What's new

My first Louisiana Button! (Cleaned) Scarce Back mark

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still can't believe it.
I have always wanted to dig one of the elusive pelicans.
Finaly! Today was my day :hello2:
I took a much needed detecting trip today to one of my favorite spots for CW and Colonial goodies.
I got an early start to beat the heat that is almost unbearable by mid afternoon.
Normally, this is our down season here due to venomous snakes, ticks and yes, the heat.
I have been watching every one post all these great finds, and it was just eating at me to get out myself.
Most of our good fields are under crop, so I had to knock on doors to gain some permission.
I stopped at a farm and noticed the field had been freshly cut for hay.
The farmer was very nice, and he directed me to a section of the field where pottery shards appeared after a good plow.
I immediately started digging iron and a mid 1800's civilian buttons. Then another and another.
It just felt real good to get out again. Gotta Love the Minelab ETRAC!
I missed this target a few years ago with my old machine.

Now, It's back to baby duty :D

PICT0100.webp
:)
041.webp
Scarce back mark reads: Horstman's NY & PHI --- Not Late---circa 1860
 

Attachments

  • PICT0099.webp
    PICT0099.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,141
  • PICT0077.webp
    PICT0077.webp
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,442
  • PICT0078.webp
    PICT0078.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 3,410
  • PICT0079.webp
    PICT0079.webp
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,401
  • PICT0099.webp
    PICT0099.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,136
  • 042.webp
    042.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,974
Upvote 0
Very happy for you!!! Congrats on your fantastic find and the banner :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
 
Great looking button, congrat's on the banner. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
Way to go. Congrats on making banner.
Dman
 
Ohhhhhhhhh YES! Way to go 'homie' . . .a great button and in great shape! :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Outstanding button 4-H, absolutely beautiful! Looks like you made the right choice knocking on that door!!

I agree with Buckleboy & Kuger with your oval brass piece being a belt keeper for a T&W buckle. Get back out there and find the other two pieces along with some more of those Pelican buttons!

I enclosed a pic. of that type of belt keeper I found a couple of months ago.

Congrats again!
IM
 

Attachments

  • E-mail IMG_1275.webp
    E-mail IMG_1275.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,266
WooHooo!!! :headbang:Good on you Mate!

Well deserved Banner :thumbsup:
Cheers, Mike
 
Congrats Mike on making the Banner that is one great button :thumbsup: Dd60
 
Breezie said:
Ohhhhhhhhh YES! Way to go 'homie' . . .a great button and in great shape! :thumbsup: Breezie
LOL @ Hommie!

Thank you "D" :D


The button is atop a pillow of cotton, under glass, on my office wall. Smiling at me. ;D
 

Attachments

  • calendar-melvin-the-pelican.webp
    calendar-melvin-the-pelican.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,752
Congrats on a awsome find and making the banner. We need rain in Tn also. There's places I want to hunt but it's dry as hell here. Hope you get to go back and find more. :thumbsup:
 
WOO HOO. Way to go Mike. Congrats on making banner. And congrats to Maggie and Samantha for giving you some time to hunt. I know having a new born takes a lot of time. I can't wait until we can go hunting again. We sure do need rain. Again way to go my friend.
 
Ok folks I just got the back date confirmed.
It indeed is of period! :hello2:

Here's my friend William's response:

No worries on the LA. button being late.
The exact back mark is pictured in McGuinn and Bazeleon's, Military Button Makers and Dealer.
Their back marks and dates as circa 1860.
Nobody,but Nobody would have and sell this button as LATE.
When it was lost may be an open question and/or one to to which you may never know the answer,
but you can be assured of the origin of the button.
Kind regards,
William

William Leigh www.civilawarbuttons.com
 
I just had to leave a reply for you Mikey. ;D
FANTASTIC RARE BUTTON FIND YOU BIG DOG!!!!
Congrats & keep em' coming, :icon_thumleft:
Doug
 

Attachments

  • 10 10 10.webp
    10 10 10.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,894
Well I know I have allready told you, but once again great big congradulations on BANNER :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Very cool button the closest I've ever come is the back of a button !
 
Still drooling Mike-Is it a LA-7 in Albert's book? HH, Quindy.
 
Cool finds. That csa button is valuable find, congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom