cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did my regular 40-50 mile yardsale run last saturday. only bought a few things. four real nice YS buys were metiorites. I immediatly recognised them as what they were and the seller knew also. So, i figuered I was in for a fight to get a good price. I offered a buck each and he accepted. But this isn't a yardsale forum is it? So now jump foreward two hours. I see signs for a new thrift store in an old strip mall. Actually there were three different TS next to each other. Very poor neighborhood. I walk around and nothing very interesting except for this rock. I asked the owner how much and he said $25. I asked if he ever traded for things and he said it depends. I took him out to my car and showed him the metiorites and offered him two of them. I said these two were worth more than his rock and could he sweeten the deal. He asked what did I want and I said 4 old pieces of brass. He agreed and we were both happy.

See the two photos. These are the two metiorites I kept and my new amethyst (almost 9 x 9) my phone did not pick up all the real good purple shades in this rock. going to ask $200 - 250 on ebay

Attachments

• rock-1.jpg
    rock-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 107
  • rock-2.jpg
    rock-2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 106

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know rocks but aren't meteorites worth like between $2 and $10 per gram?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score Dan!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know rocks but aren't meteorites worth like between $2 and $10 per gram?
Yes, some are. But, mine are non-metallic and from China (isn't everything else?) Look on ebay, the chinese have inundated the auctions with their local tektites at about .15¢ gr I might get $10 each. My selling point is they will not have to wait one month for it to come over "on a slow boat from China" ;)

Here is a good description of mine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indochinite

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Hate to hijack the thread but...... I picked this Amethyst geode several years ago. Stands 14" tall & is 9" wide ate the base. I think it's somewhere around 20-25 lbs. Any idea on value?

3484.JPG

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to hijack the thread but...... I picked this Amethyst geode several years ago. Stands 14" tall & is 9" wide ate the base. I think it's somewhere around 20-25 lbs. Any idea on value?

Completed listings on eBay place it between $150 and $250. It'll cost you double to triple that at a rock shop.

Dan- I think your being a little optimistic on that price for the amethyst specimen. I'm thinking $60- $100.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I always thought of my self as a pessimist.
LOL, Yeah I probably have you beat. Course I haven't been to sleep either since I woke up yesterday morning at 5am and pulled an all nighter till 7 this morning. My brain function might be a little off :tongue3: at the moment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread