What's new

Need ID on old pewter pocket knife

muttandjeeps

Full Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
239
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This knife was found by my son last weekend at the site where the No Stamp Act buttons were found in the spring. I've never seen a pewter handle before, and was wondering if anyone can put an age on it. Thanks in advance! HH
 

Attachments

  • PA040268.webp
    PA040268.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 594
  • PA040267.webp
    PA040267.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 577
Schrade knife co. and also Imperial are known to use pewter in their knife handles.
 
Upvote 0
Sometimes the blade will have makers name or logo. Anything?
 
Upvote 0
It's what is called the "Barlow" style, and Barlow was also a popular knife maker back in the 20s or maybe earlier, up until the early 1950s. My Grandad had one the carried all the time. But I am not saying it is a Barlow, just could be.. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Is this a single blade? My guess is that if it is truly pewter handled that it is very old. I'm pretty sure the fingernail groove was present on some early folders. The blade does look to be in better shape than most of my early ones, though. Does the soil there treat the iron nicely?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom