What's new

MY BUDDY FOUND A 1795 FLOWING HAIR DOLLAR

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Messages
1,284
Reaction score
859
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to share this with you guys.

I honestly tried to make him set up an account, but he has no time for forums. He told me to share this with you guys, and he's hoping for a rough grading. Please and thank you!

The gent that found this coin, is a hard working man. He doesn't have a lot of time for detecting. He loves the hobby, but times are tough in my part of Canada. A guy has to work, even if it means going through terrible back pain on a daily basis, without the use of painkillers. He's a family man, and a good one at that. I hope that down the road, he can find some time for what he loves, detecting.

I'm beyond ecstatic for him. It couldn't go to a more deserving man. :icon_thumright:
-------

He found this beauty not far from the Saint John river, in the woods (AT Pro). It was near an old trail, and when he first hit it, it sounded like a soda can. Shallow and big. He walked right past it, as there was a few beer cans around. But after finding a few early 1900's coins, he thought to himself, I better go back and dig that. Boy, is he ever glad that he did. :)



2m6mo7q.jpg


2n8wp3.jpg


335e35u.jpg


90y8tl.jpg



Happy hunting.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 94
What an exquisite coin, and special piece of history. Cheers!
 
what a beautiful coin, and such a rare find. It does look to be in the F range, give or take a little... could be VF. But, don't just take all of these prices being thrown out at face value. You should check eBay completed listings for similar looking coins and see realized price. Also check out Heritage auction archives for results. Those will be the real prices to work with. No matter what, it's a four figure coin and a dream for many!
 
No idea why he would lose money on grading it!



Because the vast majority come back marked either cleaned or environmental damage, and looking at the pics I can't see how this one would not be marked cleaned. The coin has lots of eye appeal and if you list it for sale there's no one that's going to come over to your house and put it under a microscope to scrutinize it, so you'll get the price based on the book value.... but sell marked cleaned and you can start counting the many hundreds you just cost yourself. Most who buy coins don't need to be told what they grade, and you might even have a better chance of a bidding war because many buyers who look to sell will often think about how much they can cheat the grade to the next level, and maybe become a little overzealous with their bid. Maybe it doesn't give you more than the book value, but still a good price. I just don't think grading helps dug coins based on the many I've seen posted.

It's good to see the consensuses seems to be it's in fine because that's how it looks to me too.
 
Last edited:
IP,

As I mentioned earlier to Huntsman given that the details on the outer edges don't show a lot of war that more than compensates for the heavy wear on the hair and eagle so yes I'd give it a solid fine....keeping in mind the grading is done on an overall basis and not just the high points of the coin.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
save it ,the money will be gone way do soon.cool find
brad
 
Amazing find. Thanks for sharing.
 
Great find and one that many just dream about finding. Good on your friend for going back and digging up the signal.
 
Because the vast majority come back marked either cleaned or environmental damage, and looking at the pics I can't see how this one would not be marked cleaned. The coin has lots of eye appeal and if you list it for sale there's no one that's going to come over to your house and put it under a microscope to scrutinize it, so you'll get the price based on the book value.... but sell marked cleaned and you can start counting the many hundreds you just cost yourself. Most who buy coins don't need to be told what they grade, and you might even have a better chance of a bidding war because many buyers who look to sell will often think about how much they can cheat the grade to the next level, and maybe become a little overzealous with their bid. Maybe it doesn't give you more than the book value, but still a good price. I just don't think grading helps dug coins based on the many I've seen posted.

It's good to see the consensuses seems to be it's in fine because that's how it looks to me too.


You mis-understand. I meant I have no idea why he would spend money on grading it (ie lose money) & lose money like you just said.
 
You mis-understand. I meant I have no idea why he would spend money on grading it (ie lose money) & lose money like you just said.


Oh, ok, lost in translation, I forgot my English is better than yours. ;) To me it would be a very high risk gamble on $100 to maybe make a few hundred, so not worth it. Kind of like putting a $100 down on the table and trying to pick one number out of ten, and then seeing your money go and thinking, that was stupid! That's how I see it, but no doubt some would disagree because some diggers do send their coins in.
 
Last edited:
Oh, ok, lost in translation, I forgot my English is better than yours. ;) To me it would be a very high risk gamble on $100 to maybe make a few hundred, so not worth it. Kind of like putting a $100 down on the table and trying to pick one number out of ten, and then seeing your money go and thinking, that was stupid! That's how I see it, but no doubt some would disagree because some diggers do send their coins in.

You don't send a coin like this in for the grade and hopes you make a few more dollars... You send in a coin like this so that it is authenticated so that any prospective buyers are confident its real. I think its a no brainer to have it authenticated, if your going to sell it. I would never sell it :)
Gary from Oregon
 
Congratulations to your friend. Absolutely beautiful find!
 
You don't send a coin like this in for the grade and hopes you make a few more dollars... You send in a coin like this so that it is authenticated so that any prospective buyers are confident its real. I think its a no brainer to have it authenticated, if your going to sell it. I would never sell it :)
Gary from Oregon


Pretty sure a coin marked cleaned is a much bigger problem than giving confidence to experienced buyers.
 
Saw this on reddit already, not even mad.
 
I saw the title this morning and immediately though "He found a WHAT!!!!" It's a bit calmer response after reading through pages of posts, but not by much!

I can't ever remember seeing one posted here..... Flowing hair cents , half cents (maybe?) and a few half dimes and dimes but that's all I remember. No doubt your buddy just dug the best thing he will ever find, thanks for sharing it with us!
 
What an amazing example of early American silver. I personally would not get it graded. I also would never sell it but I don't know his financial situation. All I ever hear from people that sell their best finds is that they regret it and the money was quickly gone. This coin is in a slightly dufferent ballpark than many other coins in the fact that the buyers for this coin will predominately be high end collectors that don't necessarily need to see a grade. They know their stuff and they have deep pockets. If these guys want something they don't care much what a book says it's worth.
I love hearing that a good hard working family man finds something great like this. Tell him congrats Gio and I hope you're next.............or I'm next lol
 
What an amazing example of early American silver. I personally would not get it graded. I also would never sell it but I don't know his financial situation. All I ever hear from people that sell their best finds is that they regret it and the money was quickly gone. This coin is in a slightly dufferent ballpark than many other coins in the fact that the buyers for this coin will predominately be high end collectors that don't necessarily need to see a grade. They know their stuff and they have deep pockets. If these guys want something they don't care much what a book says it's worth.
I love hearing that a good hard working family man finds something great like this. Tell him congrats Gio and I hope you're next.............or I'm next lol
I have had no regrets selling any of my finds! I take a pic and put it on my wall. I'm happy with that, along with the cash. Here's about $10,000 of it right here. Paid bills and went to Disney with my family. To be continued......:headbang::hello2::laughing9::laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • photo.webp
    photo.webp
    7.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Did I miss something? Where did the picture go? (i didn't read all 6 pages)
 
I have had no regrets selling any of my finds! I take a pic and put it on my wall. I'm happy with that, along with the cash.

Not making a blanket statement that every single person that sells regrets it but all of the people that I have talked to have regretted selling their best finds. The money goes quickly and that particular find is gone forever. You are also one of the rare ones who's happened to find a ton of great stuff and has continued to do so. So you're continuously filling that void. Most of us will only ever find one or two incredible finds. I think another important point is that it depends what it is. If I found a diamond ring or a 1916 D merc I would likely sell it in a heartbeat. But the pine tree shilling I found was the holy grail for me. That was "the" thing I wanted to find. So that particular find is worth much more than the money that I would get for it. I'd rather be able to look at it and have it in my collection. I appreciate you chiming in bud because it made me think about the items that I likely would sell and the ones that I don't think I could. Just out of curiosity Hogge is there anything that you think you just couldn't let go of? And hey maybe I'm just so new at this that I feel this way now and that may change down the road. But for now I'm a colonial lover and I just can't let any of it go.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom