My Oldest Token/Coin Yet!!!!!! *1669* New pics.New camera!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Oldest Token/Coin Yet!!!!!! *1669*

shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
timekiller said:
This is what he told me yesterday.To put in coke,or orange juice.He did say that it was not his field though and continued on with the other.I still have not heard back from none of them. :dontknow:I'm not going to do no more with it.Ive cleaned it as best I can shown in the last pics.And don't see nothing wrong with it changing.Because in the last pic if you can see I put a lite brushing of 3&1 house hold oil on it.And right away absorbed the extra up by rubing with cloth litely.I have done this with other things seems find to my eyes.The pics. I thought are good but got a say holding it in your hand to me it's in great condition for something that old made of what it's made of and found the way I find my stuff.
Timekiller!
Do not put that Token in coke, it will strip it right back :o :o :o

No it will be fine after a harsh scrub with wire wool

Doesn't hitting it with the hammer come before the wool?

Dam it I missed a step, what he said..
Michael my detecting buddy, once took a dremel to a Anglo Saxon sceat, much better than a hammer and wire wool :D

Is that true :icon_scratch:
Very True shaun :dontknow:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the info guy's,that did a good job taken the patina off she is a beaut. now. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 000_0307.jpg
    000_0307.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 742
  • 000_0308.jpg
    000_0308.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 733

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

timekiller said:
Thanks for the info guy's,that did a good job taken the patina off she is a beaut. now. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :thumbsup:

You had me going for a moment there :notworthy: :notworthy: :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:

I bet it made you feel better hitting that penny, saying 'bad penny go away'. lol

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:

I bet it made you feel better hitting that penny, say 'bad penny go away'. lol
Figured if I can't make banner then I'll make jokes! :tongue3:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:

I don't think its against the rules to make jokes & the banner. Unless your joke is you brought the token from ebay :D

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Oldest Coin Yet!!!!!!

CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
Can you make out the letters, I have a book on these & could get a full ID.

Looks like:

HIS
PENNY
(in middle, strange, I only seen halfpenny & farthings) :icon_scratch:

IN ????????? 1669 (???= the place name)

Otherside shows a wool rack or something?? With the Owners Name? What letter & spaces do you see?
Front side has IN* DEED around edge * S,in middle says His PENNY II,On Back I see AMBL-I*2omBENOS I think.

Thanks,Timekiller

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/preconstruct/pe/ohe/archaeology/edenhouse/print/ambler.html

Read the story!

GOT IT!

AMBROSE AMBLER 1d 1669 Tobacco-Roll pipes

£85 in book, makes it pretty rare!

Cool, I grew up vacationing down on the Chowan river....not very far from where I live :thumbsup: Nice find

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21

Fantastic find! What was the VDI

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:

I don't think its against the rules to make jokes & the banner. Unless your joke is you brought the token from ebay :D
I can assure you that the only bay this came from is a bay of water. :icon_pirat:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:

I bet it made you feel better hitting that penny, saying 'bad penny go away'. lol

I knew it was a penny all along. I saw the Lincoln Memorial on the first pic. ;D

Nice job cleaning it. :tongue3:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tell ya guys been a six day natural high for me now.Starting to get a little :tard: :BangHead:.went to wally world the other night checked blood pressure it was through the roof.All ready stays high anyway puffin cigs like a freight train.I've always heared treasure hunters who find something don't live long after.I can see that.Completely drive a person crazy! :laughing9:
Beware Timekiller!

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac

Timekiller, I certainly have no understanding why this is not on the banner. This is one of the neatest and most interesting American soil finds I've seen, let alone to be that early AND a TOKEN from ENGLAND! That's one of those that you have to ask the question: "Exactly how many of these could there POSSIBLY be on our side of the pond?"

Simply a terrific find with an amazingly incredible story. You have my bow and my banner vote Sir! I wish you the best of luck on that site!!

Josh Sherman

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jrsherman said:
Timekiller, I certainly have no understanding why this is not on the banner. This is one of the neatest and most interesting American soil finds I've seen, let alone to be that early AND a TOKEN from ENGLAND! That's one of those that you have to ask the question: "Exactly how many of these could there POSSIBLY be on our side of the pond?"

Simply a terrific find with an amazingly incredible story. You have my bow and my banner vote Sir! I wish you the best of luck on that site!!

Josh Sherman

Well said.

If there are 10 (max.) in the whole US I would be surprised.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
jrsherman said:

Josh Sherman

Well said.

10? I'd guess there's the two or three found in NC and that's it!

I've hunted many mid. 18th century to maybe 1820s sites and I can tell you that you sure don't get many, if any, finds that predate the site by many years. Coins would be the most common from circulation, but not usually relics and tokens. I'm not sure I'm making much of a point here, but I'm just trying to say oddball very old finds show up in VERY low numbers, and that token is definitely not something anyone would expect in North America. It's like that 1300s Edward silver penny from here, something we never imagined turning up, and am pretty sure we'll never see again.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
jrsherman said:

Josh Sherman

Well said.

I've hunted many mid. 18th century to maybe 1820s sites and I can tell you that you sure don't get many, if any, finds that predate the site by many years. Coins would be the most common from circulation, but not usually relics and tokens. I'm not sure I'm making much of a point here, but I'm just trying to say oddball very old finds show up in VERY low numbers, and that token is definitely not something anyone would expect in North America. It's like that 1300s Edward silver penny from here, something we never imagined turning up, and am pretty sure we'll never see again.

10 max. I don't think that many either, but always best round up a bit on these rare ones because there could easily be undiscovered ones. The model in the UK for extremely rare coins is for every 1 recorded 9 are not. So its possible a couple of others have been found, its all guess work anyway. Better not to over egg it & be conservative, but I do understand that those very well might be it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
jrsherman said:

Josh Sherman

Well said.

10 max. I don't think that many either, but always best round up a bit on these rare ones because there could easily be undiscovered ones. The model in the UK for extremely rare coins is for every 1 recorded 9 are not. So its possible a couple of others have been found, its all guess work anyway. Better not to over egg it & be conservative, but I do understand that those very well might be it.

Funny, quite a few years back I bought some stuff and had three tokens mixed in. I didn't think anything of them, and was about to just mix them in a lot like I had purchased to let them go, but then I thought even a few bucks would be worth it so sold the three and ended up with about $100. That certainly opened my eyes to what the little devils can be worth. The best of the best must be worth at least a few grand or maybe more, but I have never seen an Ebay one sell for more than maybe $600 USD. Being there is so many there must be some super rare and highly collectible ones.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
jrsherman said:

Josh Sherman

Well said.

Funny, quite a few years back I bought some stuff and had three tokens mixed in. I didn't think anything of them, and was about to just mix them in a lot like I had purchased to let them go, but then I thought even a few bucks would be worth it so sold the three and ended up with about $100. That certainly opened my eyes to what the little devils can be worth. The best of the best must be worth at least a few grand or maybe more, but I have never seen an Ebay one sell for more than maybe $600 USD. Being there is so many there must be some super rare and highly collectible ones.

Yeah, some of the strange shaped ones; hearts & hexagons etc.. It would be rare in the UK for any to top £100 unless it was the best known example.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just a idea of the other types of things found from this place and a few other ones.Minus any newer type things you see and five little drawers of metal objects I'm not sure of and of couse all the scrap copper, brass, and lead.All found since january 09.

Attachments

• 000_0320.jpg
    000_0320.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 715
  • 000_0321.jpg
    000_0321.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 699
  • 000_0326.jpg
    000_0326.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 671
  • 000_0325.jpg
    000_0325.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 692
  • 000_0324.jpg
    000_0324.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 691
  • 000_0323.jpg
    000_0323.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 700
  • 000_0322.jpg
    000_0322.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 687
  • 000_0327.jpg
    000_0327.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 694
  • 000_0328.jpg
    000_0328.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 678
  • 000_0329.jpg
    000_0329.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 701

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
jrsherman said:

Josh Sherman

Well said.

Yeah, some of the strange shaped ones; hearts & hexagons etc.. It would be rare in the UK for any to top £100 unless it was the best known example.

Probably because we don't see the best ones sell. There's gotta be some the collectors would flip over.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac

HoLy CrAp Timekiller!!!!!! For 9 months of work, that is an amazing fricking set of relics for one place!!!!!!! Not to mention, is that a COB I see in there???? Next to that beautiful cut piece?!?!

WOW Again Sir, you have a banner site, let alone just the token!! Well done on finding that one!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread