What's new

My first sword and three Barbers!!Updated with pics of markings. I.D. help?

bootstrap vinn

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
391
Reaction score
34
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Did an old park last weekend with my dad,my uncle and my brother.We did pretty good with a total of six silver dimes,4 V nickles and numerous indian head pennies and one wheat,I think. We went back today,minus my uncle who was sick but we took my brothers friend Dan32981 who is,by the way, now my friend too.Got to the park fairly early and started hunting. Running low discriminate so as not to pass up any gold or other ferrous metal relics,I dug a nail and then a couple bullet shells, then bang a sweet signal came eminating from my trusty little 1225X. Dug a plug and flopped it over,checked the hole,nothing there.Checked the plug,there it is a 1901 Barber dime in sweet shape. Re-checked the plug and hole,all clear. Then I noticed some dirt that had came off the plug as I flopped it out. Ran my coil over it and bang, a 1905 Barber dime! Two silver dimes in the same hole,Gotta love it! In the mean time little bro's diggin' IHP's and V nickles then Bang,he snags a gold ring with initials on it!
Around 11:00 I got a big overload signal by what appears to be an old cellar hole and almost didn't go for it because it was so close to the foundation but I could feel my coil bouncing up off from something hard under the pine needles and leaves.I reached down, cleared the leave and needles and saw part of something that appeard to be brass.I grabbed it and tried to pull it striaght up but I could feel it was bound by roots over the top of it. So I pulled it it straight back horizontally with the ground and it came out like a sword coming out of a scabbard. Guess what it was a sword!!! My first ever!!! Dan, who was about 50 feet away, saw me pull it out and said he saw my do a little happy dance.I don't recall it but I would say I probably did because I was totally thrilled with this find!!! When I showed it to my dad he recognized the broken end and said I dug this and left it because I only saw the broken blade end and thought it was just junk. Thanks dad!!!
We went to lunch and came back and I bet I wasn't at it 20 minutes and I got a sweet little signal on the slope going down to the river,dug a plug, flipped it, and out fell a 1912 barber dime in sweet shape,YEE HA what a day!!!
Thanks for reading and if anyone could help me with an I.D. on the sword it would be much appreciated. Good luck to all,
Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
 

Attachments

  • MVC-022F.webp
    MVC-022F.webp
    34 KB · Views: 6,604
  • MVC-023F.webp
    MVC-023F.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 6,607
  • MVC-012F.webp
    MVC-012F.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 6,595
  • MVC-014F.webp
    MVC-014F.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 6,585
  • MVC-015F.webp
    MVC-015F.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 6,568
  • MVC-016F.webp
    MVC-016F.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 6,537
  • MVC-018F.webp
    MVC-018F.webp
    33 KB · Views: 6,608
Upvote 0
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Awesome finds! the barbers look great and that sword is just awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep it up. best of luck and HH
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

All I can say is hunt the heck out of that site. Man awesome finds my friend. Awesome.
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Three Barbers.....WOW! And the sabre, that is a good day for sure!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

That is one nice sword!

Congrats!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

your great sword find appears to me to be a **** civil war era US Military model 1860 "light" cavalry sword (aka the 1859 "new pattern")*** ---and as such is a major find --too bad the tips broke - the earlier model 1840 "heavy " cavalry was the one known as the "wrist breaker" due to it massive wieght it was hard to control on a downward slash. thus hard on the wrist. ----google -- us miilitary swords --look under cavalry .
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

why isn't that sword on the banner yet!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

BANNER!

HH
-GC
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Nice silver, beautiful detail on those dimes, and the sword is just awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!

HH Joe
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Banner for sure!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Awesome finds keep up the good work !
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

id been happy with the barbers,
but you had to find an awesome
saber to go along with the silver...
congrats on all of those great finds !!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

great day for sure wow nice, that sword is awesome wtg
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Hey bootstrapp i told you it was going to be a Banner find!!! Congrats again!!

-Dan
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Three sweet Barbers and an old saber too ... you must be living right ... congratz on the awesome finds and making the banner as well!!!!!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

bootstrap vinn said:
Did an old park last weekend with my dad,my uncle and my brother.We did pretty good with a total of six silver dimes,4 V nickles and numerous indian head pennies and one wheat,I think. My bro' Fr3nchy27 posted it.We went back today,minus my uncle who was sick but we took my brothers friend Dan32981 who is,by the way, now my friend too.Got to the park fairly early and started hunting. Running low discriminate so as not to pass up any gold or other base metal relics,I dug a nail and then a couple bullet shells, then bang a sweet signal came eminating from my trusty little 1225X. Dug a plug and flopped it over,checked the hole,nothing there.Checked the plug,there it is a 1901 Barber dime in sweet shape. Re-checked the plug and hole,all clear. Then I noticed some dirt that had came off the plug as I flopped it out. Ran my coil over it and bang, a 1905 Barber dime! Two silver dimes in the same hole,Gotta love it! In the mean time little bro's diggin' IHP's and V nickles then Bang,he snags a gold ring with initials on it!
Around 11:00 I got a big overload signal by what appears to be an old cellar hole and almost didn't go for it because it was so close to the foundation but I could feel my coil bouncing up off from something hard under the pine needles and leaves.I reached down, cleared the leave and needles and saw part of something that appeard to be brass.I grabbed it and tried to pull it striaght up but I could feel it was bound by roots over the top of it. So I pulled it it straight back horizontally with the ground and it came out like a sword coming out of a scabbard. Guess what it was a sword!!! My first ever!!! Dan, who was about 50 feet away, saw me pull it out and said he saw my do a little happy dance.I don't recall it but I would say I probably did because I was totally thrilled with this find!!! When I showed it to my dad he recognized the broken end and said I dug this and left it because I only saw the broken blade end and thought it was just junk. Thanks dad!!!
We went to lunch and came back and I bet I wasn't at it 20 minutes and I got a sweet little signal on the slope going down to the river,dug a plug, flipped it, and out fell a 1912 barber dime in sweet shape,YEE HA what a day!!!
Thanks for reading and if anyone could help me with an I.D. on the sword it would be much appreciated. Good luck to all,
Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
It looks like a civil war cavalry sword. Awesome find!! I am a newbee and had some luck this week end after only ten minutes. I found a british pound, a quarter, and a dime. All of which were of recent years, but it was a start.
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Really nice rare find.. To make banner people will have to click the link under bootstraps name for banner an type banner in the box then send...
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Sweet looking barbers and nice sword.....Matt
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Now after a loooong hard winter and anxiously awaiting the ground to thaw enough to dig, you go out and find an AWESOME sword and some sweet Barbers....Congrats on the find and on teh banner. That is the way to start the season out!!!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Very cool finds. I wonder how many of us have passed up a relic like a sword or maybe a rifle or handgun because we did not want to take the time to dig it up???
WTG and very nice Barbers.
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!!

Awesome sword!! That is one of my objectives before I retire, is to find a war sword. great deal!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom