attention. Conversation piece. Most people are quite amazed actually. Really cannot think of anything except, some of the military buttons, a full colonial shoe buckle, and a set of teeth that I wouldn't sell. Have several 18th and 19th century rings and jewelry I won't sell. Other than that, I wish for maybe a Higley copper, and or, Ma. silver. Of course those would be sold for sure.
 
I have had no regrets selling any of my finds! I take a pic and put it on my wall. I'm happy with that, along with the cash. Here's about $10,000 of it right here. Paid bills and went to Disney with my family. To be continued......:headbang::hello2::laughing9::laughing7:

Get a JOB!!!!! LOL.
 
That sir, Is insane!
That's a freaking amazing day right there, only 10k in your pocket, NBD
 
Gio your friend made one heck of a find. It's almost impossible to find one of those in the states let alone in Canada! Looking at it on the computer screen is as close as most of us will come to one of those.


Clearly it's because of the low mintage numbers because people back in the day certainly lost 8 reales, and I assume the value must have been the same. It would be interesting to know how many big 8s vs early American dollars at its peak.
 
:occasion14: Cheers to your friend!!
 
What an AMAZING FIND!!! I hope your friend finds more time to hunt! Before his buddy scours the earth looking for that dollars relatives!
 
That coin is CRAZY awesome!!!
 
I couldn't wait any longer. I am going over to his place tomorrow. I need to see this thing in person. I'll take pics of the rim... and post them.

If he can finish his roof early, he said he may take me out there for a quick hunt, which means we're going. hahaha. There's a very good chance I won't find anything that nice/old, but you never know.
 
Hey Gio , Never say never my friend ! It could happen - there could be some more early silver in there - just go in relaxed with no
expectations - you just never know what may happen . More than anything else just enjoy yourself !
 
I couldn't wait any longer. I am going over to his place tomorrow. I need to see this thing in person. I'll take pics of the rim... and post them.

If he can finish his roof early, he said he may take me out there for a quick hunt, which means we're going. hahaha. There's a very good chance I won't find anything that nice/old, but you never know.

or you might find the box full that, that one fell out of!:laughing7:
 
Every hunt is going to be "The Hunt", the next plug you dig might be "it". That's what motivates me. "it" could mean a key date or a silver rosie, but it's an enjoyable feeling. That is an amazing coin. I'd have to get on blood pressure pills If I dug one of those. I'd be so stoked, you couldn't remove my smile, even if you wanted to. :goldtrophy:
 
Beautiful find. Probably easier to find a gold coin.

It is no doubt, it is so much easier to find a gold coin than one of these... :) and they are almost impossible :)
 
Pretty sure a coin marked cleaned is a much bigger problem than giving confidence to experienced buyers.

I am not so sure... I owned a coin store for 20 years and if I wanted it, I bought it, cleaned or not... :) So did my buyers...
 
The 3 leaf variaties are the ones that fetch big $$ that is a fantastic coin and will get a value of around 1500-1700:hello2::hello2:
 
Last edited:
One of the best for finds I have seen this year, sounds like a great guy. Congrats to him!!
 
I am not so sure... I owned a coin store for 20 years and if I wanted it, I bought it, cleaned or not... :) So did my buyers...


For sure, all decent coins will sell, but it certainly helps to see a cleaned coin in person before you drop a few grand on it.
 
Just read the entire thread.
I'd get it slabbed just to protect it. If they marked it environmental damaged or cleaned, it could always be taken out of slab to sell. I would take a loan from a bank to buy a Minelab before I would sell a once in a lifetime find like this (I'm with Abe on this one) Besides a coin like this is always going to appreciate in value, NEVER go down. You could never get a better return on your money by holding onto this coin.

If you did sell it, word of mouth would sell this coin for top dollar, I would never auction a killer coin like this. Hold out for very top dollar, coin collectors are all in cahoots and would never tell you the real value of that coin. It is a piece of American history worth much to real collectors that might never see a coin like this EVER come up for sale.

CONGRATS to your hard working friend!
Brad
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom