What's new

NC Creek Hunt

dlos

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
269
Reaction score
137
Golden Thread
0
My buddy and I tried something new today and got great results. We don't often hunt creeks but decided to give some that looked good a try. A lot of sticky mud but it paid off. We also "pool" the finds when we go out together. Finder of the POTD gets first pick, it alternates from there until they're all spoken for.

Picture quality isn't great and they are on the large size again...

All finds:
IMG_0061_zps9d2a9d9a.jpg


Some of the nicer pieces:
IMG_0063_zps11fc89c8.jpg


IMG_0064_zps106b9a3e.jpg


IMG_0065_zpsaa603860.jpg


IMG_0066_zps754d5df3.jpg


These are what I ended up with, not too bad, I didn't find the POTD but did very well finding the kirk in this picture:

IMG_0070_zps28f070d4.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Those were some good finds
 
Point of the day I am guessing? I think that creek is where my next hunt would be. What area is that from dlos? What state if you do not mind me asking. That is a fine day of hunting. Nice seeing fresh artifacts.
 
ROCK ON-----:occasion14:
 
Not too bad of a day for sure! I've never done POTD - Down here it's every man for himself.
 
I don't think I could. I'm attatched to a piece as soon as my hand becomes the first to touch it in possibly thousands of years.
 
Great hunt you had with all that. In the water or on the bank? I have tried hunting creeks and cant find .... in the water! I just go back to dry land after.
 
POTD = Point of the Day. We came up with the concept years ago while out on tougher hunts where it simply took the both of us to get in/out of places due to risk being to great to pursue the area alone. On those days if just one of did well the it sucked for the other. The first day we did it it was a little weird but got easier. It's paid off for both of us. Most of the time you end up with what you found anyway. If one of us has a banner type day we make concessions too. The days are more enjoyable without it being a competition, more ground gets covered and you root each other on. We enjoy it.

All of the finds were from creek beds, dry to moist, where erosion had done its thing and exposed sections. Nothing found today was sitting in water. We learned a bunch and hope to be able to use the knowledge to get into other similar areas we've ignored in the past.

Thanks for looking!
 
Sounds like a great team... good luck.
 
I understand the POTD concept, we've shared finds too. Helps fight the bad greedy feeling when one is having a sucky day. But I'm the first too gloat non-stop if I get the pick of the day. Nice finds, I like the triangle one.
 
I understand the POTD concept, we've shared finds too. Helps fight the bad greedy feeling when one is having a sucky day. But I'm the first too gloat non-stop if I get the pick of the day. Nice finds, I like the triangle one.

Your funny. I think I would probably push somebody over to get a point myself. Not hurt them but in fun.
 
Yeah, there's still competition over who gets to call their find the POTD! Rules are simple:

1-must be whole, no nicks, dings or missing parts
2-i no whole pieces then the least damaged
3-if all whole pieces then oldest, rarest etc...

Sometimes it just works out you keep what you find. Days where one of us finds most or all, the other guy stays happy and doesn't go home empty handed.

Again, this was a tough concept to start out with but now it's just part of the hobby for us when we go together. We also always work it out at the start of the day. If one or the other doesn't feel it, we say it and move on. So far so good.
 
Really nice finds. I bet we are hunting the same water, just different spots. Nice work. That sticky mud is something, even for a "tar heel".
 
Your funny. I think I would probably push somebody over to get a point myself. Not hurt them but in fun.


Lol ! My brother and I saw a killer point at the same time from a boat once. I jumped out of the boat he jumped on me tackling me I tripped him and crawled across his back for the "SCORE". All in fun as the boat drifted away. He is a crazy Jar Head. We had to swim and get the boat. Guess we needed some rules like that. You guys did well. Nice post.
HH
 
Tnmountains said:
Lol ! My brother and I saw a killer point at the same time from a boat once. I jumped out of the boat he jumped on me tackling me I tripped him and crawled across his back for the "SCORE". All in fun as the boat drifted away. He is a crazy Jar Head. We had to swim and get the boat. Guess we needed some rules like that. You guys did well. Nice post.
HH

Good grief. Sounds like a rugby game.
 
You guys finding artifacts this time of the year are killing me! My water finds are under a minimum of 3 feet of ice, patiently waiting for May to get here when we can finally get out on the water again. Keep them coming...makes my winter go by a little bit quicker.
 
You guys finding artifacts this time of the year are killing me! My water finds are under a minimum of 3 feet of ice, patiently waiting for May to get here when we can finally get out on the water again. Keep them coming...makes my winter go by a little bit quicker.

If it is raining and cold I use that time to go back through my old finds and flint piles. I might make some frames or redo some. Keeps you a bit busy while the cold is there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom