What's new

My first sword and three Barbers!!Updated with pics of markings. I.D. help?

bootstrap vinn

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
391
Reaction score
34
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Did an old park last weekend with my dad,my uncle and my brother.We did pretty good with a total of six silver dimes,4 V nickles and numerous indian head pennies and one wheat,I think. We went back today,minus my uncle who was sick but we took my brothers friend Dan32981 who is,by the way, now my friend too.Got to the park fairly early and started hunting. Running low discriminate so as not to pass up any gold or other ferrous metal relics,I dug a nail and then a couple bullet shells, then bang a sweet signal came eminating from my trusty little 1225X. Dug a plug and flopped it over,checked the hole,nothing there.Checked the plug,there it is a 1901 Barber dime in sweet shape. Re-checked the plug and hole,all clear. Then I noticed some dirt that had came off the plug as I flopped it out. Ran my coil over it and bang, a 1905 Barber dime! Two silver dimes in the same hole,Gotta love it! In the mean time little bro's diggin' IHP's and V nickles then Bang,he snags a gold ring with initials on it!
Around 11:00 I got a big overload signal by what appears to be an old cellar hole and almost didn't go for it because it was so close to the foundation but I could feel my coil bouncing up off from something hard under the pine needles and leaves.I reached down, cleared the leave and needles and saw part of something that appeard to be brass.I grabbed it and tried to pull it striaght up but I could feel it was bound by roots over the top of it. So I pulled it it straight back horizontally with the ground and it came out like a sword coming out of a scabbard. Guess what it was a sword!!! My first ever!!! Dan, who was about 50 feet away, saw me pull it out and said he saw my do a little happy dance.I don't recall it but I would say I probably did because I was totally thrilled with this find!!! When I showed it to my dad he recognized the broken end and said I dug this and left it because I only saw the broken blade end and thought it was just junk. Thanks dad!!!
We went to lunch and came back and I bet I wasn't at it 20 minutes and I got a sweet little signal on the slope going down to the river,dug a plug, flipped it, and out fell a 1912 barber dime in sweet shape,YEE HA what a day!!!
Thanks for reading and if anyone could help me with an I.D. on the sword it would be much appreciated. Good luck to all,
Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
 

Attachments

  • MVC-022F.webp
    MVC-022F.webp
    34 KB · Views: 6,604
  • MVC-018F.webp
    MVC-018F.webp
    33 KB · Views: 6,608
  • MVC-016F.webp
    MVC-016F.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 6,537
  • MVC-015F.webp
    MVC-015F.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 6,568
  • MVC-014F.webp
    MVC-014F.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 6,585
  • MVC-012F.webp
    MVC-012F.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 6,595
  • MVC-023F.webp
    MVC-023F.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 6,607
Upvote 0
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!!

very clean coins, great sword
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!!

SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Way to dig those signals!!!
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!!

wow wow wow!!! congrats on the sword
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!!

Looks a lot like this civil war sword.... Very nice find. If it is I'd vote BANNER for sure!!!
 

Attachments

  • A-cw-swd-2-s.webp
    A-cw-swd-2-s.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 7,413
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

WTG very nice dimes fantastic sword :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

I'll bet you did do a happy dance after pulling that from the ground! Excellent find!

Grip
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Very nice find!!!!! Technically, its a saber and a superb one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wink:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

awesome sword find! Nice job on the silver! :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Hey big bro. Great finds today! I'll be posting mine soon. I'm cleaning mine up right now. That sword is definatley a BANNER!! Love it! Great dimes! It sure is a blast !
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

AWESOME SWORD!!!!!!!!! Congratulations. Hope you can see some makers marks or engraving on it. :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Fantastic Find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree it's a saber- a cavalry sword
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Outstanding! do you reckon it was in the scabored did you recheck the hole.
Great coins also
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

those dimes look like they were lost the same day they were minted.
wish mine would come out of the ground like that.
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Looks like an Ames 1860 maybe.... Such a cool sword as they incorporated a rapier style guard instead on the sold bell we associate with most Sabres,Am sure some marks are still present could be the one they called the wrist breaked due to the weight on the wrist when used.
I Fence in Electric olympic style fencing in Sabre. I love your find.Point weapon that could cut as well.
Regards,
TnMountains
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

More like a happy Ballet? A find like that requires much more than a dance. Way to go and thanks for posting. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My dance would be so happy I would probably hurt myself with the sword though.

HH,

Dave
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Wow! Very nice finds. I would have been excited in finding the barber dimes. Way to go,especially on the sword :thumbsup:
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Would it be worthwhile for Bootstrap to go back there and see if he can find the broken off tip of the sabre??

...or maybe thats why the weapon was disgarded to begin with. Broken somewhere else and disgarded there. Still worth a look I'd think as it sounds as if he can walk right back to the spot he recovered it from.
 
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Fantastic finds...nice Barbers and great sword...All are in exceptional shape....Yes on the Banner post.
 

Attachments

  • tn_27_jpg.webp
    tn_27_jpg.webp
    520 bytes · Views: 6,206
  • tn_27_jpg.webp
    tn_27_jpg.webp
    520 bytes · Views: 6,212
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

nice coins and very cool sword
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom