What's new

My first Louisiana Button! (Cleaned) Scarce Back mark

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still can't believe it.
I have always wanted to dig one of the elusive pelicans.
Finaly! Today was my day :hello2:
I took a much needed detecting trip today to one of my favorite spots for CW and Colonial goodies.
I got an early start to beat the heat that is almost unbearable by mid afternoon.
Normally, this is our down season here due to venomous snakes, ticks and yes, the heat.
I have been watching every one post all these great finds, and it was just eating at me to get out myself.
Most of our good fields are under crop, so I had to knock on doors to gain some permission.
I stopped at a farm and noticed the field had been freshly cut for hay.
The farmer was very nice, and he directed me to a section of the field where pottery shards appeared after a good plow.
I immediately started digging iron and a mid 1800's civilian buttons. Then another and another.
It just felt real good to get out again. Gotta Love the Minelab ETRAC!
I missed this target a few years ago with my old machine.

Now, It's back to baby duty :D

PICT0100.webp
:)
041.webp
Scarce back mark reads: Horstman's NY & PHI --- Not Late---circa 1860
 

Attachments

  • PICT0099.webp
    PICT0099.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,141
  • PICT0077.webp
    PICT0077.webp
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,442
  • PICT0078.webp
    PICT0078.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 3,410
  • PICT0079.webp
    PICT0079.webp
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,401
  • PICT0099.webp
    PICT0099.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,136
  • 042.webp
    042.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,974
Upvote 0
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

Nice digs Mike :icon_thumleft: that button is awesome the heat up here is unbearable dirt like cement. Nice finds :thumbsup: Dd60
 
Re: Awesome Button Mike!!

That's a RARE find around here for sure! Congratulations! If you were out in the heat this weekend, you sure earned that one! Stay cool my friend, and take your time cleaning that one up!
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

Nice finds Mike. When I talked to you on the phone last night you haven't posted it yet and I have been dying to see it. Man that is nice. I am the same way sitting here watching the relic posts and getting antsy to get back out there. I can't wait until fall when we can hit our spots again. Maybe the three of us will do well at the next DIV hunt. Congrats again on some great recoveries.
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

Congratulations! It could not have happened to a better guy! You are living the high life. A healthy baby girl and killer detecting finds = You ain't got nowhere to look, but up. :hello2:

Kirk
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

River Rat said:
WTG, Mike :icon_thumleft: It's a coincidence finding that Pelican button after talking about LA the other day. :o

:wink: RR
I know huh?
I want to go back again, but it's going to be way too hot today.
I have Baby duty any way LOL :D :D
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

4-H said:
River Rat said:
WTG, Mike :icon_thumleft: It's a coincidence finding that Pelican button after talking about LA the other day. :o

:wink: RR
I know huh?
I want to go back again, but it's going to be way too hot today.
I have have Baby duty any way LOL


Baby duty and button cleaning duty! :thumbsup: I bet button cleaning is more fun than baby cleaning! At least that pelican won't crap. ;D
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

Iron Patch said:
4-H said:
River Rat said:
WTG, Mike :icon_thumleft: It's a coincidence finding that Pelican button after talking about LA the other day. :o

:wink: RR
I know huh?
I want to go back again, but it's going to be way too hot today.
I have have Baby duty any way LOL


Baby duty and button cleaning duty! :thumbsup: I bet button cleaning is more fun than baby cleaning! At least that pelican won't crap. ;D
Duty includes, doodie cleaning too! :laughing9:
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

The back mark is different than what I had initially thought it was.
After cleaning, I see " Horstman's NY and Phil"
 

Attachments

  • PICT0099.webp
    PICT0099.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,956
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

It looks like it cleaned up decently. I voted Banner, Mike. :hello2: Come on, guys, let's get Mike up there. He is a good guy. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

BANNER BANNER BANNER. You deserve banner for the great finds Mike.
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

That's a beauty of a button there Mike.... great to see that you made it out for a hunt and the button was a great bonus

banner vote from me...
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button!

4-H said:
The back mark is different than what I had initially thought it was.
After cleaning, I see " Horstman's NY and Phil"


A good era backmark ~1860.. I vaguely remember some relationship to steele on these backmarks, maybe they were striking them under contract to steele??? I can't quite remember specifically.. heck.. I might be way off!! Still.. the date is great!!

Now... go dig some more!!!! ;-)

MB
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

Nice button ... congrats ! :thumbsup:
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

Nice button Mike. Congrats on scratching a good one off your list! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

After seeing that thing cleaned up, you got my Banner vote
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

Great dig Looks like a banner vote here!!! HH chug I have never thought that a button was an exciting thing Until i came to this site!!!!!

HH Chug and Red
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

AWESOME FIND 4-H RIGHT ON :headbang: :headbang: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

Awesome! I hope I'll find some nice stuff like that soon.
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

Mike, that is one super find of a button there... no complaints about the indians either. When you do get out these days you sure make it count! Look forward to meeting up with you soon.
 
Re: My First Louisiana Button! (Cleaned)

glad you got out-that button is a beauty! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom