What's new

My First 3 Cent Piece !!! ***VIDEO***

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I can finally check one of these tiny 3 Cent coins off of my list. After work today I hit one of my spots that I've been detecting for years. Only now I am armed with the new Tesoro Vaquero that I've been using for about a month or so. I loved the Silver uMax, but felt it was finally time to move up. This Vaquero has already proven numerous times that I have missed a lot of targets.
I started off with my very first signal being a dropped 3-ringer, followed up by a musket ball under a deep root, and then a pocket knife in a yard area I have beaten to death over the years. :thumbsup:
I then started detecting around an old oak tree close to were I had dug my very first CW bullet and Scovills button years ago.
I got a nice signal around the base of the tree, dug down about 6-7" and could see some small silver staring back at me from a clump of dirt. :o
Here's the video I shot:



Unfortunately, the coin is well worn with no date, but it looks to be the variety 1 (1851-1853). :dontknow:
To top it off it looks like I nicked it too. :( Not the best looking coin, but it sure is the smallest. I can't believe these coins were even made. No wonder they are so hard to find.
I never thought I would see the day I would dig one of these little guys. ;D
Thanks Tesoro!!!!!! :occasion14:

Thanks for looking,
MM
 

Attachments

  • DSCN5783.webp
    DSCN5783.webp
    217.7 KB · Views: 1,349
  • DSCN5784.webp
    DSCN5784.webp
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,337
  • MVC-026S.webp
    MVC-026S.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,324
  • MVC-027S.webp
    MVC-027S.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,334
  • MVC-028S.webp
    MVC-028S.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • MVC-029S.webp
    MVC-029S.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,338
  • MVC-030S.webp
    MVC-030S.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,378
  • MVC-031S.webp
    MVC-031S.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,399
  • MVC-032S.webp
    MVC-032S.webp
    24 KB · Views: 1,418
  • MVC-033S.webp
    MVC-033S.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,432
  • MVC-034S.webp
    MVC-034S.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,502
Upvote 0
Well Cowboy, only 2 weeks ago you were doing some Jack Wagon whining about not finding anything good. Now, you have a GREAT find every day or so. Good looking coin and bullets. WTG, Q.
 
nice vid!!! nice coin!!!!!!! MR TUFF
 
Fantastic little piece of silver. I did the same thing when I got my vaquero.I went over my hunted out yard and it was a virgin again! That ground balance does make a difference. :icon_thumright:
 
"SPIT ON IT, SPIT ON IT!" or "Lisa grab the water bottle!" :D Could you hear me yelling at you in the video? :D WTG MM! :hello2: I want one of those too! Congrats on that first!! You're cleaning up the place with that new machine! :icon_pirat:

Nana :wink:
 
hi doug very nice. i found a 32 license plate some lamp parts canning jar lids and some old foundations yesterday. when you return to indian land it might be a good place to go. talk to you later dave.
 
GREAT find! :headbang:

Those little bastards are elusive! I have dug some 2c's but never a 3c silver or 3c nickel. :dontknow:


Cheers,


Buck
 
that coin is good find. maybe there is some more laying around there.
 
halfdime said:
Nice! Even without a date, I'd be happy with that one!

Thanks HD. :thumbsup:

umrgolf said:
Way to go Doug :headbang: those little dudes don't pop up often... wouldn't be surprised if another one turns up when you clear out a few more bushes :thumbsup:

Jeff,
You got me wondering now. I may have to go in on all fours to get under that row of bushes by that tree. :icon_scratch:
-Dug-

artyfacts said:
Congratulations on your first trime. Arty

Thanks Arty. It's about "trime" I found one. :laughing9:
-MM-

treasurehound said:
Nice finds Doug. Those three cent pieces are small. I found one about twenty years ago and mine was pretty worn as well. Haven't found one since. You would think more of them would be found in CW sites. Again congrats on some great finds and video.

20 years ago! Now I do feel lucky. Thanks TH. :icon_thumleft:

BobinSouthVA said:
Just imagine how bad this summer is going to be if we don't get a good freeze or two. Won't have any blood left for the red cross :icon_pale:

Congrats on your first trime

Thanks Bob.
I agree, the mosquitos are going to be brutal this year. :(
-Doug-

Woodland Detectors said:
Way to go Doug. :hello2: Congrats to you , on your first 3 cent nickel save today.

Thanks Mike.
I'm sure you could tell I was ecxited when I called you.
Thanks again for the Vaquero. :hello2:
-Dug-

Deno said:
That is sweet MM.

That one is still on my list.

6 or 7 inches is impressive on something that small.

My buddy Weaver dug one at a tavern site in Bardstown about 5 years ago.

His is the only one I have seen come up in 12 years of hunting.

Congrats again for knocking that off your list.

Thanks Deno.
Now if I could just check a silver dollar and gold coin off of my list. ;D
-MM-

Thunderchild said:
Not sure which gets the most credit for that find, the chain saw or the Vaquero. I guess both opened up more area on that site. Way to go! Glenn

Glenn,
This new Vaquero has really impressed me in just a short time.
-Dug-

kevkirki said:
nice..... :notworthy:

:thumbsup:

VOL1266-X said:
Well Cowboy, only 2 weeks ago you were doing some Jack Wagon whining about not finding anything good. Now, you have a GREAT find every day or so. Good looking coin and bullets. WTG, Q.

Thanks Q.
You know me, I like to whine a lot when I don't find anything decent. :laughing9:
-Jack Wagon-

Mr Tuff said:
nice vid!!! nice coin!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Thanks Mr. T
:occasion14:

birdman said:
Fantastic little piece of silver. I did the same thing when I got my vaquero.I went over my hunted out yard and it was a virgin again! That ground balance does make a difference. :icon_thumright:

Bird,
You are right. Now I see the magic of the ground balance. I'll have to hit my old sites again now. :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Dird

Nana40 said:
"SPIT ON IT, SPIT ON IT!" or "Lisa grab the water bottle!" :D Could you hear me yelling at you in the video? :D WTG MM! :hello2: I want one of those too! Congrats on that first!! You're cleaning up the place with that new machine! :icon_pirat:

Nana :wink:

Nana,
I thought I heard you in that video. :laughing9: I'm like you, I want to know what the coin is NOW. Like a little kid waiting to open up his Christmas gifts. ;D
-Dug-
 
RTDE3 said:
Big Congrats Buddy!
For a small coin they sure do give a strong signal!
They were easy to lose & hard to find.
That new machine is paying off for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rob.
You, Dickie, and Floyd probably have a jar full of them. :tongue3:
-Doug-

rebelrouser said:
that coin is good find. maybe there is some more laying around there.

RR,
I sure hope so. Believe me I'll keep looking. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

BuckleBoy said:
GREAT find! :headbang:

Those little --deleted--s are elusive! I have dug some 2c's but never a 3c silver or 3c nickel. :dontknow:

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks BB. Hard to believe you haven't dug one with as much great stuff you have found over the years.
-Doug-

leenie said:
hi doug very nice. i found a 32 license plate some lamp parts canning jar lids and some old foundations yesterday. when you return to indian land it might be a good place to go. talk to you later dave.

Thanks Leenie.
Congrats. At least you aren't covered in snow and ice up there. :laughing9:
-Doug-
 
Burdie said:
They are small all 12 I have found where. :o Just kidding never found one. Congratulations on that baby. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :thumbsup:

Burdie

12!!! You joker. :laughing9:
Thanks Stan
 
johnnyblaze said:
Amazing :icon_thumleft:


Wanna here something funny today i got my first 3 cent piece also :laughing7:


Nice finds :icon_thumleft:



Blaze

Way to go JB!!! :icon_thumleft:
Congrats on your first too. :hello2:
-Doug-
 
Lanny in AB said:
Exceptionally cool find!

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny.
Hopefully there will be a few more out there.
-MM-
 
Good job on the three center Doug :thumbsup:, I've never found one.
Lil boogers are hard to find. I dug a half reales once that I thought was a worn out three cent but managed to pull a date and realized it was Spanish.
I will find one some day ;D.

HB
 
Congrats on finding your first 3 cent piece. Sweet coin.
Dman
 
I detected for 20 years before I found mine. This is an important scratch off the list of targets for you Doug. Congrats my man.
Chris
 
MM , Congrats on the 3 center , another back off your monkey :D :munky2: a few firsts here today , I am shocked that you weren't sure what it was :) 8) dawg
 
HILL BILLY said:
Good job on the three center Doug :thumbsup:, I've never found one.
Lil boogers are hard to find. I dug a half reales once that I thought was a worn out three cent but managed to pull a date and realized it was Spanish.
I will find one some day ;D.

HB

Thanks HB. I hardly ever find old coins, but this was my day I guess. I am so glad I upgraded to the Vaquero.
I can just picture a CW soldier resting against that tree and losing that tiny 3 cent.
-Dug-

Dman said:
Congrats on finding your first 3 cent piece. Sweet coin.
Dman

Thanks Dman.
Not much in the way of melt value, but it is HUGE when it comes to achievements for me in this hobby. ;D
-The other Doug-

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
I detected for 20 years before I found mine. This is an important scratch off the list of targets for you Doug. Congrats my man.
Chris

Chris,
When I dug this coin I had no idea what it was. All I could think of was when Kyle used to tell me, "get out there and dig a pistereen". I swear I thought I had one and was going to make darn sure I let him know, but it turned out to be a 3 cent piece. :laughing9: I hope you guys are doing well. Tell Kyle I an still trying. :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Doug

CMDiamonddawg said:
MM , Congrats on the 3 center , another back off your monkey :D :munky2: a few firsts here today , I am shocked that you weren't sure what it was :) 8) dawg

LOL. Dawg, I rarely find old coins for some reason. I still can't believe I found this little sucker! Why they made a coin so small I'll never know. :dontknow:
Thanks Big Guy. :thumbsup:
-Doug-
 
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
GREAT find! :headbang:

Those little --deleted--s are elusive! I have dug some 2c's but never a 3c silver or 3c nickel. :dontknow:

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks BB. Hard to believe you haven't dug one with as much great stuff you have found over the years.
-Doug-

Nope. Never dug one. :dontknow:
 
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
GREAT find! :headbang:

Those little --deleted--s are elusive! I have dug some 2c's but never a 3c silver or 3c nickel. :dontknow:

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks BB. Hard to believe you haven't dug one with as much great stuff you have found over the years.
-Doug-

Nope. Never dug one. :dontknow:

BB,
May 2012 be your year then. :thumbsup:
Heck, I'm still trying to find my first Barber quarter and Franklin half. :laughing9:
Have a great weekend & enjoy the gumbo.
-Dug-
 
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
GREAT find! :headbang:

Those little --deleted--s are elusive! I have dug some 2c's but never a 3c silver or 3c nickel. :dontknow:

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks BB. Hard to believe you haven't dug one with as much great stuff you have found over the years.
-Doug-

Nope. Never dug one. :dontknow:

BB,
May 2012 be your year then. :thumbsup:
Heck, I'm still trying to find my first Barber quarter and Franklin half. :laughing9:
Have a great weekend & enjoy the gumbo.
-Dug-

Thanks for the well-wishes, Doug ("Dug") 8)

You know, it's always funny what the diggin gods have in store. I have still not dug a Barber Quarter. I have dug Barber halves, and lots of dimes. Have dug a Seated Quarter, and a couple Standing over the years...but no Barber 25c. I am usually the guy standing there beside the guy that digs one. :D One week, KFB dug two while I was standing there. ::) BUT--I'd much rather dig a 3c than a Barber 25c. Much cooler coin to dig. 8)

Congrats again, my friend. And I don't know if I ever said so, but thank you for the hilarious Christmas Card. :wink:

-Buck
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom