Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Msbeepbeeb... " Were there any sounds when Mike was attacked besides him and the other dogs?" ... I assume you mean did my son and I hear anything...? NO. The slider door was closed and all the dogs were pacing the deck. But when Mike ran off it still took the dogs 20-30 seconds to engage. And yes they were howling .... pissed and mad. But we did not hear what Mike engaged on the edge of the wooded yard.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think he deserves a shot of jack daniels

Hell ya.... you would have heard me wimping out from Tn. to Indy. I got a "pair" but they can be shrunk. Anybody who says NEVER or EVER has not engaged in battle. Wife does the J.D. but I'm not giving him a Coors Light... period.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like you Limitool

Now don't get confused..... We do really love and take of my dogs but there has to be a line drawn. I'll stich, fix, frontline, staple, love, worm, heartworm'em and have'em x-rayed but "Sharing the Jack... talk to the wife..." (hey my rapping career just took off). But "Sharing the Lite... get a life". Hey I think I have a new career after retirement..... I'm a retired drummer who did classis rock but maybe I have a new "thing" going. (Sorry Mike). But seriously he is doing ok... His brother "Ike" is still very confused about Mikes transformation.... maybe someday he'll need help....?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the Mike update. Glad it was good news this time.

Drinking-Dogs-Jack-Daniels.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Mike will join your merry band! Glad Mike is healing, hopefully he regains his confidence, and a little common sense, when it comes to being the first to engage with out his buddies there beside him. Hope the "hunt" is going well. Ike will probable figure it out. Maybe Mike will agree to you having that drink for him.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe Mike will join your merry band! Glad Mike is healing, hopefully he regains his confidence, and a little common sense, when it comes to being the first to engage with out his buddies there beside him. Hope the "hunt" is going well. Ike will probable figure it out. Maybe Mike will agree to you having that drink for him.

As long as Ole' Mike wants a Coors Light.... I'll drink it for him. But if he wants the J.D. he'll have to talk to the wife.

Mike is still healing up just fine and now runs with the other dogs at about 80%. If that was me I'd be lucky to be at 20%. DOGS ARE TOUGH !!!!! I mean real tough. Still his real deep wounds are looking horrible but they don't look infected. Their just wide open and healing from the inside out. If I ever get a coyote here I'll let ya all know... I'll let Mike chew a little. Later, Brad

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps a pack of coyotes. It sounds to me like more than one animal was involved, and probably why the other dogs wouldn't join the fight.

I agree around here the coyotes will send a female in to a house dog and the female will be in heat. The house dog will follow the female to the woods where the pack is and then they will kill the tame dog and eat it. Coyotes are very smart animals. They will run from humans but I wouldnt want to get into a pack of them. I carry a big 4 ft stake that is heavy wood or a tater rake when I am out hunting for protection just in case.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree around here the coyotes will send a female in to a house dog and the female will be in heat. The house dog will follow the female to the woods where the pack is and then they will kill the tame dog and eat it. Coyotes are very smart animals. They will run from humans but I wouldnt want to get into a pack of them. I carry a big 4 ft stake that is heavy wood or a tater rake when I am out hunting for protection just in case.

I've never personally seen this happen but I have heard stories before of this happening. And now that I think about it all the missing dogs that just "came up missing" were male dogs. Now I have seen a lot of coyotes around here but I have never seen a "pack" of them. 2 is the most I ever saw together except dens with young. I was under the impression that coyotes were more or less solitary hunters (unlike wolves). But they would share a large meal with other coyotes. I've just never heard or seen a "pack" of coyotes.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never personally seen this happen but I have heard stories before of this happening. And now that I think about it all the missing dogs that just "came up missing" were male dogs. Now I have seen a lot of coyotes around here but I have never seen a "pack" of them. 2 is the most I ever saw together except dens with young. I was under the impression that coyotes were more or less solitary hunters (unlike wolves). But they would share a large meal with other coyotes. I've just never heard or seen a "pack" of coyotes.

I used to have an office that overlooked a marshland. All winter long I would see three coyotes hunting deer together. Sometimes one would split off if it was hunting for rabbits but usually they'd all be close to one another. And they would be hunting during daylight hours.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now don't get confused..... We do really love and take of my dogs but there has to be a line drawn. I'll stich, fix, frontline, staple, love, worm, heartworm'em and have'em x-rayed but "Sharing the Jack... talk to the wife..." (hey my rapping career just took off). But "Sharing the Lite... get a life". Hey I think I have a new career after retirement..... I'm a retired drummer who did classis rock but maybe I have a new "thing" going. (Sorry Mike). But seriously he is doing ok... His brother "Ike" is still very confused about Mikes transformation.... maybe someday he'll need help....?

drummer (ret) ? makes me recall the old days when I traveled and was creative consultant for bands like, eagles, supertramp, moody blues, elo, alice cooper, lynard skynard, kiss, nowadays it's just miley cyrus

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did you know that the eagles wanted to call one song ' motel missouri?' I changed that.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking there were more than 2 that attacked Mike, but less than your total number of dogs, because they left when your dogs came off the deck. Unusual ? Maybe a large family of them? What ever their number, make it less! Glad Mike is almost back to his " touch me and I'll bite you " self! HH. To all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea... it now appears that Mike is almost back to normal. Still has 2 deep wounds that are healing up. There probably where the 2 longest fangs went to the bone. He gets pissed if you touch that area... so I guess he doesn't need a second opinion....? Your right Msbeepbeep.

Jeff-Gordon.... Thank God "Hotel Missouri" was not used!!!!! I didn't make a living drumming (retired from auto-industry) but it was a BLAST!!!! There is nothing like being up on stage twirling a set of drum sticks and kicking out all those classic rock songs. And the "benefits" were grrrreat! Free beer, paid to play 4 hours and then (at times) pick of the lot at 1:00 am. I couldn't hang now... but it was fun.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never thought this thread would still be alive . I posted here three weeks ago. But reading it has got me thinking. Also since I first saw this thread I saw a very large coyote in a spot where I was going to civil war relic hunt. My question is this ...if you were down on your knees digging a target , would a coyote deem you as being small and attack you while you were digging a hole ? Or is their natural fear strong enough to stay away ?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my humble option if your out alone be armed and aware. Wildlife now days seem to be behaving more aggressively than before. The answer to your question has many variables, and we'd all like you around to show us your finds! HH!

OverKill

Jul 4, 2009
Dunlap , Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen Coyotes, and Bobcat here where I live,and a couple years ago, a Black Bear cub was hit by someone from the Sheriffs Dept. on Signal Mountain. It was night time,and the car had a brush guard on it. It just pushed it,and it ran off. I travel that same spot every day,and night to get to/from work,and I live 5 minutes from that spot. Anyway,now while MDing. I carry my pistol with me if I'm MDing in the woods. Get your carry permit.
Here's that link to the Sheriffs dash cam hitting that bear.

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in west Davidson county, on the greenway that connects radnor lake to the cumberland river, and we have LOTS of coyotes here, some the size of german shepherds.

I don't know about bears, but my dad has seen big cats (cougars) out by their place on the TN river/KY lake area outisde Erin.

Hope the dog gets better...

Might be interesting to put some trail cameras out where you think it happened.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
A lot of people from Tennessee and other Southern States are seeing a lot of large cats.. they have seen them or know someone who has.

Hey, Kuger.. maybe we do have one behind every tree!!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread