My first seated half dime!

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats up T-Net! After work today I went to a local skate park that has about 30 acres behind it owned by the city. I've been telling myself that there's going to be something good in this area for the past three weeks, even though I have gotten nothing but old shotgun shells and bullets. I made my way to the back of the property and I get a penny dime signal and decide to dig. Once down in the hole my pin pointer told me it was in a small clump of dirt to small for coinage or so I thought. I broke it open and I found a 1861 seated half dime! OMG! This is a bunch of firsts for me first really old coin, first silver, and first seated anything! I cant believe it has a hole, but really I don't care because its so many firsts for me. LOL Thanks for looking and HH...

Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
SilverPirate

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, forgot to post pics. LOL

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130117_200537.png
    ForumRunner_20130117_200537.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 292
  • ForumRunner_20130117_200551.png
    ForumRunner_20130117_200551.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 302
  • ForumRunner_20130117_200601.png
    ForumRunner_20130117_200601.png
    238.9 KB · Views: 292

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!

Nice way to start the silver to flowing.

HH!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay !! Holed or not who cares. You had a great day and the area is giving it up :thumbsup:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, one of these days I'll find one, great find!

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahrrrrr. silverpirate...good bounty mate....lol...
really,,,very nice day for you my friend..hope many more come your way...
owg..

cahil_2

Apr 27, 2012
West. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab e-trac,
Garrett Pro pointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator 31 Digger, Minelab pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anytime you find a Civil War era coin, that is special. Just think who touched that coin that you now own.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I want one too! Excellent find. Seems almost like some instinct got you to the right spot today! Maybe more good stuff nearby too. Andi

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good one! Who cares about the hole. Congrats on the firsts!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on your first seated half dime. there should be more to follow.
Dman

OP
OP
SilverPirate

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Doesn't matter about the hole. Dug coins are what they are. The great thing is that I don't see hairline scratches or nicks from digging tools. This tells me that not only is it a great find, but it was recovered expertly too. There will be more there if that was there. You just have to find the sweet spot where you're finding other old items. A word of advice: post all of the items you find. There may be good relics that you won't recognize, but folks here will help out. So easy to just toss a photo up and ask "Is there anything good here?" or "What is this stuff?"

Again, great find there. Turn down that discrimination and listen for a patch of iron nails. When you find that, that's where you'll want to be. ;)

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
SilverPirate

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! Doesn't matter about the hole. Dug coins are what they are. The great thing is that I don't see hairline scratches or nicks from digging tools. This tells me that not only is it a great find, but it was recovered expertly too. There will be more there if that was there. You just have to find the sweet spot where you're finding other old items. A word of advice: post all of the items you find. There may be good relics that you won't recognize, but folks here will help out. So easy to just toss a photo up and ask "Is there anything good here?" or "What is this stuff?"

Again, great find there. Turn down that discrimination and listen for a patch of iron nails. When you find that, that's where you'll want to be. ;)

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks BuckleBoy. It's funny you said that, I didn't touch the coin tell I got home. After I got home I used the running water/makeup brush method that I saw on one of your videos. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread