My first Colonial Era Axe, Update: before and after electrolysis/coating photo

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First went on an exploring trip for an hour or so, to no avail, so I finished up my hunt at the site that in March and April has yielded 5 KG coppers and 2 NJ coppers and several buttons and cufflinks. I had to really beat the bush to hit areas that I previously barely touched and it did pay off.
My first target was this octagonal shaped button, which usually are part of cufflinks so I will call it such, it is of a white metal, and has a floral petal design on it.
Button Cufflink Pewter Floral.jpg
Next target was a raised boss type button, not a tombac, another indicator of an old site.
button raised boss.jpg
I then got a nice reading against the base of a big oak tree, after some struggle with roots a small flat pin appeared, at the time I had no idea it was a pin but upon cleaning it is very obvious it was a pin, with a decent design and again period of the homestead.
Pin Colonial design.jpg
Finally, I got a funky reading near the base of a Holly tree, they are always fun to dig under (NOT) and I was not sure it was iron, since I was getting a varied reading, of course I was hoping it was a coin next to iron, but about 10-12 inches down I struck a piece of iron, now Holly roots can be a game stopper at times and if I would have been more tired, I might have left this piece of iron in the ground for another day, but since I was not finding the typicial pieces of iron pot, I thought perhaps this might be some other iron relic, or maybe even an entire iron pot!

I kept cutting roots and finally got around to the edges of it and saw that I could move it, so now I was going to get it out no matter what. I am sure glad I persisted since when I saw that axe come out of the hole, I felt like I just completed a successful hunt! I knew by the shape it was going to be my oldest axe found and without a doubt my first 1700 era one.
Axe1.jpg
Axe fresh out of ground.jpg
I got home washed dirt off the axe and shot some photos.
Axe2.jpg
Axe3.jpg
Axe4.jpg
When I got inside I got out my book on American Revolution relics out and sure enough it matched one of the ones pictured in the book by Neumann and Kravic. So I did find my first Colonial Axe. With it being 7 inches in length, cannot call it a belt axe but a "Felling Axe" would be more proper, one used mainly for cutting down trees, although it is on the small end of that scale.
As I was photograhing the washed off Axe, I noticed there is a square nail that must have been used as the wedge to hold the axe in the wooden handle, so rather cool having that still with the axe head......
axe with square nail.jpg
Overall, that little homestead was very good to me, with 7 colonial coins and numerous buttons, couple cufflinks and of course the Axe! Oh, also got 2 Wheaties while doing my one hour exploration hike.
AxeButtonsWheatpenny.jpg
UPDATE:After a couple days of electrolysis, then soaking in distilled water for a day, dried in a toaster oven for a few hours, then did 3 light coats of Crisco oil and it came out a bit better than found. :) I really wanted to try Flaxseed Oil on this but had none, so decided to go ahead and use Crisco which is what I used previously on two trivets and two irons with decent success.....
Colonial Axe Before After Electrolysis Crisco.jpg

Don

Upvote 0
Re: My first Colonial Era Belt Axe, Colonial era Pin, floral cufflink and button

Don, as we discussed by e-mail I dug a very similar belt axe from a small fire pit on a French & Indian War site here in SW PA. Mine had 3 square nails and some bits of wood in the eye, all of which I saved.

Re: My first Colonial Era Belt Axe, Colonial era Pin, floral cufflink and button

Some really nice finds Congratulations!!
TTH

Boy have I been looking for one of those ! Great finds Don . Sincere congradulations on some wonderful additions to your colonial relics collection :thumbsup: M.R.

Wonderful axe recovery :thumbsup:

I'm still looking for one of those :)

That's a great trade axe...I can't believe that it's your first! I found my first, second and third last year so I know the feeling...congrats!

Nice Axe Don and the other finds are nice too. :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

so let me try to understand this.....the tons and tons of axe heads I find at old foundations are actually collectable? :icon_scratch: I must have come across 6 of those in the past 2 years, exact shape and size. id drag them home with me, but im so far away from my car when im at these places i just toss them aside.

Great finds Don! :notworthy:
Love your story telling ability too! :D

Dave

That site's been good to you Don

I really like that axe. You should really try to do some electrolysis on it to improve the appearance and preserve it. I found a similar one about 5 years ago and it cleaned up nice. Posting some before and after pics FYI. Love to see how yours turns out. Good luck!

Attachments

• 041306i.jpg
    041306i.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,420
  • colonial axe.JPG
    colonial axe.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 1,554

Bill, I will do electrolysis on it in the near future, although mine is a bit more corroded than yours but I'm sure it will look much better when I am done.

Don

Yes, iron can be good. :thumbsup: You'd be amazed using low disc. on the explorer how easy it makes it to cherry pick things like that. I made a huge mistake for several years thinking I don't want to waste my time digging iron even if I miss a good find once and a while, but once I started to pay attention I couldn't believe how simple it was to only dig the worthy hits which here tends to just be a few at my old sites. It was 2004 I made the change and glad I did because I would have left quite a few axes and cannonballs behind.

prolab69 said:
so let me try to understand this.....the tons and tons of axe heads I find at old foundations are actually collectable? :icon_scratch: I must have come across 6 of those in the past 2 years, exact shape and size. id drag them home with me, but im so far away from my car when im at these places i just toss them aside.

Oh dear...if I were you I would be visiting those spots to pick up those axes!

romeo-1 said:
prolab69 said:

Oh dear...if I were you I would be visiting those spots to pick up those axes!

I have "put aside" many of an axe over the years but none were this type, most from the early 1800s. But, it was no problem carrying this one the 1 mile walk back, since it fit nicely in one of the pockets of the fishing vest I wear, and have been wearing one for about the last 10 years of detecting. I do have a few of axe heads piled up in a corner of my one garden along with old horse and mule shoes, some log splitters in the mix and stove legs and decorative parts.

Excellent recoveries as usual Don. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Attachments

• MVC-086S.JPG
    MVC-086S.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,366
  • MVC-087S.JPG
    MVC-087S.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,549

Great Find !!! In our lust for early coins , these so often get discriminated out, overlooked or discarded. Yep, this one's classic 18th century style and one would be surprised how many early axe collectors out there would love to buy this one.(they don't have to be french trade axes, to be valued by collectors). Here's hoping you pull out a touchmark after cleaning Don ; all the better !!!

WoW you got some beautifully coins and other stuff there. Congalations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back