What's new

My first sword and three Barbers!!Updated with pics of markings. I.D. help?

bootstrap vinn

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
391
Reaction score
34
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Did an old park last weekend with my dad,my uncle and my brother.We did pretty good with a total of six silver dimes,4 V nickles and numerous indian head pennies and one wheat,I think. We went back today,minus my uncle who was sick but we took my brothers friend Dan32981 who is,by the way, now my friend too.Got to the park fairly early and started hunting. Running low discriminate so as not to pass up any gold or other ferrous metal relics,I dug a nail and then a couple bullet shells, then bang a sweet signal came eminating from my trusty little 1225X. Dug a plug and flopped it over,checked the hole,nothing there.Checked the plug,there it is a 1901 Barber dime in sweet shape. Re-checked the plug and hole,all clear. Then I noticed some dirt that had came off the plug as I flopped it out. Ran my coil over it and bang, a 1905 Barber dime! Two silver dimes in the same hole,Gotta love it! In the mean time little bro's diggin' IHP's and V nickles then Bang,he snags a gold ring with initials on it!
Around 11:00 I got a big overload signal by what appears to be an old cellar hole and almost didn't go for it because it was so close to the foundation but I could feel my coil bouncing up off from something hard under the pine needles and leaves.I reached down, cleared the leave and needles and saw part of something that appeard to be brass.I grabbed it and tried to pull it striaght up but I could feel it was bound by roots over the top of it. So I pulled it it straight back horizontally with the ground and it came out like a sword coming out of a scabbard. Guess what it was a sword!!! My first ever!!! Dan, who was about 50 feet away, saw me pull it out and said he saw my do a little happy dance.I don't recall it but I would say I probably did because I was totally thrilled with this find!!! When I showed it to my dad he recognized the broken end and said I dug this and left it because I only saw the broken blade end and thought it was just junk. Thanks dad!!!
We went to lunch and came back and I bet I wasn't at it 20 minutes and I got a sweet little signal on the slope going down to the river,dug a plug, flipped it, and out fell a 1912 barber dime in sweet shape,YEE HA what a day!!!
Thanks for reading and if anyone could help me with an I.D. on the sword it would be much appreciated. Good luck to all,
Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
 

Attachments

  • MVC-022F.webp
    MVC-022F.webp
    34 KB · Views: 6,604
  • MVC-023F.webp
    MVC-023F.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 6,607
  • MVC-012F.webp
    MVC-012F.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 6,595
  • MVC-014F.webp
    MVC-014F.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 6,585
  • MVC-015F.webp
    MVC-015F.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 6,568
  • MVC-016F.webp
    MVC-016F.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 6,537
  • MVC-018F.webp
    MVC-018F.webp
    33 KB · Views: 6,608
Upvote 0
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Once in a lifetime Find...Those Coins are in great shape. Congrats and HH
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

GREAT DIMES!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Holy smokes Bootstrap!!! :o Congrats on a unique banner find. :icon_king:
Those Barbers aren't too bad either. :wink: :thumbsup:
-MM-
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Thanks to everyone for the replies and congrats!! Also to our most gracious moderators for the banner nod, it is much appreciated. I'm so stoked right now!! After a long cold winter and waiting for the ground to thaw I've really been chomping at the bit.This was my first post of the season and it made the banner,holy crap I can't believe it!!! I can go right back to the spot but I already hit it good trying to find the tip or any other parts and there were none but thanks for the suggestion.Thanks for the I.D. help Danglangley and everyone else,you guys are all over it!! Any suggestions on cleaning it enough to find the markings without deminishing the value would be appreciated.
P.s. I'm gonna catch you on the silver
little bro'
Thanks again, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

WOW!!!!!!!! Great sword, now that is a piece of history!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Cool sword CW or not!!!! Very nice barbers!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

bootstrap vinn said:
P.s. I'm gonna catch you on the silver
little bro'
Thanks again, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Let him get ahead of ya a bit on the silver..no biggie...you got that sweet Calif. gold coin and that is gonna be REAL tough to top..... :thumbsup: Glad to see ya out now that things are soft enough to dig!!!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

very cool lookin finds! congrats,bigrig
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Awsome saber, Bootstrap. Congratulations on accomplishing a banner find!!!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

To answer your cleaning question...

If it were me, I'd take a dremel tool with a steel brush attachment (not a brass brush), and carefully remove the rust from the blade--being Super careful not to scratch the brass in any way. Then once the rust is removed, look for markings, cover with a very thin--Very Thin--layer of crisco and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees or so.


Best Wishes,



Buckles
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

WOW!! SUPER FANTASTIC FINDS!!
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FINDS AND GETTING BANNER!!
WOW!! INCREDIBLE!
Happy Hunting!!

John
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

congrats on the banner, sweet dimes and I would still be doing the happy dance if I found a sword, shoot I am doing the happy dance for you right now anyway.
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Fantastic finds, Boot!!

I just now saw this post...been too busy reading the detector review forums. Man, you guys are just killing it out there. The barbers are fantastic and would make for a great season total for me, but the sword...dang. What can I say? You just seem to know that 1225 so well, and almost have a sixth sense about digging those large signals.

Way to go, my friend. Posts=1, Banner=1. 1/1=100% Banner. The pressure is on now...you've got a lot to live up to. And big competition from your younger brother.

MP
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

AWESOME :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Mainedigger said:
bootstrap vinn said:
P.s. I'm gonna catch you on the silver
little bro'
Thanks again, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Let him get ahead of ya a bit on the silver..no biggie...you got that sweet Calif. gold coin and that is gonna be REAL tough to top..... :thumbsup: Glad to see ya out now that things are soft enough to dig!!!

I'll get a gold one this year. Watch out big bro!! LOL
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Heck of a find Bootsrap and congrats on your banner!! now I can't wait till it stops raining to get out. You got my blood boilling. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

This has to be the best find I have ever seen. Beautiful coins and an amazing civil war sword. CONGRATS! I am coming on the next hunt with you.
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

relichunters said:
This has to be the best find I have ever seen. Beautiful coins and an amazing civil war sword. CONGRATS! I am coming on the next hunt with you.

Congrats on the sword...and the silver! Cool finds!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

finds like these is what keeps the hobby going. way to go!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom