Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope Mike's doing better. Looks like he is. I hope he was up to date on his rabies shot, and they gave him a booster. No need to test saliva, that won't show up there. People or other animals can catch it from being exposed to the saliva though. Unfortunately I have had some extreme education on the rabies virus. When I was little I was bitten by a dog they thought had rabies. The dog had to be isolated 6 months. It was a mean old dog, it did not have the disease and I didn't have to get the shots, but I have garnered a wealth of education about the disease. I won't even go near an animal I don't personally know. Got scared real good as a kid.

My brother died in 2010. I got his cat. Pretty cat, but almost totally feral it reminded me of your story about Mike. The cat was used to being outside and going inside only to eat or when it was cold. I do not allow my animals outside. PERIOD. It's too dangerous anymore. I even had a bear and cougar here in Maryland. Saw them at the house. Makes going outside scary. Anyway, Smokeythecat got out last September. Something whooped his sorry cat butt real good. Bitten really bad. It took 4 weeks to catch him, he outsmarted havaheart traps (they make them for coyotes too), and he went to the vets right away. (I had to use a commercial drop trap and remote TV monitoring to catch him.) He got all cleaned up and a rabies booster, and now he doesn't even think about going outside. He is no longer feral, and let's me pet him and he "boings" around the house he is so happy. I hope Mike will do what Smokey did, and become tame, for both of your sakes. Try some brief head pets to start.

Ole' "Mike and Ike" the now 44 lb. feral dogs brothers are coming around (slowly). They both want human love and attention but hang onto their instincts. That's why I was so reluctant to pick him up and put into car for trip to vet. His PAST behavior to me and others would make ANYBODY hesitant... "once bitten twice shy" (that would be ME). But sir your patience with your late brothers cat is to be admired and good for you (and the cat).

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admire Mike and hope he recovers fully. As a note of humor, has it crossed your mind that it could have been a squatch?

Mr. Gordon.... Not only has it crossed my (little) mind but this may be a fact. Last spring during the birthing of the new squatchs's I did piss off a family of them. Now since I live in a totally wooded area without much to look over my property (except my 7 now wimpy dogs) this possibly did creep into my mind. Excuse me.... "Mike" just said "bite me"... I meant 6 wimpy dogs. I am now in the process of patching things up before our usual Squatch / Family Thanksgiving... any more questions jeff-gordon??? Anyway.. good luck Sunday.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks but last sunday took me out of any chance for the cup, there's always next year

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say the word squatch crossed my mind (what's left of it! Lol) they are reported to "stink" but doesn't account for the saliva. Scientific community is just now making links between bears and squatchs. Maybe squatchs are feral humans , stranger things have happened. Probably my ancestors! Your dogs are not wimpy they are smarter than we are!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your property is in those coyotes territory. Coyotes don't like dogs in their hood. They see them as a threat and will return. I bet your neighbors have had incidents as well. Have had them kill off many working fowl and even stalk my then young step daughter playing. That's when I started hunting them. Quite a few years ago and a pile of dead coyotes later. Good luck with your shep and speedy recovery. Hope he got in some good jugular bites on em himself.

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panther caught on game camera near Roan Mountain, Tennessee.

This was on FB several days ago, it was shared by a friend who lives in Cleveland, TN

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Well, it's not a house cat.. you can see the ghost spots on this critter.

I live near Cleveland, TN.. but I didn't share this picture.

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I near Cleveland Tennessee too and have not heard of a cat sighting. Also my son lives in Erwin Tennessee which is at the base of Roane Mountain and has said nothing about a big cat . He is an expect outdoorsman and guide. There fore I don't believe it.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear that one of Mike's wounds opened back up. Poor lil baby.

I'll admit I don't know anything about these kinds of attacks. My Great Aunt and Uncle used to have a huge 20+ lb. cat that used to beat up the neighbor farm dogs on a regular basis. Uncle Scott paid many a vet bill because of that cat. But that cat never touched the dog he grew up. As mean as family legend says that cat was...I don't think he ever did this kind of damage.

Anyway have you tried asking on some hunting sites? Whatever got poor Mike sounds more dangerous than a pack of gang members.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope that kitty crosses my path here on chilhowee. I could use a dozen pair of slippers. :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
coy dog is what occurs when female coyotes and feral or house dogs mix -- the female coyote used to lure male dogs to their doom is often called a "coy dog" by many

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RIVER RAT.... Yea I saw the black panther pic myself earlier this week. Don't know what to make of it.

Feral Humans...? I swear when I was traveling around the country visiting different auto assembly plants I met many which I swear were feral!!!!!!!!!!!!

Property in coyote territory...? Oh yea... my nearest neighbor is 1 mile away as the "crow flies". All wooded w/95% oak trees. Ridges and ravines everywhere. Turkeys and deer everywhere. Hearing coyotes here at night is just a normal sound. They yipe and yelp and drive my dogs nuts at times. My large female mixed breed dog has come back home many times all bloodied up fighting with something but NEVER (yet) has she came home hurt. But even she stayed on the deck and didn't engage or investigate till Mike started screaming.

Dogs smarter than us...? Yep... I believe this statement also. When they stop and go stiff you better look around. That's why when I was exploring the cave out back this summer and the dog(s) wouldn't enter another smalll opening near the front... I didn't either. Saw many bobcat tracks around that area. I did finally enter that part but I was VERY CONCERNED. (more balls than brains I guess).

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes can have large territories. Now, your neighbor's land might be in another packs stomping grounds? There also could be a boundry in your place between a couple rivals, hard to tell. When you hear coyotes yapping back and forth between hollers its most likely two rival packs challenging each other and talking smack. Dogs whizzing on the trees and bushes around your woods will drive yotes crazy. They do not tolerate trespassers

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A pack is different than a single.
Its "play" or pecking order when my dogs surround one of their own and get it on its back with a dog on each leg,throat,belly and keep tormenting.Seen it in wolf Shepherds years ago too.
Canine groups of just a few have been filmed catching a different breed and stretching them multiple ways in the process of killing them. Yote vs fox,wolf vs yote, domestic vs wolf, mostly with our help.
Dogs not wanting to leave porch with coyotes in shadows reported here in Michigan.
Now there are areas hounds can not be run as wolf pack in area kill them.
10 or 11 beagles killed at a minute a piece pace and last reported two larger hounds out of a bear hunting group during chase,not by bear and when wolves would not leave collars were recovered following day, one off eaten dog.
When "working" an area by pack,very different than passing through.Packs relocate by necessity on occasion and their softer cousins not all ways a deal breaker. Geeze,nearly like us.

Yea, I know what you mean. I use to coon hunt with my neighbor. I had walkers and he had black and tan/ redbone mix dogs. When that coon droped from the tree, the dogs had him spread eagled and one would be putting the bite where it really hurts.

The fox use to hit the chicken houses around here. We used a dying rabbit recorded call that drew them in like a magnet. They would split up and attack from two directions. My .22/250 was always a one shot kill. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Last edited:

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a pack of coy dogs. Half bred and meaner than snot! I've always found it fascinating that dogs nor coyotes will have anything to do with a half breed,only other coy dogs.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Thank you much, Number9. Will do. :thumbsup:

Remember.. No metal detecting at the Civil War camp either!

A friend at work said his brother had found several Civil War items on their property while clearing land.
... his dad didn't want anyone using a detector on their place. They live at the foot of Chilhowee Mountain south of Crystal Geyser.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They live at the foot of Chilhowee Mountain south of Crystal Geyser. .....I'll be right over

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread