my house....

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
NOTHING. Well that pretty much says it.? I searched for hours today with nothing but 2 square nails, now i know theyr from the 1700's or 1800's but i have enough now!? there was one thing i saw last fall, it was a square impression in the ground, Could this mean a privy, outhouse, or bottle dump?, It was the size of a shower but square, about the size of an outhouse, but its now overtaken by poison ivy :(? This stuff ruins THing near me >:(? Gotta get some poison ivy killer.? ?Course it didnt help that i forgot my shovel, went all the way back to the house to get it, put bug spray on, went back to the site, realized i forgot my shovel AGAIN, went back to the house and got it, then dropped my headphones in the dirt cause the chords too short and i cant stand up when theyre attached to my detector, I think im startin to loose it lol, speakin of loosin it does anyone else carry a high power BB pistol around in the woods or am i the only one? cause i once got chased by some drunk guys ridin ATVs that had chainsaws! not a good combo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Think i was just going crazy from lack of good finds, but towards the end of the month im going to my uncles house and theres two old bottle dumps there ;D And also lots of metal for the detector, i already found some cool brass and bronze stuff.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, I'm always having to make 2 or 3 trips because I forget stuff out in plain sight but I call those senior moments, what's your excuse? :D JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!!!

This is funny stuff! Sounds like a few days I've had while detecting! I too once had a "run in" with guys on ATV's in the woods (but get this) I was detecting up north in Huron National Forest by myself one day (not a good idea I found out) and was walking down a 2 trak, well, one 2 trak led to another, and then another, and before you knew it, I was "lost"! Stupid compass is for someone that can actually use one I guess! Cuz it didn't do me any good! So I'm walking, and walking, and it's getting darker, and darker, and I'm starting to freak out now because there ARE bears in the woods up there. Well, it's getting really dark now, and I can't see, so, I gathered up some sticks, etc. and made a fire. I had no food, a bottle of water 1/2 full/gone, a 1/2 pak of ciggs, a small can of bug spray, my detector, my digger, and me myself, and I !! Okay, I keep hearing noises, and I can't sleep for fear of being attacked! Bugs are EATING me, and earlier I was hearing the ATV's driving around but now? Nothing except the noises of the pitch BLACK darkness of the woods? :o

So after being up most of the night with no food, no blanket, a detector for a pillow, on guard/high alert against the fear of being eaten by a bear, smelling like I slept in a camp fire, looking like I've been to hell and back, being eaten by bugs 1/2 the night, while about 1/2 freezing to death (cold in the woods at night during spring) - I awoke to some guys riding their ATV's at about 8:00 am! I ran towards the sound, but it was coming from?? So I'm walking, and walking, and finally one of the guys crossed my path, and I waved him down. He says "man - you look like death"! and I told him what happened. While laughing at me for what seemed to be forever, he was kind enough to give me a ride back to my truck (and guess what??) I was only a 1/4 mile from the DAMN thing but didn't even know it because everything looks the same in the woods!

That's a really REALLY bad day of detecting - "believe me"! lol ;D

HH

Lonewolfe

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try scanning the square with your detector. If it was used as an out house or dump, there should be some metallic junk there also.
You could also try a long probe and see if the ground is softer than the surrounding area. Listen for the sound of the probe hitting something like glass. Then dig like crazy. We'll be looking for posts on some nice bottle finds. Good luck!

R

rusty nails

lonewolfe - glad to see u made it back to civilization -
jake - i had one of those squares in my back yard - it turned out to be an old spot for a fire place - the guy that we bought the house off of worked for ohio bell - well i had this brainstorm to dig all the crap out of it and turn it into a goldfish pond - when i got down so far i hit water about 3' down where it had all collected - so i started with shovels and buckets , hands etc - i could not see through the crappy brown water - anyways i ended up working on the base all day until dark - the man i mentioned used to bring old cross arms home w/insulators on them to burn in this fireplace
to keep his two racehorses warm in the winter - i found about 50 insulators about 30 complete ones others were damaged badly or chipped - i kept them all and cleaned them up - some r very old and on the net - they r fetching a good price - this area not high - but 10.00 up each . the moral of the story is that could have been a dump - or if it were an outhouse when they filled them in they put everthing in the hole plus the kitchen sink - it may be worth a couple hours excavating - what have you got to lose ??? Good Luck - LBP - keep me posted !

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for all the imput!? I guess i will have to get some poison ivy killer out there and spray it to death.? Also i tried detecting in it and found nothing but barbed wire from the fence that ran over it.? But being square i dont think its man-made...Ill have to try and make a probe(i made a sifter yesterday ;D).? Also i just went out there again today(really far out there) and found mazes of pathes, small boards over streams, a huge tree, a big pile of rocks thats like 20 feet tall lol, and i found some finds from the 1800's probably(I will post a pic under todays finds).? But one thing i found was weird, it was a square pool at the end of a path.? It was rectangular with rock lining and was kindof collapsed, but it had water in it(murky nasty water) it was only like 2 feet deep but what is it???

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there Jake and keep hunting ! There ought to be more there to find. Good Luck !

Huntin' 59er

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Your sooo lucky, poison ivy is the main problem near me(its even worst then the bugs!)

SparklyStuff

Jul 14, 2005
JakePhelps said:
Is that like sunblack but for ivy? where would you get this stuff?

Yep, it blocks the itching chemical from getting on your skin :). If you have a CVS near you, I know they carry it. Maybe WallyWorld or a hunting supply shop might have it.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I definetly need that!!! But the other problem is u cant dig in the poison ivy cause the roots underground have itching chemicals in them too :(

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, that pool with the rock lining may be an old storm cellar? JIM

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Could be..only the sides are lined though and the whole thing is only about 3 feet deep, I had a pic but my memory card wasnt in the camera so its saved to camera not mem card lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread