What's new

NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

nvradar

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
558
Reaction score
139
Golden Thread
0
Location
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

ANY OF YOU OLOGIST FELLAS ABLE TO TELL ME IN LAY TERMS(OR PICTURES) WHAT ROCKS AND SUCH TO LOOK FOR THAT HOLDS GOLD, OTHER THAN THE ONES THAT HAVE THE YELLOW STUFF STARING AT YOU OF COURSE. I'M IN NEVADA AND I SEE TONS OF STRANGE FORMATIONS WHILE DEER HUNTING. JUST WANT TO KNOW IF I'VE BEEN WALKING PAST MY FORTUNE. I SEE LOTS OF QUARTZ AND ALWAYS LOOK CLOSE. BUT THE NOT SO OBVIOUS IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW A BIT MORE ABOUT. THANKS. NVRADAR

[mod] Please Don't "SHOUT" in large type. [/mod]
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

I am not a geologist by any stretch. But I do prospect as my main hobby. What you want to look for is quartz. White quartz veins, dirty quartz veins, any unusual colored veins. Also Pyrite and chalcopyrite are both good indicators because they form in hydrothermal deposits, same as gold. You should post this in the gold hunting forums, I am sure some of the regulars would have more/better suggestions then me.
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

Also anywhere near galena, lead sulfide. Pretty distinctive crystal formation, fairly easy to identify once you've seen it. Also look for teluride.
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

Mr Moderator I am not sure what you mean by "shouting" I am using caps so I can see what I write. :dontknow:? Is this a bad thing??? I will try some of these fancy buttons up here and see if it helps.

Thanks much for the info guys. I do see a lot of quartz and odd rocks in my travels. I will look up the rocks you have mentioned and see what they look like. thanks again fellas. I have found some crysatal patches at Rye Patch, maybe a closer look is in order there. NVRADAR
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

nvradar said:
Mr Moderator I am not sure what you mean by "shouting" I am using caps so I can see what I write.


[mod]Okay, you have special permission to use the caps. :tongue3:[/mod]
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

:headbang: :hello2: :notworthy:
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

Radar,
The info above need not be repeated in my post. They are all correct. Now to really confuse you, I will add that the largest and best producing gold mine in the USA is in NV and the gold in the ore is so fine, it cannot be seen! A geology degree in indeed the best tool out there but until then, trust this Tnet and the many books available on the subject. GL TTC
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

Hi NVRADAR,
I would grab a few samples each time out and have them assayed. Or you could crush and pan to sample. There are other minerals out there besides Gold/Silver which can be very profitable. PGM,s are around $2k per Oz.
TerryC is right about the Carlin Trend gold, Microscopic Hydro-Thermal deposits. Look for Rust stained Quartz outcroppings and pay attention to the contact zone between the Quartz and the Host rock.

Pick up a copy of "Fists Full of Gold" by Chris Ralph. Chris is a Reno resident and has propected all over Nevada. His book explains mineral deposits in great detail. NevadaOutbackGems.com

HH and remember Sulphides are your friends
Steve
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

Hey there TerryC
I was just hoping to learn what this stuff looks like, the host rock that is. I'm googling the names of the stuff above to see what it looks like. Ya never know... if the old timers found it why can't we!! Especially with our electronics. Nevada does produce a whole lot of gold for sure. Want to see a hole in mother earth check out the mine in Ruth Nv. WOW!
The amount of knowledge here undoubtedly surpasses any and most degrees that one can obtain. No greater teacher I think than getting your hands in it. One more thing Sir... thank you for serving our great nation!! NVRADAR
 
Re: NEED AN "OLOGIST" EYE

Hello Hemisteve!
Thats some more good info I will put to use. I honestly have a hard time hunting when I find quartz laying about. I think I should pick up a GPS unit to mark these finds . I would really hate to be one of these guys that found it and lost it!! I hike quite a ways when out there. What is PGM's? I will pick up that book for sure. Thanks again for the info. NVRADAR
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom