- Joined
- Jan 9, 2007
- Messages
- 14,115
- Reaction score
- 4,540
- Golden Thread
- 4
- Location
- North Carolina
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 5
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
sasnz said:looks like a standard 9mm to me![]()
crazyjarhead said:sasnz said:looks like a standard 9mm to me![]()
That's what I was thinking too
CATFISHJK1 said:My guess is .45 ACP. I don't think our guys had 9mm in 1967.
I concurdkw said:The bullet itself is a 230 grain full metal jacketed projectile on which the metal jacket has disintegrated over time leaving the lead core behind. If you were to look straight down from the tip of the bullet in to the case you can probably see the jacket remaining inside of the case where it was more protected.
The cartridge as a whole is a .45 ACP made for the military by Western Cartridge Company(Winchester) in 1967.
CATFISHJK1 said:My guess is .45 ACP. I don't think our guys had 9mm in 1967.
dkw said:crazyjarhead said:sasnz said:looks like a standard 9mm to me![]()
That's what I was thinking too
Without a measurement or knowing the size of the hand in the picture we don't know the size. The extractor groove gives us the answer. Although there are a few exceptions, most .45 ACP and 9x19 cartridges will look like the ones in the picture below. From left to right, .45 ACP---.40 S&W---9x19. The extractor groove on the .45 has a long taper from the body. The 9mm has a very short taper. The .40 is almost the love child of the two by falling right in between on taper.
If would have been a Red Ryder BB, I could of figured it out, but beyond that I'm lost. 
this tells it alldkw said:The bullet itself is a 230 grain full metal jacketed projectile on which the metal jacket has disintegrated over time leaving the lead core behind. If you were to look straight down from the tip of the bullet in to the case you can probably see the jacket remaining inside of the case where it was more protected.
The cartridge as a whole is a .45 ACP made for the military by Western Cartridge Company(Winchester) in 1967.