Mysterious Tin Coin - part of Templar legacy?

vastik

Sep 29, 2009

Attachments

• Tomsmasonilluminatocoin1.jpg
    Tomsmasonilluminatocoin1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,740
  • Tomsmasonilluminatocoin2.jpg
    Tomsmasonilluminatocoin2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,749

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Memory of the 1900 Mission = Andenken an die heilige Mission 1900 (German)

To The Holy -or- The Saint = an die heilige

IHS = Jesus (Latin)

Well, I just read your other site... I guess the translations were already done.

Also contains the Jesuit Seal...

I think it's a token or seal or ? ... not a coin.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vastik

Sep 29, 2009
This coin has been analyzed at a metallurgy lab at the University of Toronto. It is 98% tin. Pewter was not mentioned by the metallurgist.

It is also not glued to anything. It stands alone. Not sure whether it's a coin or a medallion.

Still quite a mystery.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Montana Jim said:
Well... I hope this piece holds the drama in it's history that you hope it does.

I found a clue! But it costs 9.9 Euros on ebay... Too rich for me...

cc80_1.JPG

DCMatt

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vastik, if I understood the statement of your expert correctly, he believes this object dates from the 14 or 1500's? I'm by no means any kind of expert on fonts or very early engraving techniques, but to substantiate his opinion, is any one aware of another "coin" (die produced object) dating from the 15th century that would use these perfect fonts, or the larger interior stylazied fonts? :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
Why does this expert think this coin is 14th or 15th cent.? It sure has a lot of fine detail, but I am no coin expert.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Coin/Token :dontknow: this looks as though it was made through a milled process, which would explain the clear detail, milled coins first appeared in the UK during the reign of Elizabeth1(1561-70)

The reverse looks as if it might have been deliberetly defaced in some way, which sometimes accurs on early English coins. Nice find and interesting thread :thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly not a coin & is likely a token/medallion for use by the Mason's or celebrating an event.

Info only:

Also Britain produced Tin coins in the reins of Charles II (1684-85), James II (1684-87), William & Mary (1689-92). But none during 14-1500s.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Silver Searcher said:
Nice Coin/Token :dontknow: this looks as though it was made through a milled process, which would explain the clear detail, milled coins first appeared in the UK during the reign of Elizabeth1(1561-70)

The reverse looks as if it might have been deliberetly defaced in some way, which sometimes accurs on early English coins. Nice find and interesting thread :thumbsup:

SS
I agree, looks like it's milled. You can see the "S" on the other side, even if just slightly. :)

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed Crusader, and I would add that the back was not defaced. The back shows clearly the reversed image of the front, so there's no reason to deface it. . The explaination for the criss-crossed lines was given by Mountain Jim; this relic was cemented within or onto another object (guess would be a decorative border for a sash mount)

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
The explaination for the criss-crossed lines was given by Mountain Jim; this relic was cemented within or onto another object (guess would be a decorative border for a sash mount)

Agreed, most likely to hold it to ?

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: vastic....are there any signs of a form of adhesive on the Coin/Token :icon_scratch:

SS

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Vastic, you wrote:
"In 2006 a Canadian collectibles dealer bought a substantial number of coins and tokens from a collector as one 'lot'."

Question: Was the Canadian collectible dealer also a coin dealer?

You wrote:
"He showed it to an architect friend who had been privileged to visit the Vatican's archives. The architect suggested that the coin might be historically valuable..."

Question: Is the architect also a coin collector or dealer?

You wrote:
"The dealer then showed the coin to various experts in order to decypher the symbols on its face..."

Question: Were any of these experts asked to ID this object as a coin or token--in addition to being asked to decipher the symbols?

Personally (and I'm not a coin dealer), I believe it is a relatively modern religious pewter token. That said, I hope it turns out to be a valuable coin.

Don..

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"vastic....are there any signs of a form of adhesive on the Coin/Token"

S.S., if you look very closely I think you can see it yourself. It is a grey material adhering to parts of the back. There is also discoloration existing on the back, but not the front which may be remains of this cement or adhesive. (We don't even know if the dealer who was describing this relic as a "token" might have cleaned the back to remove "unsightly" cement, and missed a few spots)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread