What's new

Need help Identifying this button

Bootyhunter1971

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
387
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I found this button where they tore out a sidewalk in my downtown area. It is very heavy and I think it's made of lead. Front has 42 on it and the back has what I think is C.R with W.C underneath that. Any help appreciated. Thanks for looking and HH.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0234.webp
    100_0234.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 100_0233.webp
    100_0233.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_0234.webp
    100_0234.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 295
Looks like a lead seal rather than a button.
 
PBK said:
Looks like a lead seal rather than a button.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really familiar with lead seals, what were they used for? Any picture references would be great. A lead seal in my mind would be to seal and envelope or something but wouldn't the numbers be upside down and backwards so the image would appear the correct way when sealed? I don't know. Thanks
 
Historically, lead seals were used for centuries on bales of goods, and on cords or wires securing the mouths of bags.

In more recent times, they have been used on railroad boxcar doors. You may also seen some of them crimped on to wire loops securing utility meters. Here's an example of one of those seals found by another TreasureNet member:

star.webpstar2.webp​

And here's a link to more information about railroad seals:

http://www.railroadiana.org/hw/pgSealers.php
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom