MYSTERY ARROWHEAD

ObsidianQueen

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I arrowhead hunt in the Owens Valley in California often, and two years ago I found a BEAUTIFUL obsidian arrowhead. (may be a spear point or something, i just don't know what to call it so...) I don't have any pics but it is about the size of my middle finger long, thin, and narrow. it has a shape VERY similar to clovis arrowheads, but the sides are less curved. The attaching end is EXACTLY like that of a typical clovis and side my family has 50+ arrowheads (mostly broken or incomplete) and I have never seen this base before I thought I would ask. I would LOVE to be able to date it tentatively but the closest thing I have found is the clovis. I don't think clovis people lived in california. Any thoughts? i will try to post pics soon if you want.
ps this past year i found ANOTHER perfect arrowhead at the SAME SITE! it is small and looks like a typical, triangular, more modern arrowhead.

Upvote 0

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Without a picture,,,who knows what it could be. There are people on here that know EVERYTHING,,just ask em, lol. However, without looking at it how could you expect them to know what it is?? Put a little effort into learning,,take a pic!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to hunt at fish creek hot springs. I've found obsidian fish hooks as well as points, & if you go across the creek & up the hill, there are grinding holes in the boulders. it's been over 30 yrs now, but there's probably stuff there still. Is Owens valley still glorious, & is Toms cabin still there?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...like this?
a-ppFig09-1_humboldt_projectile_points.jpg
Figure 9.1. Humboldt style projectile points, Humboldt County, Nevada. Left, Humboldt-triangular; right, Humboldt-constricted base.
Photo by Donald Austin

OP
OP
O

ObsidianQueen

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hunted at fish creek once but no luck it is definitely still glorious and Toms cabin rings a faint bell in my memory... id have to ask my dad. he used to spend his summers in Bishop and we visit often

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sounds like a Humbolt...5 to 6,000 years old

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread