What's new

Barber Quarter and Seated Dime in the Same Hole!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
3,152
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday to an old farmhouse I've detected a number of times. Was slowly checking along a wood fence line in front of the house and got a mixed high tone. There are nails and metal plates holding the fence together, so I clearly mistook this target in the past for something in the fence.

I immediately pulled a nail out of the hole. Scanned again, and got a sweet high tone. Didn't even have to do any more digging before i saw a silver rim. Pulled out the 1892-O barber quarter (my first in almost 20 years....somehow), checked the hole again, and there was still another signal! Did some more digging and to my surprise there was also an 1849 seated dime in there!

Not much else to report after that, 1897 V Nickel, 2 thimbles, and a few other odds and ends.

Love the eagle design on the reverse of the Barber!!
 

Attachments

  • 1000018630.webp
    1000018630.webp
    185.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 1000018629.webp
    1000018629.webp
    217.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 1000018633.webp
    1000018633.webp
    172.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 1000018634.webp
    1000018634.webp
    147.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 1000018600.webp
    1000018600.webp
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 41
Awesome! Beautiful coins!
 
Got out yesterday to an old farmhouse I've detected a number of times. Was slowly checking along a wood fence line in front of the house and got a mixed high tone. There are nails and metal plates holding the fence together, so I clearly mistook this target in the past for something in the fence.

I immediately pulled a nail out of the hole. Scanned again, and got a sweet high tone. Didn't even have to do any more digging before i saw a silver rim. Pulled out the 1892-O barber quarter (my first in almost 20 years....somehow), checked the hole again, and there was still another signal! Did some more digging and to my surprise there was also an 1849 seated dime in there!

Not much else to report after that, 1897 V Nickel, 2 thimbles, and a few other odds and ends.

Love the eagle design on the reverse of the Barber!!
Great finds. It's interesting that those two coins were found together given that their mint dates were almost 50 years apart. PS- I agree...the reverse on those Barber quarters is a beautiful design. Congrats!
 
Great finds. It's interesting that those two coins were found together given that their mint dates were almost 50 years apart. PS- I agree...the reverse on those Barber quarters is a beautiful design. Congrats!
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing.
 
Excellent !!!!! Congrats !!!
 
Beautiful silver! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Many times over the years I have found multiple target in the same hole! That is always a big thrill especially when it includes silver.
 
Great finds. It's interesting that those two coins were found together given that their mint dates were almost 50 years apart. PS- I agree...the reverse on those Barber quarters is a beautiful design. Congrats!
Not that uncommon to find a 50 year difference in circulated coins even in modern times let alone back when coinage was much more in common usage and needed/useful.
I find 60's penny's, dimes and quarters fairly often and nickels even older. Had they showed similar wear I wouldn't have made this post.
 
Nice finds :) Thank you for sharing with us :)
 
that pretty sweet, that Barber is at least a 100 dollar coin
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom