My Worst MD Experience But My Best Find Yet!!

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My family and i just got back from a vacation at Yosemite Nation Park in Cali, and we spent two days driving up there. Along the way we would stop for breaks and while my family would be resting and sight seeing I would be MDing. Our second night heading up there we stopped at a hotel that overlooked the ruins of where an auto repair shop used to sit and a creek further away. Given that the ground was filled with rocks i tried my luck at the creek and it was a wise choice. after only 20 minutes of searching the water and the muddy rims of the creek i found a large portion of what was either a necklace or a bracelet that has been gold plated... my first gold find! There are no hallmarks on it, and I have no idea what it was a part of, but it still made my day; one month into MDing and I have already found silver and gold :thumbsup::icon_thumleft:

However, two mornings later I woke up with a rash on my arm, and once I realized that it was poison oak (there were a few of these plants by the creek i tried to avoid) I knew that I was in trouble. I, unlike most people, not only get an itchy rash but I am very allergic to the the plant and as I sit here writing this post 50% of my body is covered in either thick red rashes or orange puss balloons (i will not be adding that photo to this post, it looks like I just got off the set of a Quinten Tarentino movie). but even given what I am having to endure because of that search I am glad that I found my first gold.

img0905z.jpg

img0906bi.jpg

img0907oy.jpg

img0910lt.jpg

Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool Braclet man!! Poison Oak, NASTY STUFF,looks as though your skin is melting off! Poison Sumac is WORSE! God Bless Chris

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That poison finds me real fast even in the winter. Good luck and nice find!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice and unique designed bracelet! Watch out for those green leaves in clusters of three! Iv'e had poison oak and poison ivy and poison oak is much worse!

Attachments

• poison oak.jpg
    poison oak.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 903

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the poisen oak. I'm really allergic too. Hit the ibruprofen hard and it will really cut down on the itchiness. I take 3 or 4 at a time until the rash stops spreading and throw away everything I wore around the time of the breakout. Also don't forget to wash down your steering wheel, door handles, keys etc or you'll just keep giving it back to yourself.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My congrats and my heartfelt sympathies!

If someone walks by poison ivy, I get it!

Rest, take care of you! There will be treasures waiting when you can get out again.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the braclet,not the oak.:icon_thumleft:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find PL, do you know what the picture of the long haired lady is as I found the exact same lady on a 18 k pendent beach hunting 4 years back, or if anybody knows please post up.............

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it could be part of rosery beads. I found a rosery with a similar look

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leaves of three let them be!
A wise saying to follow.

That appears to be real gold from the pics. Have you had it tested?

OP
OP
Pepperlizard

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool find PL, do you know what the picture of the long haired lady is as I found the exact same lady on a 18 k pendent beach hunting 4 years back, or if anybody knows please post up.............

I haven't looked into it too much. My first thought when i found it was that it was the face of jesus, however when I got out of the setting sun and into the hotel room I was staying in I was able to see that it wasn't. other than that I haven't the slightest clue, I'd like to know though if anyone else knows.

Leaves of three let them be!
A wise saying to follow.

That appears to be real gold from the pics. Have you had it tested?

I'm going to have it tested when I get home at our local "trustable" gold and pawn shop... I can't do it myself and I'm not taking it to any of the 4 million places I have driven past in the last few weeks that advertise "WE BUY GOLD"... I would rather have someone that my family knows do it rather than some roadside shop in the middle of nowhere looking for tourists who need quick cash.

Also, the itching finally stopped this morning... took it long enough. My family keeps telling me that, "I should be quarantined for my body herpes" because even though its done and dying out now there are still the remnants of where the rash covered 60% of my body, HA!

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't looked into it too much. My first thought when i found it was that it was the face of jesus, however when I got out of the setting sun and into the hotel room I was staying in I was able to see that it wasn't. other than that I haven't the slightest clue, I'd like to know though if anyone else knows.

I'm going to have it tested when I get home at our local "trustable" gold and pawn shop... I can't do it myself and I'm not taking it to any of the 4 million places I have driven past in the last few weeks that advertise "WE BUY GOLD"... I would rather have someone that my family knows do it rather than some roadside shop in the middle of nowhere looking for tourists who need quick cash.

Also, the itching finally stopped this morning... took it long enough. My family keeps telling me that, "I should be quarantined for my body herpes" because even though its done and dying out now there are still the remnants of where the rash covered 60% of my body, HA!
Not to worry,it'll grow out,get some more sun!

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead: sry about the rash.......I know what you are going thru

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
def an awesome find! congrats and get well soon...

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Definitely not a rosary. Rosary beads are in multiples of 10's (decades) and 3's. This has neither.

So sorry about your rash! Benadryl works well for itching. So do oatmeal baths. If really bad, go to doctor. They can give you Prednisone to bring down inflammation and itching. Best bet...avoid areas where poison oak, ivy and summac grow. The gold is just not worth the pain.

Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread